Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I would have called the flight attendant, explained the situation, and asked to be reseated in my assigned seat.
Indeed. I'm baffled the OP chose to accept "too bad" (even if it was just a 3hr flight)
SPN Lifer and chavala like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Post-takeoff should be fine. They're not going to divert over broken recline lock.
No but once that happened to me and they made me go back to coach for landing. Walk of shame all the way to a middle seat in back of the plane.
Now I don’t say a word until we’ve landed!
Old Sep 13, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is a frequent and known issue with the "new" F seats. You should notify the FA and ask for comp, they can award it on their handheld device. Otherwise UA has no incentive to fix these promptly.
This has happened to me more than once and was indeed compensated on the spot by the FA. Didn't even need to ask, they is a well known issue and I am sure has a fixed compensation level.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 2:49 pm

wow, 6 years later I cant believe this thread is still going. I've had a couple more of these over the years.

I have actually learned I'm more likely to get upgraded so we ALWAYS seat my wife in the better seat so if/when I get upgraded I can let her upgrade and I'm not stuck in the middle by myself.

We flew back from HNL a year or so ago and we didn't sit next to each other-- 12 hour flight and guess what-- everyone was ok.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by luv2fly1st
"Sure, $500 in cash. No problem.."
Yes I forgot about this one and it should be at the top of the list. Though maybe a little harsh for somebody who is offering like-for-like to sit with a child, as opposed to the freeloader who wants to downgrade you from your E+ or F aisle seat.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by grapegrower
My wife sits behind me in an aisle seat.
She doesn’t like being reclined on.
Lady immediately across the aisle asks if I would swap seats with her so she could sit next to her husband who’s next to me.
I agree on the condition she doesn’t recline.
But immediately after take off she does and when confronted says ‘too bad’.
Thankfully only a 3 hour flight.
But that’s if for us, no more Mrs and Mr Nice Gal and Guy.
If you want a specific seat….book it.
We are not moving!
That stinks. I wonder what would have happened if you went to an FA and said "This woman took my seat" and then you show your BP?
Buster CT1K and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:56 pm

Programs: United, Southwest
I think I am going to learn how to say “how dare you ask me to change seats!” in a semi obscure language - Finnish or Swahili. .
Boraxo, lincolnjkc and VRFast like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:24 pm

Programs: 100000 mile flyer
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yes I forgot about this one and it should be at the top of the list. Though maybe a little harsh for somebody who is offering like-for-like to sit with a child, as opposed to the freeloader who wants to downgrade you from your E+ or F aisle seat.
Lesson learned story #1 (like for like swap) for all to enjoy or so I thought...

LAX-PTY sitting in 2F paid 1st class on COPA Airlines (work trip).
Had dozed off when a lady sat next to me in 2D.
With no curtsies, she shook me awake, asking if I could switch seats with Hubby.
Initially, I gave the Nancy Reagan response, then thought I could be generous and asked where he was sitting (Big mistake).
4A was the reply. OK window for window, still in 1st, so I agreed.

All cool in 4A until take off when the seat went flying back to a near horizontal position. No way to fix it.
I had planned to work on the flight, but resigned myself to this bad seat...UNTIL...
4C (a nice young man 13 years old) tried to recline his seat. Same result as mine, broken seat.
Well, Dad in 4D was having none of this and called the FA who could do nothing since F was full.
"Well then, give my son his original seat" says Dad. Guess what? It was 4A!
I told Dad and the FA, this seat is broken too so it's not much better.

Turns out hubby was in 4C and made the kid swap his 4A window so Wifey could make the deal with me. A 3 way big deal!
So, I ask the FA to request Hubby to give me back my seat.
FA asks 2F nicely with the explanation and is told to take a flying leap and comes back to apologize, saying No go.
I tell her I'll handle it and somewhere over Baja California, I confront hubby and ask for my seat back.
When he told me to take a flying leap into the Sea of Cortes, I said firmly, "Either you move back, or I am siting on your lap. You gave me a broken seat."
Hubby realized I wasn't kidding, and with a huff and a glare, gave me back my 2F seat.

My pillow and blanket were still in 4A. Not wanting further interaction with Hubby, I asked the FA for another pillow.
Next thing I know, Hubby stormed up, reached around Wifey to shove my pillow into my face.
FA sees this, and promptly tells Hubby and (sleeping) wife in 2D "Both of you need to go back to your original seats ....wait for it IN ECONOMY!!
On deplaning, while I was getting my things, Hubby walks up to me and punched me in the face!
WOW!

These things only happen to me (sigh!) 😮‍💨
Hope you enjoyed the story, and that's when I came up with the $500 idea.

For the record, on a EWR-LAX flight, a struggling mother with kids had one kid seated in the middle somewhere else sat in my row.
I gave her my coveted window and took the middle somewhere else so she could be with the kids (without being asked).
FA noticed this and plied me with free drinks for that flight.

IF this thread is still around next year, stay tuned for Story #2 CMN-FRA on Royal Air Maroc, Story #3 EWR-LAX on United and Story #4 LAX-JFK on AA.
Happy seat exchanging ALL..may you get the better seat!

