Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by ms_go
I had my seat swapped this morning by a gate agent at ORD, and I didn't even have a chance to say no. I first noticed the change when I opened the pass on my app when boarding began and saw that my seat had changed from 4B to 1A. I asked the gate agent why, and she told me a family had asked to sit together. When I told her I chose the seat I did because I prefer not to be on the bulkhead, the response was, "Sorry, that's all we have left." Apparently I was not the only one with a surprise last minute seat change. I heard another couple asking the flight attendants during boarding why their seats had been changed.
I wonder if this is one of those times it's advantageous to have a paper BP. The agent would have had to print out a new BP and, presumably, call you up to the podium, giving you at least a slight chance to revert to your old seat. Having the agent wait until you get the "invalid" beep while boarding, then handing you a replacement BP with a brush off comment about changing your seat, would have inevitably led to you holding up the line while (politely) complaining about the seat swap - and shining a light on the agent's actions.
SPN Lifer, enviroian, deek and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I wonder if this is one of those times it's advantageous to have a paper BP. The agent would have had to print out a new BP and, presumably, call you up to the podium, giving you at least a slight chance to revert to your old seat. Having the agent wait until you get the "invalid" beep while boarding, then handing you a replacement BP with a brush off comment about changing your seat, would have inevitably led to you holding up the line while (politely) complaining about the seat swap - and shining a light on the agent's actions.
IIRC the boarding machine will beep and spit out a new slip of paper with the updated seat assignment and then you need to argue over keeping your paper boarding pass. One benefit of boarding early and taking a screen shot of your mobile boarding pass is to be in your seat before the other person shows up then you have the screenshot to show the FA when the “dupe” is discovered and then you can decline to move.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 9:54 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's good practice to always print at least TWO copies of your boarding pass, so that you still have a copy if some agent grabs one. (I do this because I'm required to submit a boarding pass as well as the ticket receipt for reimbursement, but it's handy always to have a spare copy.)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:13 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's good practice to always print at least TWO copies of your boarding pass, so that you still have a copy if some agent grabs one. (I do this because I'm required to submit a boarding pass as well as the ticket receipt for reimbursement, but it's handy always to have a spare copy.)
Oh I screenshot mine these days after having read one too many reports of seat changes. I am pretty reasonable but 4B for 1A would not he acceptable to me. Only I would want 1A not 4B.
SPN Lifer and chavala like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's good practice to always print at least TWO copies of your boarding pass, so that you still have a copy if some agent grabs one.
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Oh I screenshot mine these days after having read one too many reports of seat changes.
Printing a second boarding pass copy or taking a screen shot is an excellent "best practice" to foil gate agent (GA) shenanigans.

I would say the latter is safer because the GA is unlikely to confiscate one's cell phone.

Likewise, boarding early during such involuntary seat-change situations is also a "best practice" in accord with the legal maxim, "First in time is first in right."
chavala and elsaglass like this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I used to print all BPs (in the event of phone failure) but had stopped doing so. Maybe I need to resuscitate that process. Of course that does not address the seat stealers who take your seat before you have boarded, or the FAs that enable them. Unfortunately another reason to waste time lining up so you can board as early as possible.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 7:50 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I used to print all BPs (in the event of phone failure) but had stopped doing so. Maybe I need to resuscitate that process. Of course that does not address the seat stealers who take your seat before you have boarded, or the FAs that enable them. Unfortunately another reason to waste time lining up so you can board as early as possible.
Bolding mine: I still carry printed copies* of my BP’s to avoid any kind of seat assignment “issues”

