Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2022, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by JAXPax
I had similar happen on an airline other than United recently. I had an exit row aisle seat at the 2nd door of a 757. When I go to board, it spits out a new boarding pass for the window seat one row back. I said what is this? The gate agent told me that she moved me so a parent could sit with their child. Only like a 1 hr flight from south Florida to ATL so I said whatever. Ended up getting my original seat anyway since the child wasn't old enough to sit in exit row, and I showed my original mobile boarding pass to the flight attendant.
Brilliant move on the GA's part. Glad you got to keep your exit row seat.

David
Boraxo and tcdtcd like this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by DELee
Brilliant move on the GA's part. Glad you got to keep your exit row seat.

David
I've never been moved out of an exit row but I have seen numerous late boarders removed for being unable to speak English (i.e. being unable to understand the flight attendant). In one instance, an FA even tossed an older woman whose son was translating for her, saying that the FAA required everyone in an exit row to be able to understand flight crew instructions.
KenTarmac likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
And of course the New York Times ethicist has weighed in (with reader comments):

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/03/s...social-qs.html
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
And of course the New York Times ethicist has weighed in (with reader comments):

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/03/s...social-qs.html
Uh, for those of us who decline to provide the NYT with additional info, what's the conclusion of the ethicist?

David
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DELee
Uh, for those of us who decline to provide the NYT with additional info, what's the conclusion of the ethicist?

David
Very lame…here is a taste

Personally, I’m a softy for switching where children are involved, and less so for adults (if I have a great seat). I suggest that stewards look elsewhere for volunteers if fellow passengers try to shame me from the sidelines. And I always ask if an upgrade is available. The complimentary wine and warm nuts of business class are a balm to many wounds.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Very lame…here is a taste
Wow. That's weak.

David
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 6:18 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Stewards?!
lincolnjkc, wrp96, chavala and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aside from all of the other reasons, GAs moving people around without asking assumes that just because I'm on a single passenger PNR, I'm traveling alone. That might be an OK assumption most of the time, but not 100% of the time. I travel pretty regularly with a companion who is often coming from/going to a different origination/ultimate destination, but we will travel together on the long flights in the middle - obviously on different PNRs in this case.
SPN Lifer and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Mar 4, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Doppy
Aside from all of the other reasons, GAs moving people around without asking assumes that just because I'm on a single passenger PNR, I'm traveling alone. That might be an OK assumption most of the time, but not 100% of the time. I travel pretty regularly with a companion who is often coming from/going to a different origination/ultimate destination, but we will travel together on the long flights in the middle - obviously on different PNRs in this case.
This. Unfortunately have been separated due to equipment change only, but I can understand that.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Now coming to a major newspaper near you....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/magaz...eats-with-you/

The comments are outstanding, with many great anecdotes
SPN Lifer and IAH-OIL-TRASH like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I've never been moved out of an exit row but I have seen numerous late boarders removed for being unable to speak English (i.e. being unable to understand the flight attendant). In one instance, an FA even tossed an older woman whose son was translating for her, saying that the FAA required everyone in an exit row to be able to understand flight crew instructions.
That is the correct thing for the FA to do. She should never have been allowed to board with that seat assignment; the GAs are supposed to ask if you are able and willing to assist. If you don't understand the question you get moved to another seat.

Unfortunately many FAs turn a blind eye to this; it's nice to hear that some actually follow the safety rules.
Old May 2, 2022, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LondonElite
On a recent flight into EWR on an Embraer I was in 1A. 1C boards a little later, his (presumably) wife behind him. He puts both their bags above his seat, sits down, says “don’t worry, I’ll take care of it”, and she walks on. When boarding is complete, he leans across the aisle and asks me if I wouldn’t mind switching seats with his wife. I thought it strange that he didn’t ask 1D....
(I know the original post has dated)

I can read a whole bunch into this

1) Pretty obvious he preferred a) direct aisle access for both him and his wife, or b) an aisle between them. Take your pick - there is a difference. I'm guessing the latter because he didn't ask 1D.
2) One might infer he really didn't want to sit next to his wife, but a seat across the aisle would be a tolerable situation, so he tried and failed to get you to move (his disappointment may not have been overwhelming).
3) He sent her back into the cabin so she couldn't observe him NOT asking 1D about moving. He didn't want the risk of 1D said "Yes" (you never know what some oblivious overly-sympathetic do-gooder doofus might do) w/ the result being her sitting next to him.

I think you did him a favor
manstein58, VegasGambler and 8MiHi like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
request for a seat change? - what would you do?

not sure if this is best suited for a poll - but want to get people's thoughts on this.

Yesterday - OOG-SFO (afternoon flight) that I was taking for work....finished work in the morning and need to take this flight to be at work this morning
no upgrade or even reasonable WFBF options - limited E+ seating even with tickets purchased a month ago
but was able to score 777 bulkhead aisle seat in the rear cabin that had nice leg room (I am 6 ft, lean) and got on early due to status and had room for my briefcase/work carryon (which includes stuff that can not be checked)
as I was getting comfortable - a young woman who was assigned the seat next to me (which had been one of the few last empty seats on a full flight) at the last minute (was open 2-3 hours prior) - asked me if I would change seats with her son so that they could sit together....she said that she couldnt change with the person next to her son because it was a family of 3 in the middle row and her son had an aisle seat about 10 rows up.....

how could I say no?
(hence part of this post)

so, I change seats - the plan has already boarded, there is no overhead space for my briefcase which then needed to be stored under my general E seat for the now cramped flight......

I have various thoughts on this.....but see what others think or would have done.
uanj and 8MiHi like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
You’re nicer than me. Normally I wouldn’t mind changing seats, but not if I’m going to give up legroom
or change seating class.

May Karma come back your way in spades.
EmailKid, uanj, trooper and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by mfirst
not sure if this is best suited for a poll - but want to get people's thoughts on this.

Yesterday - OOG-SFO (afternoon flight) that I was taking for work....finished work in the morning and need to take this flight to be at work this morning
no upgrade or even reasonable WFBF options - limited E+ seating even with tickets purchased a month ago
but was able to score 777 bulkhead aisle seat in the rear cabin that had nice leg room (I am 6 ft, lean) and got on early due to status and had room for my briefcase/work carryon (which includes stuff that can not be checked)
as I was getting comfortable - a young woman who was assigned the seat next to me (which had been one of the few last empty seats on a full flight) at the last minute (was open 2-3 hours prior) - asked me if I would change seats with her son so that they could sit together....she said that she couldnt change with the person next to her son because it was a family of 3 in the middle row and her son had an aisle seat about 10 rows up.....

how could I say no?
(hence part of this post)

so, I change seats - the plan has already boarded, there is no overhead space for my briefcase which then needed to be stored under my general E seat for the now cramped flight......

I have various thoughts on this.....but see what others think or would have done.
I would have done this trade. It was a reasonable ask on her part even though the seat swap is not great, but the parent child thing would get to me.
drewguy and zspitzer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.