Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO_UGS
Don't get me started on families. 🙂 At United, they arrive late at the gate with their stroller(s), muliple kids, etc., and somehow, the GAs should stop what they're doing and assist them. Many families with kids under 2 (or over 2!) are notorious for doing this at the exact time boarding is about to commence. Drives me CRAZY!! 🙂 Most GAs allow this bad behavior but there a few that stop them in their tracks and say, "We're boarding. Someone will help you momentarily." A GA after my heart.

Back to switching seats... Last month, IAH-SFO, I was asked to move from my 1st class aisle seat (737) to a window so a couple could seat together. (The couple was upgraded and both had window seats.) I declined the request from the FA (even when I told the couple "no") and the FA gave me the look of death; as though I killed her cat! 🙂 I smiled and chuckled to myself. After take-off, the FA's attitude completely changed; like night and day. She realized I was GS. In my mind, it shouldn't matter whether I was GS or not. If someone declines to move (after they picked their seat) to accommodate a couple on a short flight is, like so many things, "all about them." Of course, I am completely unmoved by couples who want to seat together and didn't plan ahead. Not my issue. That's all on them. Case closed. 😉
Exactly - and if you don't want to switch, good for you for standing your ground. I am very much against the new family seating policy - if you are traveling with kids, and you want to sit together, then do what any other non-elite customer is required to do - buy the seats at time of purchase so everyone can sit together. Having said that, I think United needs to stop with the corporate-program of blocking half the E- seats and let non-Elite customers buy those seats when they buy their ticket.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Back to switching seats... Last month, IAH-SFO, I was asked to move from my 1st class aisle seat (737) to a window so a couple could seat together. (The couple was upgraded and both had window seats.) I declined the request from the FA (even when I told the couple "no") and the FA gave me the look of death; as though I killed her cat! 🙂 I smiled and chuckled to myself. After take-off, the FA's attitude completely changed; like night and day. She realized I was GS. In my mind, it shouldn't matter whether I was GS or not. If someone declines to move (after they picked their seat) to accommodate a couple on a short flight is, like so many things, "all about them." Of course, I am completely unmoved by couples who want to seat together and didn't plan ahead. Not my issue. That's all on them. Case closed. 😉
Most of us select our seats for a reason. I always select aisles in domestic F and bulkheads in international J because I am tall. No swapping unless I go to an equivalent seat. I don't care if I get the stink-eye from anyone.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 7:19 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
not sure what you mean that "it's not supposed to happen".... I thought it was well outlined in the COT that seat selection is not a "right" and with the new UA initiatives to keep families together....
Old Nov 16, 2023, 10:51 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've never been seated apart from anyone due to lack of planning. It's always IRROPS, or because UA decided to move our seats after it was carefully selected at time of booking.

Not everyone is ignorant or trying to scam you.

That doesn't mean you need to accept the request, but if you walk into every situation expecting the worst of others, I'm not surprised you'd get a "look of death".
Old Nov 17, 2023, 9:33 am

I've been on both sides. When my kids were smaller, AA changed plane type so my pre-booked adjacent seats got re-arranged. Gate agent at HNL was unhelpful and told me to ask people on the plane to switch. I hated having to ask but I had to because my daughter was only 5 at that time. Finally found someone who was kind enough to agree. It was super stressful worrying whether kids and I can sit together on a long flight. So no, not everyone is trying to scam you out of your seat.
SPN Lifer, DJ_Iceman and United747 like this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by workshy
I've been on both sides. When my kids were smaller, AA changed plane type so my pre-booked adjacent seats got re-arranged. Gate agent at HNL was unhelpful and told me to ask people on the plane to switch. I hated having to ask but I had to because my daughter was only 5 at that time. Finally found someone who was kind enough to agree. It was super stressful worrying whether kids and I can sit together on a long flight. So no, not everyone is trying to scam you out of your seat.
I agree that everyone is not trying to scam us. That said, on any flight longer than 90 minutes, I’m not giving up my aisle seat.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I love when a couple asks me to switch so they can sit together, and when I refuse they say “but it’s such a short flight, what does it matter where you sit?”
Old Nov 19, 2023, 1:07 am

Programs: United Global Services
QUOTE: So no, not everyone is trying to scam you out of your seat.

QUOTE: ​​Not everyone is ignorant or trying to scam you. That doesn't mean you need to accept the request, but if you walk into every situation expecting the worst of others, I'm not surprised you'd get a "look of death".

