Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2023, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by korea71
I did not expect or request compensation.
When you encounter the same thing repeatedly (for me, every 4th or 5th flight on an airbus, sometimes twice in a row) you may feel differently about it.
as219 and jcturnbull like this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 11:37 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I was up front (plus points upgrade at purchase) PHL-IAH a couple of weeks ago in 3C, with my kids 3 D and F. Guy comes up from row 1 bulkhead and asks if I would swap with him so he could sit by his wife who was presumably next to me in 3A (she had not boarded yet). Even if solo I would not have switched as I hate bulkheads and want my bag with me at all times. I would have just said no and told him to ask the guy next to him up front to switch with her, but since my kids were there I just said "No, I have to sit by kids" and he frowned and walked back to his 1D seat. HIs wife got on shortly after and sat next to me promptly falling asleep for the entire flight. I don't fault folks for asking, per se, but no means no.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
I was up front (plus points upgrade at purchase) PHL-IAH a couple of weeks ago in 3C, with my kids 3 D and F. Guy comes up from row 1 bulkhead and asks if I would swap with him so he could sit by his wife who was presumably next to me in 3A (she had not boarded yet). Even if solo I would not have switched as I hate bulkheads and want my bag with me at all times. I would have just said no and told him to ask the guy next to him up front to switch with her, but since my kids were there I just said "No, I have to sit by kids" and he frowned and walked back to his 1D seat. HIs wife got on shortly after and sat next to me promptly falling asleep for the entire flight. I don't fault folks for asking, per se, but no means no.
I’ll bet his wife was grateful 😉
Old Sep 12, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
When you encounter the same thing repeatedly (for me, every 4th or 5th flight on an airbus, sometimes twice in a row) you may feel differently about it.
For sure. Mentally noted now. Have gone through several seat swaps without issue. I am usually very accommodating, As an aside, I was travelling home with 2 of my kids last year when my daughter and myself were upgraded to first while we were boarding. I gave my upgrade to my son. They were not seated together and I decided not even to try to have them sit together by asking others around them. They were 15 and 13 at the time and well behaved. Funny thing was, my son declined all drink and food service thinking that I would have to end up paying extra for it. haha. He was so bummed out when he found out as his sister was telling us everything that she had after we landed. I guess he will know for the future.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by Kacee
A few weeks ago on a UA Express EMB-145 flight from Lake Charles to IAH, sitting in like 5A, the person in front of me kept shoving their seat back forcibly from the moment they sat down. Much further than normal recline. My knees were firmly stuck into the back of the seat to the point of being painful. I asked if he could put his seat upright and I got a grunt in return and further forcing back of the seat. So, after pushback and while the flight attendant was doing final walk-through, I so helpfully pointed out to her that the seat in front of me must be broken because it won't stay upright and is reclined so far I'd have trouble evacuating. First, I think she knew it and didn't want to be bothered but now had to. Second, since we were away from the gate now, she made the man in 4A move to another open seat, which was in the last row.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I am very hesitant to mention any issue with my seat until after arrival ever since I got a flight delayed 0h50 for telling someone that the cocktail tray could slide completely out.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
Can anyone top this?
A few days ago I pre-boarded with 1Ks and was in 3A, already a few minutes into a Netflix movie when I felt a tap on my shoulder. A man asks if I would mind switching with his wife because she’s terrified of flying and he needs to be next to her.
Is she in a window seat?
Yes, right behind you.
OK sure. I gather up my stuff, leave my seat, and look at the woman in 4A (last row FC) and she’s just sitting there reading a newspaper. I then see the wife standing there who just vacated 7A.
I look at the husband with a W.T…? look on my face and he’s thanking me.
Um, no, this is not happening, sorry.
He starts throwing a fit saying I already agreed so now I HAVE to switch.
I told him I’m sure the guy sitting in 7B will be more than happy to switch seats with you.
His answer: “I can’t sit in a middle seat - I’m claustrophobic”

I just started laughing. I mean uncontrollably laughing as I pushed past him to retake my original seat. He actually tried to block me at first. Meanwhile boarding was held up during all of this.

