Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
want a better seat or sit with family - then pay for it - this nonsense must stop

The other day - my 80 year/old mother - who is visually impaired and not very big (but quite used to traveling by herself - and while clearly 'entitled' to things like early boarding and wheelchairs, etc but opts to not take advantage of such things) was on a SFO-CLE flight
We bought her ticket - aisle seat in E+ (which she prefers - she even turns down F or us trying to get her upgraded)
She boards the flight - sits down and a middle aged male (I will withhold other descriptions for obvious reasons) comes up to her and asks to change seats with him so he can sit with his family - wife and teenage son who are in my mom's row....he even gives her some sad story about why they are traveling and how they need to sit together - which clearly my mom does not believe - but she feels a little pressured (maybe 'bullied' is the correct term these days) into changing seats. So she gets up - grabs her carry on (because thats all she travels with) and then goes to the other seat

apparently the other seat was 6 rows back - not E+
and was a middle seat with a "person of size" in the window seat who was "over-flowing" into her seat....

at least my mom has (had?) enough spunk in her to then go back to tell this guy who clearly was trying to scam her that the seat change was not acceptable.

To UA's credit - the FA who was seeing this evolve was able to intervene before things got ugly and found my mom a seat in a row towards the back where she could have the entire row to herself.

If UA didnt step up - I clearly would have fired off a nasty email to them about this nonsense about changing seats that seems to be getting worse?
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mfirst
The other day - my 80 year/old mother - who is visually impaired and not very big (but quite used to traveling by herself - and while clearly 'entitled' to things like early boarding and wheelchairs, etc but opts to not take advantage of such things) was on a SFO-CLE flight
We bought her ticket - aisle seat in E+ (which she prefers - she even turns down F or us trying to get her upgraded)
She boards the flight - sits down and a middle aged male (I will withhold other descriptions for obvious reasons) comes up to her and asks to change seats with him so he can sit with his family - wife and teenage son who are in my mom's row....he even gives her some sad story about why they are traveling and how they need to sit together - which clearly my mom does not believe - but she feels a little pressured (maybe 'bullied' is the correct term these days) into changing seats. So she gets up - grabs her carry on (because thats all she travels with) and then goes to the other seat

and was a middle seat with a "person of size" in the window seat who was "over-flowing" into her seat....

at least my mom has (had?) enough spunk in her to then go back to tell this guy who clearly was trying to scam her that the seat change was not acceptable.

To UA's credit - the FA who was seeing this evolve was able to intervene before things got ugly and found my mom a seat in a row towards the back where she could have the entire row to herself.

If UA didnt step up - I clearly would have fired off a nasty email to them about this nonsense about changing seats that seems to be getting worse?
How is this UA’s fault?
iluv2fly, DJ_Iceman, rch4u and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
How is this UA’s fault?
Not only is it not UA's fault, but it sounds like the Flight Attendant went above and beyond and swiftly handled it in a way that made everyone happy.
iluv2fly, DJ_Iceman, rch4u and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
It is always funny how there is a whole vacant row in the back, but the family who wants to sit together won’t move to those seats.

Your mom should have asked for the E+ seat fee, at least.
Boraxo, ARR72 and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 6:08 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Not implying at all that it is UA's fault - sorry if it came across that way - but I did comment "To UA's credit" in how they helped resolve the issue - or potential issue
but rather speaks, to the contrary, of the difficulties UA/FA/etc face when dealing passengers who see their world differently with regards to their own expectations

having given up my seat on multiple occasions for various reasons....this is a topic that we have discussed when "we" are the ones asked to move but -

It would be interesting to see the response from all the GS/MM'ers/1k's here if their own 80 year/old mother found herself in a similar circumstance - especially if she didnt speak up and/or no one intervened.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Something is a bit odd here: was there actually family sitting in E+ or did the guy just lie? Typically UA takes a very dim view of people sitting in E+ that have only an E ticket. It's certainly nice to find your mom and empty row but I'm surprised they didn't kick the seat poacher back to E.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Just say no. I once told an asker that my seat was worth $213. That is what I paid to sit in it for that flight. They disappeared and surrounding pax giggled.
nnn, chavala, KenTarmac and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

It would be interesting to see the response from all the GS/MM'ers/1k's here if their own 80 year/old mother found herself in a similar circumstance - especially if she didnt speak up and/or no one intervened.
My 80 something parents do all sorts of things I’d prefer they don’t. Other than me telling them after the fact “don’t do that” I’m not sure what can be done if not supervised by me.
wrp96 and nlf like this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I find no issues with asking for seat changes as long as it is like for like (aisle for aisle, E+ or E+) or better (Eco -> First is fine with me :P). I've frequently been in the position of last minute plane changes scrambling seats resulting in my partner and I in non-adjacent seats. I never ask about a seat change unless I have something of equal or better value.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Hilmar Lehnert
Something is a bit odd here: was there actually family sitting in E+ or did the guy just lie? Typically UA takes a very dim view of people sitting in E+ that have only an E ticket. It's certainly nice to find your mom and empty row but I'm surprised they didn't kick the seat poacher back to E.
UA has a new dynamic seat map thing that guarantees that children will be seated with at least one parent, which will put them in E+ if there are no regular E options that fit.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by angetenar
UA has a new dynamic seat map thing that guarantees that children will be seated with at least one parent, which will put them in E+ if there are no regular E options that fit.
No it won’t. It will put them in preferred zone seats, not E+. If someone is being assigned there without paying its either due to status, B booking code, or human intervention.

if you have actual proof of that occurring by the seat map, I’m sure UA would take a report under their bug bounty program because their family seating policy very clearly excluded E+
bocastephen and VRFast like this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... It would be interesting to see the response from all the GS/MM'ers/1k's here if their own 80 year/old mother found herself in a similar circumstance ...
Sounds like she handled the situation quite well.

Originally Posted by angetenar
This may create a new class of seat swap requests. UA tries to address a problem and we get this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat

What kind of (self-censored) takes advantage of an old lady? This makes me furious. Grrr!

So now I have to train my octogenarian parents and in-laws to check BPs or ask for a cash "reseating fee"? Actually that won't be necessary because my mom and MIL would say "no" faster than a NY minute.

However I do like the "upgrade fee" response I'm gonna try that next time myself.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:11 am

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Yes it's difficult to say no sometimes and I do feel guilty for turning someone down when they ask to swap. But I always remember that they had the chance to select their preferred seat by paying a fee in advance, chose not to and are now trying to get a better seat for nothing.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 7:01 am

Programs: UA MM

I'm surprised the FA didn't move that whole family to the empty E- row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.