Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines' New Transcontinental Service

Premium transcontinental service EWR to/from SFOLAX and BOS to/from SFO (Boston service starting 1 July 2017)
  • Flat-bed seats with custom-designed duvet & pillow provided by Saks Fifth Avenue
  • New amenity kits featuring Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Featured cocktail, Moscow Mule
  • Hot towel service offered after take-off & prior to landing
  • Seasonally refreshed menus
  • Dining will be topped off with items from United Polaris' dessert menu.
  • Before arrival, snacks such as Boulder Canyon potato chips & Madik’s almonds will be served.
  • Note: These routes are not CPU eligible (with need to use RPU/GPU/Miles+copay)

Complimentary hot meal and beverage service for customers seated in Economy Plus.

Also adding United Club access before flight and after arrival, just like ps
Print Wikipost

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Reading the reaction on the International Y meal upgrade a year or two (?) back, I am not sure how good the food will be. I actually really liked domestic Y airline food in the 80s and early 90s and doubt we will ever get back to that level.

All that said, this is still an improvement.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Gleaned from announcement: "New features not currently offered to business class customers on these routes include the Moscow Mule...".

I seem to recall having a MM on one of these flights before. Maybe they mean they're gonna stock them in F instead of having to get 'em from economy drink cart?
Old May 31, 2017, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Would non-1k/GS take a middle E+ seat over a W/A E- for a free meal?
Nope. Nope. And Nope. Middle seats are a hellish valley betwen 2 desirable mountains.

OffTopic. Flew SFO-FRA on the 747. E+ was packed in like sardines. E- was an empty husk. We scored a set of 3 for the 2 of us. By the time we hit 10k ft, about half of E+ had dribbled into E- Many had a row of 4 for just them, or them and their families. I feel bad for thoes that paid for E+
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:51 am

http://unitedafa.org/news/details.aspx?id=18869

Additional info.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
now I need to book my BOS-SFO-XXX flights before UA excludes SFO routings like they do with EWR-SFO!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Ice cream sundaes? Never mind.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
EWR - HON still gets no respect

UA continues to ignore the fact that they are not competitive on their much longer flights to Hawaii. For crying out loud, serve a meal! The HON fares are no bargain and they can certainly afford to provide this on a 10 hour flight.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:26 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Originally Posted by elitefreak
UA continues to ignore the fact that they are not competitive on their much longer flights to Hawaii. For crying out loud, serve a meal! The HON fares are no bargain and they can certainly afford to provide this on a 10 hour flight.
I don't disagree with the rest of your post, and would love to see them serve food, but sadly the statement I bolded clearly isn't true. If the service wasn't competitive the planes would be empty and United would quickly move to do something about it. Passengers and elites need to vote with their wallets to make it actually not competetive.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Any word on equipment? These are still the same old 757 p.s. birds, right? So the hard product remains the same?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by itsMoe
Any word on equipment? These are still the same old 757 p.s. birds, right? So the hard product remains the same?
The BOS<>SFO service is a mix of 772-HDs, sCO 757s (16J) and sUA 757s (28J), the same ones that operate the current p.s. service from EWR.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by villox
Pretty strange to make E+ a different class, and a little disconcerting.
I'm not sure if you are referring to the new product that will launch on July 1, or if you're referring to a possible future Premium Economy development as indicated by "(t)his enhancement to Economy Plus is our first step toward a Premium Economy offering for our customers", but it doesn't look like the July enhancements include the creation of a separate United Economy Plus class of service.

As far as I know, (transcontinental) Economy Plus remains part of the United Economy class of service - like Basic Economy - and won't constitute a new and separate class of travel on July 1. Based on the press release, Economy Plus may eventually, at a later point, evolve to a new United Premium Economy class of service, separate from United Economy.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Whenever I see UA use the word enhance (over the last few years) it throws up a red flag in my mind - I'm guessing that this will evolve into a paid upgrade-able product - this may have already been mentioned - I only looked at the first post.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by elitefreak
The code for Honolulu is HNL.

Hawaii is not a market that gets much business travel relative to capacity, so UA's Hawaii margins are far lower. Unfortunately, with UA's high cost structure, it has limited means to preserve margin on these flights. One way is charging tourists for meals. United does provide more service/capacity to Hawaii than either AA or DL. The price for a 10 hour flight to Hawaii is generally less than a 10 hour flight to Europe or Asia. You have money left over to buy a sandwich.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Would non-1k/GS take a middle E+ seat over a W/A E- for a free meal?
Won't matter. GS/1K will get choice whether in E+ or E-.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:47 pm

Will there be a vegetarian option for the hot meal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.