Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
People can be ignorant, or tired, or both, and mistakes happen. I'm happy that in over 1200 flights, I've never encountered a true poacher. And as I've also never encountered anyone who said no to anything remotely reasonable (the worst I got was a "no" for a window to aisle request on a 5 hour flight), I will also continue to say "yes" to basically anything within the same cabin.
I had a pass poacher once. I had connecting flight back home through ORD which was a last-minute booking so I wasn't able to get an F seat on the final leg. I was already GS by then so I got on the plane and took a seat in E+. I refresh the app and lo and behold someone must have missed the flight as I had been upgraded seat to 4A. I grab my carry on and head up only to find someone in it.

I politely say, 'you're in my seat'. He claims it's his and whips out a boarding pass....with my name on it. I call the Purser over and she confirms it is the correct pass and person for that seat. I tell her to hold up and take out my NJ driver's license which obviously has my name and photo. She makes the guy hand over his (my) pass and sends him on his way back to steerage.

Turns out he grabbed it off the gate desk when the GA was trying to locate me. He claimed that he was me and probably figured I was a no show instead of having pre-boarded.

Last edited by AugustusM; Sep 28, 2023 at 9:39 am
Old Sep 24, 2023, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AugustusM
I had a pass poacher once. I had connecting flight back home through ORD which was a last-minute booking so I wasn't able to get a F seat on the final leg. I was already GS by then so I got on the plane and took a seat in E+. I refresh the app and lo and behold someone must have missed the flight as I had been upgraded seat 4A. I grab my carry on and head up only to find someone in it.

I politely say, 'you're in my seat'. He claims it his and whips out a boarding pass....with my name on it. I call the Purser over and she confirms it is the correct pass and person for that seat. I tell her to hold up and take out my NJ driver's license which obviously has my name and photo. She makes the guy hand over his (my) pass and sends him on his way back to steerage.

Turns out he grabbed it off the gate desk when the GA was trying to locate me. He claimed that he was me and probably figured I was a no show instead of having pre-boarded.
And they let him fly at all after that?? Feels like rather than sending him back, they should have sent him forward — to the jetbridge.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That happened to me once. Lots of flying of the same aircraft type, always in the same seat, and one day I boarded while exhausted, sat down, and somewhat overheard a "commotion" between another pax and the FA. The FA came over, asked if he could see my boarding pass, I pulled it out, said "oh crap, sorry", and moved to the seat across the aisle.
2A is "my seat" in F... except when it isn't. Most of my trips are 2A->2A outbound and 2A->2A return. On those occasions where someone else got to booking 2A before I did it takes a conscious effort to not slip into that seat on boarding. Usually I do one last glance at the BP before sliding into the row to confirm seat and more than once I've caught myself just in the nick of time (When I'm in 2F seem to be my closest calls)

There's a difference, IMO, between a poacher and inadvertent mistake -- premeditated seaticide vs. involuntary seat-slaughter, perhaps?
Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
And they let him fly at all after that?? Feels like rather than sending him back, they should have sent him forward — to the jetbridge.
Yeah, it was just a walk of shame back to economy.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:05 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
The only time I'm EVER giving up my seat is either for my wife or to move from Y to J/F. Otherwise, no way, no how.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Kind of clever. Though still WRONG (next person on u/g list should get the seat )

Originally Posted by fumje
Ya, there is that.

No consequences, maybe why people keep doing it
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:06 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
I had a pass poacher once. I had connecting flight back home through ORD which was a last-minute booking so I wasn't able to get a F seat on the final leg. I was already GS by then so I got on the plane and took a seat in E+. I refresh the app and lo and behold someone must have missed the flight as I had been upgraded seat 4A. I grab my carry on and head up only to find someone in it.

I politely say, 'you're in my seat'. He claims it his and whips out a boarding pass....with my name on it. I call the Purser over and she confirms it is the correct pass and person for that seat. I tell her to hold up and take out my NJ driver's license which obviously has my name and photo. She makes the guy hand over his (my) pass and sends him on his way back to steerage.

