Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another best practice of seat swapping is to immediately explain what the proposed new seat is as part of the initial request. Some people want you to agree to a swap before you find out what the whole proposal is.

Generally I don't mind swapping for a similar seat, but just tell me what the other seat is upfront.

I was flying on a 15+ hour flight on AA once in premium economy with an empty middle seat next to me. Two hours into the flight I'm in a deep sleep and some guy starts aggressively tapping my shoulder and indicating that he wants the seat next to me while I'm still half asleep. Luckily for him I quickly judged that fully waking up to prevent the poaching (he was in regular economy) would have been more disruptive to me than letting him sit down and falling back asleep. 12 hours or so later he went back to his original seat.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Amen to that. Virtually all of my travel is self-booked (because I don't have an EA ) but a few clients insist I let their travel departments take care of everything "so I don't have to worry about it" and it just makes me more stressed
Had periods with and without an EA. :-) But, can relate... aside from a client or someone wanting to "help me" by making arrangements, it can get awkward when needing to travel with work colleagues (or boss). I have a version of "the chat" when I have to explain to a colleague that "it isn't you, it's me...." and I may just need to meet you at the hotel or see you in the gate area after a Southwest flight vs sitting together. :-) I once told a colleague to check out flyertalk to get an idea of how "special" I can be. Thankfully my wife is very tolerant and lets me do all the flights for us.
lincolnjkc and greytop13 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:15 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
i don’t really agree with this. I basically have only ever asked to switch to sit next to a companion and I always will pick an identical seat - aisle or whatever. If I happen to board first I’ll usually sit in the wrong seat but have my bag in my lap and not settle in while trying to make eye contact. I’ll then quickly say would you mind if I sat here my seat is this one (again it’s generally across the aisle or right in front or back of where I am). This has only happened one or two times but never been a problem. I feel like this is easier than asking someone to switch once they’ve settled in, put things away, etc and less disruptive to the overall boarding.

edited to add: just got to the bottom of the thread and saw the discussion on perching. Count me among the perchers!.

Not cool.

Would be better to have your companion (or whoever is in the row you're going to) work it out when the passenger arrives. That would tend to cause less hard feelings, and most people won't mind with an equivalent seat. It also gives you two chances, as if one is turned down, you can ask the other. Again, without too much consternation.

Same result, less risk of animosity.
Boraxo, LAXOGG and benfro6 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by jp12687
with covid I could see that-- maybe. Things go wrong you can't always sit with others. My issue is the not like for like seat swap they want to do and then when you say no giving you a hard time.

I think I posted this in this thread several years ago EWR-HKG I always booked a bulkhead middle seat in first. That way I had direct aisle access and the larger footwell. Someone wanted to sit in my seat next to someone. I said no and to check if the other person wants to upgrade for more leg room and they sit in the back-- they got angry with me, yelled at me, and then proceeded to encroach over the shared armrest for the next 16 hours.
Agreed before the switch to the new Polaris seats that really was the only seat I wanted when I flew (I did sometimes end up somewhere else-- but more often then not I got that seat). People always had a reason to want to move into it-- but its a 16+ hour flight I was taking every 6-7 weeks I wanted to be comfortable and had planned ahead accordingly.

One time a WNBA player was on the plane and had asked someone in the window seat in that row to swap so she could have extra room. They said yes-- she was TALL
Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by jp12687
I'll never understand the NEED to have to sit next to someone on a 90min flight. Sit in another seat-- it'll be ok. My wife and I often fly together and often are separated (sometimes one of us gets an upgrade and the other doesn't (hint: make sure the person with higher status ALWAYS is assigned to the worse seat that way when they get upgraded whoever stays behind isn't stuck in a middle). Flying HNL-EWR we often pick the middle row first class in the 767 which are individual seats.

you do not NEED to sit next to someone-- you want to. Your "want" should have been "planned" better.
The only time anyone ever needs to sit with someone is when a traveler is a child or otherwise has special needs, and that should be handled through the airline.

I had a poacher the other day. Took my exit row seat to sit across from 2 other people he was traveling with. When I said he was in my seat he didn't move and asked me to sit in non exit row.

I told him I would only give up my seat if a FA directed me to. The FA overheard this and told the guy to get out of my seat.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo, Statman and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dilanesp
The only time anyone ever needs to sit with someone is when a traveler is a child or otherwise has special needs, and that should be handled through the airline.

I had a poacher the other day. Took my exit row seat to sit across from 2 other people he was traveling with. When I said he was in my seat he didn't move and asked me to sit in non exit row.

