Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines' New Transcontinental Service

Premium transcontinental service EWR to/from SFOLAX and BOS to/from SFO (Boston service starting 1 July 2017)
  • Flat-bed seats with custom-designed duvet & pillow provided by Saks Fifth Avenue
  • New amenity kits featuring Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Featured cocktail, Moscow Mule
  • Hot towel service offered after take-off & prior to landing
  • Seasonally refreshed menus
  • Dining will be topped off with items from United Polaris' dessert menu.
  • Before arrival, snacks such as Boulder Canyon potato chips & Madik’s almonds will be served.
  • Note: These routes are not CPU eligible (with need to use RPU/GPU/Miles+copay)

Complimentary hot meal and beverage service for customers seated in Economy Plus.

Also adding United Club access before flight and after arrival, just like ps
Print Wikipost

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by gspurr
With flights that can be up to twice as long as those that are from coast to coast, it would be nice to see these changes applied to flights to Hawaii as well (or at least those to HNL).
It certainly would be nice. But this initiative is targeting business travelers on routes with competition from other airlines who are providing fancier transcon service on them. That doesn't apply to flights to Hawaii.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
It certainly would be nice. But this initiative is targeting business travelers on routes with competition from other airlines who are providing fancier transcon service on them. That doesn't apply to flights to Hawaii.
And in fact the trend for UA Hawaii flights has been towards downgrade, with widebodies replaced by the execrable 739.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gspurr
With flights that can be up to twice as long as those that are from coast to coast, it would be nice to see these changes applied to flights to Hawaii as well (or at least those to HNL).
As has been pointed out numerous times, leisure routes do not benefit much from business travel (and therefore tend not to generate higher fare average). Route length is not a determinate of profit margin. UA is not going to spend much extra money on low-margin routes. I'll take a lie-flat plane to/from Hawaii with zero Polaris amenities anytime over a 738/9.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Curious to see if this will change F/A attitudes towards E+ seat poachers. It has definitely been a problem on several of my flights.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Will be sad to see the p.s. branding go away. I kind of liked it.
I did too, especially in the early days. Remember the cool art, different for F and C menus? They definitely got more boring over time. So it goes.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
The question that I have is whether this will draw passengers away from booking SNA-EWR?

Then again, UA isn't really competing in the current SNA-SFO/SJC bloodbath between WN and AS.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by fgirard
The question that I have is whether this will draw passengers away from booking SNA-EWR?

Then again, UA isn't really competing in the current SNA-SFO/SJC bloodbath between WN and AS.
Despite the convenience of SNA, I make an effort to fly out of LAX for the prospect of the PS Service. Especially since my RPU's have always cleared on my flights, draws me to LAX even more. It's just that much more comfortable in a lie flat seat.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Despite the convenience of SNA, I make an effort to fly out of LAX for the prospect of the PS Service. Especially since my RPU's have always cleared on my flights, draws me to LAX even more. It's just that much more comfortable in a lie flat seat.
I've had the opposite experience, so if I'm going to sit in the back, I'll fly from the most convenient airport for me (ONT, SNA, PSP-it's closer for me to drive to PSP than LAX anyway).
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by fgirard
Doubt it. The reason most passengers currently fly SNA-EWR over LAX-EWR, as there is a heavy premium, is the fact that it can be much more convenient. I will take this flight when I visit friends in Irvine. It saves me at least an hour worth of driving each way, usually more. And Irvine is practically next to the airport. For people coming from farther south, SNA is an alternative option for SAN.

Personally, if I am flying up front, I will fly to LAX every time no matter where I am going in LAX (same concept for SFO and the bay area) because of the lie-flats. However, if I am in the back, I factor in my final destination.

It's not like the current lie-flats on LAX-EWR have taken too many passengers from SNA-EWR.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
While I guess not officially P.S.Service or Country Country Comfort or whatever it has been rebranded to they are now already lie flat flights on essentially all nonstop BOS – SFO flights. My last two flights I sat in E+ in my typical "Hobo First " seat, so did not get to experience the first class changes now available. However My RPU cleared on my flight today ( miracles do happen ). The lie flat seats on the 757–200 were comfortable and a definite upgrade from the standard from the standard F seats previously provided. It seems like even the flight crew was stepped up a notch. Friendly and excellent, no complaints!
While officially the new "ps" service does not begin until July 1 the crew is already anouncing it as a "new service from Boston to San Francisco".
Not sure what the change to a non CPU eligible route will mean to those using instruments, perhaps make it easier for instruments to clear is my guess. I erroneously thought the route was already instrument only effective June 1 (From my perspective it may as well have been as I almost never got CPU upgrades on this route anyhow). Curious as to what others think.
Bottom line, very pleased with what I have seen so far.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I'm flying the 3:50 departure BOS-SFO (752) on July 1 - any chance there will be special fanfare or perhaps the infamous Polaris bears?

Last edited by rch4u; Jun 11, 2017 at 8:19 pm
Old Jun 11, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by nomad420
It seems like even the flight crew was stepped up a notch. Friendly and excellent, no complaints!
Was it p.s. catering with menus, or standard transcon fare?

Last edited by rch4u; Jun 11, 2017 at 8:19 pm
Old Jun 12, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by rch4u
Was it p.s. catering with menus, or standard transcon fare?
Morning flight so not much of a menu but yes "ps" type menu. Plus, fwiw, they offered a light lunch later on the flight which actually wasn't bad. This was also on the menu.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by as219
I did too, especially in the early days. Remember the cool art, different for F and C menus? They definitely got more boring over time. So it goes.
When I pine for those things, I always head over to Archive.org - http://web.archive.org/web/200512270...om:80/homepage

I hope that the new "push" means better transcon service, I take it 4-5 times a year and used to really enjoy it.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rch4u
I'm flying the 3:50 departure BOS-SFO (752) on July 1 - any chance there will be special fanfare or perhaps the infamous Polaris bears?
It would not surprise me to see the bears onboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.