The entire 2 hour flight he sat there glaring at me and every time I met his eye I couldn’t help but burst out laughing.
I’m still laughing typing this.
I'll bet his wife would have been a lot less terrified if he'd given her his F seat and taken her Y seat. 😂
Old Sep 12, 2023, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by chavala
Can anyone top this?
A few days ago I pre-boarded with 1Ks and was in 3A, already a few minutes into a Netflix movie when I felt a tap on my shoulder. A man asks if I would mind switching with his wife because she’s terrified of flying and he needs to be next to her.
Is she in a window seat?
Yes, right behind you.
OK sure. I gather up my stuff, leave my seat, and look at the woman in 4A (last row FC) and she’s just sitting there reading a newspaper. I then see the wife standing there who just vacated 7A.
I am so tired of these scammer attempting to take advantage of people (and sometimes succeeding with elderly, etc.)

If you don't want to say "NO" outright maybe the correct response is:
  • Sorry we have to wait until boarding is completed, you are blocking the aisle
  • Sorry company policy prohibits me from changing seats
  • Sorry I can't give up a window/aisle because I suffer from aerophobia/pollakiuria
  • Show me your spouse's BP (this will send them off to retrieve the phone, while you dig in)
The worst part is having to sit next to someone who is stale at best but that's why I bring my own IFE and earbuds
Old Sep 12, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I am so tired of these scammer attempting to take advantage of people (and sometimes succeeding with elderly, etc.)

• Sorry I can't give up a window/aisle because I suffer from aerophobia/pollakiuria
  • Show me your spouse's BP (this will send them off to retrieve the phone, while you dig in)
The worst part is having to sit next to someone who is stale at best but that's why I bring my own IFE and earbuds
Sitting in First on a UA A319 out of ORD middle of last week, I had bought the F ticket so I was sitting in the seat that I wanted in the window. Person next to me boarded with who I presumed was wife and teenage son. They laughed and made a comment to the son about "Maybe when you're older you'll get the upgrade." He went to the back, and they took the aisle next to me, and the bulkhead aisle. A couple minutes later, my seatmate asks me if I wouldn't mind swapping with his wife since "they took away our seats we reserved together for some reason." I was one step ahead of this and was already looking on the UA app at the flight status, so I clicked the upgrade list, tilted my phone toward him, and said "Maybe when your voluntary upgrades cleared a few minutes ago, that's when it happened?" Dead silence the entire rest of the flight.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
I am very hesitant to mention any issue with my seat until after arrival ever since I got a flight delayed 0h50 for telling someone that the cocktail tray could slide completely out.
Post-takeoff should be fine. They're not going to divert over broken recline lock.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott

A simple “no” or “no thanks” is my reflexive response. Once I realized that if the person requesting can’t accept the answer “no” as graciously as they’d accept a “yes,” they’re not asking; they’re telling. It relieves me of having any sort of conversation with them.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 4:30 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I really like the company policy one. I will have to use it next time an airline employee asks me if I mind switching seats with someone.
kirkwoodj and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
My wife sits behind me in an aisle seat.
She doesn’t like being reclined on.
Lady immediately across the aisle asks if I would swap seats with her so she could sit next to her husband who’s next to me.
I agree on the condition she doesn’t recline.
But immediately after take off she does and when confronted says ‘too bad’.
Thankfully only a 3 hour flight.
But that’s if for us, no more Mrs and Mr Nice Gal and Guy.
If you want a specific seat….book it.
We are not moving!
Old Sep 13, 2023, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I would have called the flight attendant, explained the situation, and asked to be reseated in my assigned seat.
DJ_Iceman, lupine, chavala and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:42 am

Programs: 100000 mile flyer
As Nancy Reagan once said "Just say NO."
OR
say "Sure, $500 in cash. No problem.."

Lessons learned after too many horror stories I've experienced in 50 years of flying both for work and for leisure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.