FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you handle a seat change request? Do you ever feel like a jerk for saying no?
Old Nov 19, 2023, 12:06 pm
ttuna3

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Off Duty FAM DYKWIA seat DEMAND a couple of years back.

I'd swapped my normal window with a young USCG LTJG since he wanted to see a couple of sights from the air. The FAM (off duty) boarded late and demanded that I move back from 2C to somewhere back in coach. It didn't smell right so I asked the FA to speak to the Captain about what was going on since he obviously wasn't wearing appropriate attire. Captain come back and asks all of us to the FWD galley. He asks the FAM a couple of questions, tells me and the JG to talk to the FAM while he checks his paperwork. We ask the FAM for his ID just as the Captain comes back out and says he doesn't see any FAMs assigned and that: A) He wants to see his assignment paperwork, B) since both the JG and I are both in uniform and on official business he's going to need to explain himself and that the FAM needed to give all of us a look at his ID right now. FAM starts to play a posse comitatus line on me and the Captain reminded him that the LTJG was Coast Guard and is allowed to enforce federal law anywhere in the US, and oh by the way, he's a Navy Reserve CDR as well. Captain gives the FAM a choice to give us his ID until we take off/land and head back to his seat in Coach or get off his plane. FAM heads back to his actual seat, Captain takes a picture of the ID, hands it and tells us to take pictures and then go back to the rear galley after takeoff to grill the FAM and then file a report through official channels on the jerk. Heard back from the FAM service, the Navy NIS (my service) and the USCGIS (the LTJG) asking what was going on. Also heard from the airline a day later, lots of apologies all around and I think the FAM was at least grounded for a long while if not fired outright.

Last edited by ttuna3; Nov 19, 2023 at 12:11 pm Reason: Senior Typos