I'm sure you know the facts far better than anyone. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the GA upgraded you, printed the BP, and noted you had boarded. Instead of stopping the usual frenzy as they are trying to get the flight out on time and going on board, they might have simply said to the Pass holder, "would you mind walking this on the plane and giving it to the upgrader and you take his seat in Y". That's happened to me twice in the last couple of years.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I'm sure you know the facts far better than anyone. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the GA upgraded you, printed the BP, and noted you had boarded. Instead of stopping the usual frenzy as they are trying to get the flight out on time and going on board, they might have simply said to the Pass holder, "would you mind walking this on the plane and giving it to the upgrader and you take his seat in Y". That's happened to me twice in the last couple of years.
That actually makes a lot of sense as to how it happened. If I recall correctly, it was a full flight, like most ORD-EWR flights were, so this seems to be very likely. I always wondered how he got away with taking my pass.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Well, it happened to me again on way home yesterday EWR to ORD. I boarded and took my seat in 3B next to a gentleman. Hi wife was in 2B and asked if we could swap so she could sit with her husband. I almost wanted to say no as this was my first flight after reading all the comments in this post. I said OK and as we switched, she was giving me a bit of an attitude. She had previously already loaded her carry on to the bin next to her husband so she was assuming that I was already going to do the swap with her. I paused for a second and almost said NO. I decided to let it go. Have a flight to DFW this week so we'll see how it goes. I thought I was pretty laid back about this sort of thing but it is starting to irritate me a little. I think I might try the not speaking English thing next time.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by korea71
I think I might try the not speaking English thing next time.
Or just say, "no thanks."

But if the seat's the same, why does it even matter that wife had already placed her things in the row 3 overhead?

Also, if there's bad blood on either side, I'd rather be the person reclining into 2B than the person being reclined into in 3B.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Or just say, "no thanks."

But if the seat's the same, why does it even matter that wife had already placed her things in the row 3 overhead?

Also, if there's bad blood on either side, I'd rather be the person reclining into 2B than the person being reclined into in 3B.
It was mostly her entitled attitude and she was just giving me the courtesy of letting me know before she switched seats. If she didn't give me an attitude, I wouldn't have even given it a second thought.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was mostly her entitled attitude and she was just giving me the courtesy of letting me know before she switched seats. If she didn't give me an attitude, I wouldn't have even given it a second thought.
Really? It sounds like she still asked before just sitting in your seat and telling you that you were swapping, even if you may have interpreted it differently.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
This I get if her attitude sucked. When I fly with my wife I try to keep the heavy bags near me if we are close but not together so I can get them down and have ready for her .Probably helps everyone as it is usually faster for me to grab a bag down than her, and if she's behind me a row or two I can just stash her bag in an empty row so it is there for her.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Not sure I understand. Since you said you had already taken your seat 3B, how was she just "letting you know" before switching? Are you saying she had an attitude implying that the swap request wasn't actually a 'request' at all and she was in fact ordering you to swap?
Old Sep 25, 2023, 2:11 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
That actually makes a lot of sense as to how it happened. If I recall correctly, it was a full flight, like most ORD-EWR flights were, so this seems to be very likely. I always wondered how he got away with taking my pass.
This happened to me 4-5 years ago... Thought I would miss my flight, and they gave away my upgrade, but I made it running from connection. Got put in coach, fine, on the plane. I'm sitting in my exit row aisle seat (content because it's only a 90 minute flight) and a passenger boards at the end, walks up to me, and goes "You're in my seat, boy!" Thankfully I barely got through "Who are you calling..." before the gate agent was quickly standing behind her with my new boarding pass.

(I took my bag down and went up front... overheads full of course, F/A said he would put my bag in the closet and it disappeared from my sight... after we push back he hands me the receipt for a gate check tag, which did not make me happy. I had a projector in my bag which suffered damage - bag was a bit tight, but I didn't plan on checking it - and of course I got the whole "not responsible for electronics in checked bag" BS from the baggage service office....)
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.