*n.b. copies as if I ever need to give a g/a or f/a my bp, I want my own copy in case the one I give away walks away
Old Feb 11, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
But you've got to clear the aisle, so hovering anywhere is going to be someone else's seat So my approach is to stand at the seat I would like, with my bag in hand and not overhead or under seat. I hope that conveys that I am looking for a swap, but not being presumptive. And always, always, always, give up the ask promptly and gracefully, with a smile, if it is declined.
Standing AT the seat, okay. Occupying the seat, bag in hand or not, would trigger my "a-hole" complex. Being honest, pleasant, and transparent about the proposed swap will generally preclude that complex.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
On a recent flight into EWR on an Embraer I was in 1A. 1C boards a little later, his (presumably) wife behind him. He puts both their bags above his seat, sits down, says “don’t worry, I’ll take care of it”, and she walks on. When boarding is complete, he leans across the aisle and asks me if I wouldn’t mind switching seats with his wife. I thought it strange that he didn’t ask 1D. I ask him where his wife is sitting and he tells me “just a few rows back, and she has an empty seat next to her.” A few rows back turns out to be 10, so I suggested it would be easier if he joined her.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LondonElite
On a recent flight into EWR on an Embraer I was in 1A. 1C boards a little later, his (presumably) wife behind him. He puts both their bags above his seat, sits down, says “don’t worry, I’ll take care of it”, and she walks on. When boarding is complete, he leans across the aisle and asks me if I wouldn’t mind switching seats with his wife. I thought it strange that he didn’t ask 1D. I ask him where his wife is sitting and he tells me “just a few rows back, and she has an empty seat next to her.” A few rows back turns out to be 10, so I suggested it would be easier if he joined her.
Wow you handled it nicely - I would have probably blown a fuse if they tried to pull that stunt, that is just over the top being a jerk.

I'm sure once wifey was in your seat and I discovered your new one was in coach, you would be out of luck trying to get her out.

This is why if asked to swap, I demand to inspect a copy of the other person's boarding pass to see exactly where I am going. No BP, discussion is over.

Just wow
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The odd thing was that the flight was pretty empty, maybe 25 pax total. I turned around when he asked me and his wife sort of waves at me. I just shook my head.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 12:47 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by ms_go
I had my seat swapped this morning by a gate agent at ORD, and I didn't even have a chance to say no. I first noticed the change when I opened the pass on my app when boarding began and saw that my seat had changed from 4B to 1A. I asked the gate agent why, and she told me a family had asked to sit together. When I told her I chose the seat I did because I prefer not to be on the bulkhead, the response was, "Sorry, that's all we have left." Apparently I was not the only one with a surprise last minute seat change. I heard another couple asking the flight attendants during boarding why their seats had been changed.
I had similar happen on an airline other than United recently. I had an exit row aisle seat at the 2nd door of a 757. When I go to board, it spits out a new boarding pass for the window seat one row back. I said what is this? The gate agent told me that she moved me so a parent could sit with their child. Only like a 1 hr flight from south Florida to ATL so I said whatever. Ended up getting my original seat anyway since the child wasn't old enough to sit in exit row, and I showed my original mobile boarding pass to the flight attendant.
SPN Lifer, KenTarmac and miasmal like this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I just laughed out loud from reading this. Would probably laugh if in this situation as well
SPN Lifer, deek and KenTarmac like this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Wow you handled it nicely - I would have probably blown a fuse if they tried to pull that stunt, that is just over the top being a jerk.

I'm sure once wifey was in your seat and I discovered your new one was in coach, you would be out of luck trying to get her out.

This is why if asked to swap, I demand to inspect a copy of the other person's boarding pass to see exactly where I am going. No BP, discussion is over.

Just wow
If the OP’s got a boarding pass for F, the wifey with the Y boarding pass doesn’t have much of a case for winning the poaching game.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by SS255; Feb 11, 2022 at 6:26 pm
Old Feb 11, 2022, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by JAXPax
I had similar happen on an airline other than United recently. I had an exit row aisle seat at the 2nd door of a 757. When I go to board, it spits out a new boarding pass for the window seat one row back. I said what is this? The gate agent told me that she moved me so a parent could sit with their child. Only like a 1 hr flight from south Florida to ATL so I said whatever. Ended up getting my original seat anyway since the child wasn't old enough to sit in exit row, and I showed my original mobile boarding pass to the flight attendant.
Guess you were lucky the GA screwed up the exit row requirements too. Really wonder why they didn't put the parent back one row and give you a new exit row companion.
KenTarmac and Cotumely like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.