Sigh. How in the world did you conclude I was "expecting the worst of others?" (Rhetorical question...no response needed. ) And, who said anything about a "scam?" I apologize for being clueless, but in what context would someone use a "scam" to get a seat?? Exactly how would that work??? Makes zero sense to me. I see it as someone who wants to be accommodated because of poor planning or, in my example, hoping for the upgrade (which they got) but now wants someone to move their seat to accommodate their need to sit together. In my example, I was completely indifferent that the couple was upgraded. But I'm not giving up my aisle seat I strategically targeted when I made the reservation; scam or not! 🙂
Old Nov 19, 2023, 9:30 am

And, who said anything about a "scam?" I apologize for being clueless, but in what context would someone use a "scam" to get a seat?? Exactly how would that work???
Easy. Years ago I was flying out of Yaounde to Brussels in premium economy in an aisle seat. As boarding progressed, a gentleman with a cane approached me, holding a boarding pass for the window seat and asked if I would consider changing seats with him. I declined, and he took his window seat without comment. During the next 6 hours, he got up to use the lav three times, each without the use of his cane, and when he left the aircraft, he did so without the assistance of his cane.
ContinentalFan and abaheti like this.
Old Nov 19, 2023, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
I will move for an equivalent seat - I just did a 5E for 1B to re-unite an older couple. The husband asked politely after we were seated and, miracle of miracles, there was O/H space for my smallish backpack over 1B. I also did a bulkhead aisle for bulkhead aisle where the person had a full leg cast on their left leg which was better suited to my original seat. I then declined a subsequent switch out of business class to re-unite a couple. Sorry, not trading J for cattle class.

If is not like for like I generally decline. I did get paged once at JFK and, as the husband (negotiator in the couple) was polite and got to it before boarding, I happily switched like for like. He was super nice an offered to switch back if necessary until I finally said, "Look, just take 'Yes' for an answer," and then smiled.

Anyone who is already in my seat gets a hard no. Whiners? Hard no. Trying to get me to take a lesser seat? Hard no.

O/H
Old Nov 19, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
. I then declined a subsequent switch out of business class to re-unite a couple. Sorry, not trading J for cattle class.
O/H
someone actually had the nerve to dare ask you to give up your J seat for coach??? Are they nuts?
Old Nov 19, 2023, 12:06 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Off Duty FAM DYKWIA seat DEMAND a couple of years back.

I'd swapped my normal window with a young USCG LTJG since he wanted to see a couple of sights from the air. The FAM (off duty) boarded late and demanded that I move back from 2C to somewhere back in coach. It didn't smell right so I asked the FA to speak to the Captain about what was going on since he obviously wasn't wearing appropriate attire. Captain come back and asks all of us to the FWD galley. He asks the FAM a couple of questions, tells me and the JG to talk to the FAM while he checks his paperwork. We ask the FAM for his ID just as the Captain comes back out and says he doesn't see any FAMs assigned and that: A) He wants to see his assignment paperwork, B) since both the JG and I are both in uniform and on official business he's going to need to explain himself and that the FAM needed to give all of us a look at his ID right now. FAM starts to play a posse comitatus line on me and the Captain reminded him that the LTJG was Coast Guard and is allowed to enforce federal law anywhere in the US, and oh by the way, he's a Navy Reserve CDR as well. Captain gives the FAM a choice to give us his ID until we take off/land and head back to his seat in Coach or get off his plane. FAM heads back to his actual seat, Captain takes a picture of the ID, hands it and tells us to take pictures and then go back to the rear galley after takeoff to grill the FAM and then file a report through official channels on the jerk. Heard back from the FAM service, the Navy NIS (my service) and the USCGIS (the LTJG) asking what was going on. Also heard from the airline a day later, lots of apologies all around and I think the FAM was at least grounded for a long while if not fired outright.

Last edited by ttuna3; Nov 19, 2023 at 12:11 pm Reason: Senior Typos
Old Nov 19, 2023, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Glad you held your ground on that, but at least when I was on active duty we were not allowed to sit in premium cabins in uniform. I'm also surprised the captain would have you involved (in uniform or not) while he's dealing with a FAM issue, and especially that he would say out loud there was no FAM assigned to the flight. To be clear, I'm not doubting your account, just saying there was a lot of weirdness there!
Old Nov 20, 2023, 2:53 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
I'd got an upgrade a couple of days before and the GA bumped up the JG. I was held up at an official meeting with the Admiral in charge of my program and needed to catch my regular ship that evening so I just headed straight to the airport, the JG had a similar issue on his side.
I was a little surprised by the Captain saying that he didn't have paperwork but the only people in earshot where the three of us. The only reason we got involved was that the FAM were trying self upgrade using their official status when not on or going to duty. The fact it was our seats entered into the mix as well. I know exactly what would happen if anybody on the Navy side had tried that and it would not be pleasant for them (and their boss as well). As I noted in the last post both of our services didn't seem to have an issue with us being in uniform since they didn't say anything about it when they called afterwards. They prefer we don't travel in uniform but if the job needs to be done then it happens sometimes. I just remember the old Regs banned travel in a working uniform.
A lot of times when I got though ORD I see the fresh out of Boot Camp Sailors heading home in their crackerjacks, so I think that the Navy is kind of OK with it...
Old Nov 20, 2023, 3:03 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by ttuna3
A lot of times when I got though ORD I see the fresh out of Boot Camp Sailors heading home in their crackerjacks, so I think that the Navy is kind of OK with it...
When my child finished boot camp when I flew out to ORD he asked me to bring civilian clothing as he had to ship his clothing home when he first got to bootcamp. His first leave weekend (after PIR) he was required to wear his uniform all weekend. The civilian clothing was for A school leave. When I see a young person in military uniform I swap my seat for their seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.