I told him I would only give up my seat if a FA directed me to. The FA overheard this and told the guy to get out of my seat.
Some people really do have nerve, don't they. It's good that you let the FA handle this. I probably would have asked to see his BP.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dilanesp

I would not have said this, nor given the FA the option of re-assigning me. I would have told him to get out of the seat immediately, or I would call the flight attendant to make him get out....then I would have called the FA, made sure my status was clearly understood to hedge any "just sit anywhere, we need to go" nonsense and would have stood in the aisle until I had my seat one way or the other, even if a GA had to come on, or bring the pilot back. I have zero, absolutely zero tolerance for this kind of nonsense. These people need a cattle prod jabbed in their ear - once should teach them to knock it off.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
752 - seated in 2A. A large family took up most of the 16-seat cabin already boarded. GA got distracted after calling for children under 2 (the entire family boarded) and never called for 1K preboarding...I boarded with the rest of group 1.

The lady next to me (in 2B) spotted me boarding behind a gentleman seated next to her husband. Instead of asking if I would be willing to switch seats, so she and her husband could sit together (and I would), she asked if 1F is my friend? Apparently we look similar of the general ethnicity.

Then FA then asked me if I wanted a window. I went from more than willing to give up my seat to not a chance.
iluv2fly, Boraxo, Statman and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
WRT the question about the best way to approach seat swaps, I will say that sitting in my seat in advance -- ready to move or not -- is one o fthe worst. Most of the time, I'm more than willing to swap for an equivalent seat (sometimes even for a slightly worse one) but my orneriness kicks in when I find someone has presumed and jumped into my seat already. Hovering nearby would indicate the interest before I drop my gear and get settled but don't sit in the seat itself.
iluv2fly, Boraxo, Statman and 6 others like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
... Hovering nearby would indicate the interest before I drop my gear and get settled but don't sit in the seat itself.
But you've got to clear the aisle, so hovering anywhere is going to be someone else's seat So my approach is to stand at the seat I would like, with my bag in hand and not overhead or under seat. I hope that conveys that I am looking for a swap, but not being presumptive. And always, always, always, give up the ask promptly and gracefully, with a smile, if it is declined.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
I had my seat swapped this morning by a gate agent at ORD, and I didn't even have a chance to say no. I first noticed the change when I opened the pass on my app when boarding began and saw that my seat had changed from 4B to 1A. I asked the gate agent why, and she told me a family had asked to sit together. When I told her I chose the seat I did because I prefer not to be on the bulkhead, the response was, "Sorry, that's all we have left." Apparently I was not the only one with a surprise last minute seat change. I heard another couple asking the flight attendants during boarding why their seats had been changed.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ms_go
I had my seat swapped this morning by a gate agent at ORD, and I didn't even have a chance to say no. I first noticed the change when I opened the pass on my app when boarding began and saw that my seat had changed from 4B to 1A. I asked the gate agent why, and she told me a family had asked to sit together. When I told her I chose the seat I did because I prefer not to be on the bulkhead, the response was, "Sorry, that's all we have left." Apparently I was not the only one with a surprise last minute seat change. I heard another couple asking the flight attendants during boarding why their seats had been changed.
I would report this - doing an unwelcome seat change without asking the customer is unacceptable in any case, but to do it to a first class passenger is over the edge of unacceptable, especially given the flippant response you received. Please report this to customer service and escalate as needed.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:35 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
But you've got to clear the aisle, so hovering anywhere is going to be someone else's seat So my approach is to stand at the seat I would like, with my bag in hand and not overhead or under seat. I hope that conveys that I am looking for a swap, but not being presumptive. And always, always, always, give up the ask promptly and gracefully, with a smile, if it is declined.
I can't imagine doing this. I want the plane to take off on time, and quickly sitting in my assigned seat, as I am supposed to do, and stowing my bag increases the likelihood of that happening.
ARR72 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ms_go
You should absolutely complain about this. The GA's actions were way out of bounds, although I do wonder whether this was a request from a GS who had paid for a number of FC tickets, perhaps late purchases at an expensive fare.
chavala and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5 MM, AA PLAT PRO 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You should absolutely complain about this. The GA's actions were way out of bounds, although I do wonder whether this was a request from a GS who had paid for a number of FC tickets, perhaps late purchases at an expensive fare.
I'm not one to complain too much, but I am planning to report this. Not sure about the status of others, but I did watch to see when they boarded, and it was somewhat after me (1K), so probably after pre-boarding with group 1. And I was the one on a late-purchase expensive fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.