Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2023, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zrs70
Flying to TLV now. Husband and I are with our toddler twins. We chose Polaris middle seats in the odd rows, the ones where the seats are right next to each other. Husband with one kid, me with the other.

so we board and begin to settle in. Couple behind me asks if we will switch seats so they can be with one another.

I explained that I needed to be able to watch my child.

the male in the couple looks perturbed and says to his wife “this guy doesn’t want to help us.”

kind of reverse of what we often see, where families often ask others to move.
Silly thing of the male to say, given that you have no obligation to "help", and especially given that you're not positioned to do so.

But almost word for word the same as what I've heard after declining a swap once.

People. 😣
Old Jun 27, 2023, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
What exactly is the “help” this other couple claimed to need? An ability to kiss each other good night without getting up?
wrp96, abaheti, JimInOhio and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 27, 2023, 11:06 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Flying to TLV now. Husband and I are with our toddler twins. We chose Polaris middle seats in the odd rows, the ones where the seats are right next to each other. Husband with one kid, me with the other.

so we board and begin to settle in. Couple behind me asks if we will switch seats so they can be with one another.

the male in the couple looks perturbed and says to his wife “this guy doesn’t want to help us.”

kind of reverse of what we often see, where families often ask others to move.
Sounds like he is not a father. Or a good listener.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
You didn't need to tell him anything except "no, thank you".
Old Jun 28, 2023, 6:42 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by tr3k
Sent my daughter (18) alone on a TATL flight. Picked an aisle seat closer forward - had to hunt for it since ticket was bought close in. Turns out, "a couple asked her to swap" and she ended up in the middle seat elsewhere, too afraid to refuse. Hate "couples" like that. Too cheap to pay and too lazy to work for a good seat, but def. not above taking advantage of someone else. Had to vent, thank you all for listening.

The least they could do is trade a BETTER seat for one where they could be together. Unless, of course, they both had middle seats. In which case, sorry.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 6:44 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
You're already in pairs! Sociopaths...
Big improvement with Polaris overall--if I'm by myself, I'll be in a single seat, so no "couples" will ask me to switch. If travelling with my SO, then we're in the middle, so already a couple.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Can anyone top this?
A few days ago I pre-boarded with 1Ks and was in 3A, already a few minutes into a Netflix movie when I felt a tap on my shoulder. A man asks if I would mind switching with his wife because she’s terrified of flying and he needs to be next to her.
Is she in a window seat?
Yes, right behind you.
OK sure. I gather up my stuff, leave my seat, and look at the woman in 4A (last row FC) and she’s just sitting there reading a newspaper. I then see the wife standing there who just vacated 7A.
I look at the husband with a W.T…? look on my face and he’s thanking me.
Um, no, this is not happening, sorry.
He starts throwing a fit saying I already agreed so now I HAVE to switch.
I told him I’m sure the guy sitting in 7B will be more than happy to switch seats with you.
His answer: “I can’t sit in a middle seat - I’m claustrophobic”

I just started laughing. I mean uncontrollably laughing as I pushed past him to retake my original seat. He actually tried to block me at first. Meanwhile boarding was held up during all of this.

The entire 2 hour flight he sat there glaring at me and every time I met his eye I couldn’t help but burst out laughing.
I’m still laughing typing this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Was on a domestic F flight in an aisle seat. Man comes up to me and asks to to change his F seat further back with mine so he can sit next to his wife. I oblige only to find out his F seat is broken. The seat keeps reclining back all by itself. Was tempted to go back and tell him to ask his original seatmate to change seats with his wife. It wasn't a long flight so I didn't do anything. I did tell him that his seat was broken and he did apologize but not sure if I believe him. You could tell the seat was broken the second you sat in it. I wonder if I have to put in a caveat next time stating "we can change seats as long as it isn't broken." Pretty sure they both got upgraded before boarding but not 100%
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by korea71
I oblige only to find out his F seat is broken. The seat keeps reclining back all by itself.
This is a frequent and known issue with the "new" F seats. You should notify the FA and ask for comp, they can award it on their handheld device. Otherwise UA has no incentive to fix these promptly.
Dublin_rfk and nomad420 like this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is a frequent and known issue with the "new" F seats. You should notify the FA and ask for comp, they can award it on their handheld device. Otherwise UA has no incentive to fix these promptly.
They probably would have ended up giving the comp to the guy who duped you into switching seats.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I did let the FA know and she thanked me and noted it. I did not expect or request compensation.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
They probably would have ended up giving the comp to the guy who duped you into switching seats.
Would have served me right for trying to be nice. lol
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by chavala
Can anyone top this?
A few days ago I pre-boarded with 1Ks and was in 3A, already a few minutes into a Netflix movie when I felt a tap on my shoulder. A man asks if I would mind switching with his wife because she’s terrified of flying and he needs to be next to her.
Is she in a window seat?
Yes, right behind you.
OK sure. I gather up my stuff, leave my seat, and look at the woman in 4A (last row FC) and she’s just sitting there reading a newspaper. I then see the wife standing there who just vacated 7A.
I look at the husband with a W.T…? look on my face and he’s thanking me.
Um, no, this is not happening, sorry.
He starts throwing a fit saying I already agreed so now I HAVE to switch.
I told him I’m sure the guy sitting in 7B will be more than happy to switch seats with you.
His answer: “I can’t sit in a middle seat - I’m claustrophobic”

I just started laughing. I mean uncontrollably laughing as I pushed past him to retake my original seat. He actually tried to block me at first. Meanwhile boarding was held up during all of this.

The entire 2 hour flight he sat there glaring at me and every time I met his eye I couldn’t help but burst out laughing.
I’m still laughing typing this.
I believe the "that" in Meat Loaf's song "I Would Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)" is about this situation - not taking a middle seat to comfort an aerophobic spouse. That is simply a line too far.

The legally binding agreement of a seat change is also a good one here.
chavala likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 10:59 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Last summer IAH-LHR equipment swap to the last non-polaris 789 flying. everything got jumbled up with the config change but I was paying attention so grabbed 1E (bulkhead middle - aisle access).. Was asked to switch to 1A so couple could sit together and I said no and apologized that I needed aisle access. The look on the wife's face was priceless. She was in disbelief. They got it sorted with others so all was good but as much as I fly I am very particular about the seats. they arent all created equal.
abaheti likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Few weeks ago I showed up to board my IAH-SAN flight towards the end of boarding (got carried away at the UC bar), I scan my BP for an E+ window seat, another gate agent stops me and says
"sir are you traveling alone"
"yes"
"whats your seat number"
*Shows 8A*
"Oh wait nvm then"
I ask him why he asks, and he states how he has someone who was not qualified to sit in an exit row, who was assigned a middle seat, and was looking for someone traveling alone he could swap him with. naturally me being a few glasses of prosseco deep, I agreed...
Ended up in between a lovely couple who booked the window and aisle to try and keep an empty middle, ended up chatting with them all flight and even watched 80 for Brady on the IFE. I'm a relatively small build guy, so it wasn't an issue for me... although I'm still waiting for my "good karma" to hit me still

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.