SPN Lifer, Boraxo, korea71 and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:33 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by Catbert10
I really like the company policy one. I will have to use it next time an airline employee asks me if I mind switching seats with someone.
I used a variation once when I was feeling particularly annoyed. I said I would only change seats if they got the gate agent to correct the manifest and issue me a new boarding pass because "security policy" requires me to be strapped into a seat matching the manifest in a worst case scenario. Now, I also was friends with the Lead F/A who I'm sure would have backed me up to the hilt with some fanciful story or told them not to ask questions because "security."
Old Sep 13, 2023, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by JAXPax
I used a variation once when I was feeling particularly annoyed. I said I would only change seats if they got the gate agent to correct the manifest and issue me a new boarding pass because "security policy" requires me to be strapped into a seat matching the manifest in a worst case scenario. Now, I also was friends with the Lead F/A who I'm sure would have backed me up to the hilt with some fanciful story or told them not to ask questions because "security."
I think it’s a perfectly reasonable concern, because your open credit card is tied to your assigned seat. If you really were willing to switch seats, I would follow your lead and ask that the new seat assignments be cleared through a gate agent with newly minted boarding passes.
SPN Lifer, jonu, uanj and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 8:04 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I am currently waiting from a response from United on getting credit for a flight when there was an issue with me getting the wrong boarding pass when I changed seats just as I was boarding - the point being, maybe this is an excellent and reasonable excuse - "security reasons"... which is hard to argue
there are some objective concerns that can come about if a person is not in the seat that they are supposed to be in - and not just "my company pays for first so I can get work done in private or rest before a big day" (there are other people on this plane from my organization and I would get in trouble if I switched seats with someone other than them...... - but the linking the credit card (touchless on UA) to a boarding pass that is linked to a seat is a good one

again - it would be nice if the airlines helped regulate this by not allowing it to happen.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 8:53 pm

Anecdotal I know but this seems to be happening more and more. I used to just use mobile boarding passes, but I’ve started printing them out due to arriving on board and someone else in my seat, etc. If there’s some issue, I like to have my printed boarding pass in hand.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 6:56 am

Lesson learned story #1 (like for like swap) for all to enjoy or so I thought...

LAX-PTY sitting in 2F paid 1st class on COPA Airlines (work trip).
Had dozed off when a lady sat next to me in 2D.
With no curtsies, she shook me awake, asking if I could switch seats with Hubby.
Initially, I gave the Nancy Reagan response, then thought I could be generous and asked where he was sitting (Big mistake).
4A was the reply. OK window for window, still in 1st, so I agreed.

All cool in 4A until take off when the seat went flying back to a near horizontal position. No way to fix it.
I had planned to work on the flight, but resigned myself to this bad seat...UNTIL...
4C (a nice young man 13 years old) tried to recline his seat. Same result as mine, broken seat.
Well, Dad in 4D was having none of this and called the FA who could do nothing since F was full.
"Well then, give my son his original seat" says Dad. Guess what? It was 4A!
I told Dad and the FA, this seat is broken too so it's not much better.

Turns out hubby was in 4C and made the kid swap his 4A window so Wifey could make the deal with me. A 3 way big deal!
So, I ask the FA to request Hubby to give me back my seat.
FA asks 2F nicely with the explanation and is told to take a flying leap and comes back to apologize, saying No go.
I tell her I'll handle it and somewhere over Baja California, I confront hubby and ask for my seat back.
When he told me to take a flying leap into the Sea of Cortes, I said firmly, "Either you move back, or I am siting on your lap. You gave me a broken seat."
Hubby realized I wasn't kidding, and with a huff and a glare, gave me back my 2F seat.

My pillow and blanket were still in 4A. Not wanting further interaction with Hubby, I asked the FA for another pillow.
Next thing I know, Hubby stormed up, reached around Wifey to shove my pillow into my face.
FA sees this, and promptly tells Hubby and (sleeping) wife in 2D "Both of you need to go back to your original seats ....wait for it IN ECONOMY!!
On deplaning, while I was getting my things, Hubby walks up to me and punched me in the face!
WOW!

These things only happen to me (sigh!) 😮‍💨
Hope you enjoyed the story, and that's when I came up with the $500 idea.

For the record, on a EWR-LAX flight, a struggling mother with kids had one kid seated in the middle somewhere else sat in my row.
I gave her my coveted window and took the middle somewhere else so she could be with the kids (without being asked).
FA noticed this and plied me with free drinks for that flight.

IF this thread is still around next year, stay tuned for Story #2 CMN-FRA on Royal Air Maroc, Story #3 EWR-LAX on United and Story #4 LAX-JFK on AA.
Happy seat exchanging ALL..may you get the better seat!

SO many questions-- how did they switch out of ECONOMY in the first place!?
abaheti likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: 100000 mile flyer
Originally Posted by jp12687
SO many questions-- how did they switch out of ECONOMY in the first place!?
My guess is they were together in Y and were upgraded to 4B and 2D.
Then the fun started for ring-around-the-seats so they could be together.

Actually, I offered the window seat to the kid (having been one myself in the distant past) BEFORE I knew either seatback was kaput, and he declined. We had a nice conversation about enjoying window seats.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 3:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

WOW!
Ok you win the thread

Was he arrested? Did you press charges?
SPN Lifer, uanj, abaheti and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.