Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines' New Transcontinental Service

Premium transcontinental service EWR to/from SFOLAX and BOS to/from SFO (Boston service starting 1 July 2017)
  • Flat-bed seats with custom-designed duvet & pillow provided by Saks Fifth Avenue
  • New amenity kits featuring Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Featured cocktail, Moscow Mule
  • Hot towel service offered after take-off & prior to landing
  • Seasonally refreshed menus
  • Dining will be topped off with items from United Polaris' dessert menu.
  • Before arrival, snacks such as Boulder Canyon potato chips & Madik’s almonds will be served.
  • Note: These routes are not CPU eligible (with need to use RPU/GPU/Miles+copay)

Complimentary hot meal and beverage service for customers seated in Economy Plus.

Also adding United Club access before flight and after arrival, just like ps
Print Wikipost

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Aircraft swap to 773 Polaris Hard Product

Flying BOS-SFO Sunday 8/25 8:20am and received a text this morning that there was an aircraft swap from the sUA 772 2-4-2 to the 773. Hoping this will stick and can "test" out the hard Polaris product. Checking other dates seems like the 772 is the norm and UA isn't upping their game for the debut but curious if they will to compete at least for the first couple of weeks...
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bigwings8
That makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

Any idea why DL and B6 targeted SFO-BOS to begin with? Lots of biotech startups in the BOS area? Proximity to hedgefunds and other high-flying financial firms?
Definitely a yes on all 3 of those - I think BOS has been overlooked historically for premium service and B6 saw an opportunity to be a first mover (and because they've been positioning themselves as Boston's hometown airline for years).

Originally Posted by HomerJay
B6 started all MINT as a spectacular way to distinguish their first class service in key markets. While JFK is their home base and key hub, BOS ranks a close second in importance.

No question MINT shook up the entire transcon market, and no doubt there was a call for it from their BOS customer base and those connecting through BOS. They didn't want to have to connect thru JFK to have a lie-flat. It made solid business sense and forced the hands of their competitors, so they added the service on select non-stops from BOS.

The guess here is that they will continue to expand MINT to other long-haul markets, both from BOS and JFK, which they began to do some time ago with MINT service to Barbados, IIRC.
DL also uses BOS as an international focus city so they can push some traffic SFO - BOS - XYZ but still offer lie-flats the whole way.

On a similar note, due to location, BOS is a logical place for B6 to eventually bring it's TATL service (it's closer to Europe than JFK so depending on where the A321LR range actually lands it's likely to at least see some of B6's international expansion from a pure range standpoint).
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
BOS-SFO works because

1. High Tech
2. Biotech
3. Finance - start up, management, hedge funds, etc.

competition made a huge dent in UA, as this route had a ridiculously low UG rate prior to B6 showing up. That said, still a lot of competition since B6 schedules don't line up well for those of us who do TPAC ex SFO.

Another data point that supports is the slowly growing list of direct flights to NRT, PVG, PEK, HKG. i can't wait to hit MM and then go to these PE offerings.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
What aircraft is UA going to use for premium transcon once the 752's and HD 777's are retired? I don't see the HD 777's being used long term, as the J is cramped and uncomfortable.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
What aircraft is UA going to use for premium transcon once the 752's and HD 777's are retired? I don't see the HD 777's being used long term, as the J is cramped and uncomfortable.
I believe they are pushing out the retirement on some of the 752s for the tcon routes as they haven't figured out what they want to purchase going forward. These routes result in lower frequencies for the planes which helps with some of the wear and tear they get on shorter mid-con routes.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Flying BOS-SFO Sunday 8/25 8:20am and received a text this morning that there was an aircraft swap from the sUA 772 2-4-2 to the 773. Hoping this will stick and can "test" out the hard Polaris product. Checking other dates seems like the 772 is the norm and UA isn't upping their game for the debut but curious if they will to compete at least for the first couple of weeks...
8/25 is not a Sunday and there is no flight at 8.20 a.m. either. Not sure what/where you are flying 6/25? Looks like a 773 indeed with a huge cleared UG list just before the route goes to RPU/GPU only!
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
I don't think the 77HD is going anywhere anytime soon. They just finished refurbing them all from the Hawaii configuration for this exact purpose.

And as noted the 752s are receiving upgrades to extend their lifetime.

Presumably though we are looking at either the 737 Max eventually sporting lie flats or the new Boeing 797 being a potential contender to fill these routes depending on where it's specs actually land.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cfischer
8/25 is not a Sunday and there is no flight at 8.20 a.m. either. Not sure what/where you are flying 6/25? Looks like a 773 indeed with a huge cleared UG list just before the route goes to RPU/GPU only!
Hahaha yeah duh 6/25 - no idea where I got 8/25. Massive upgrade list indeed - sitting in seat 3A which is quite private. Certainly a major improvement but very dense cabin. Plane still smells brand new. Of course due to catering issues flight was delayed an hour and alas going to miss my connection figures...
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Sterndogg
Hahaha yeah duh 6/25 - no idea where I got 8/25. Massive upgrade list indeed - sitting in seat 3A which is quite private. Certainly a major improvement but very dense cabin. Plane still smells brand new. Of course due to catering issues flight was delayed an hour and alas going to miss my connection figures...
I had catering issues on my SFO-EWR flight last weekend that caused it to depart the gate ~45 minutes late (they had blocked enough time so we still got there on-time). With such a dense cabin configuration, though, last-minute swaps are great for passengers but really means they will not have blocked out enough time for preparation...
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I had catering issues on my SFO-EWR flight last weekend that caused it to depart the gate ~45 minutes late (they had blocked enough time so we still got there on-time). With such a dense cabin configuration, though, last-minute swaps are great for passengers but really means they will not have blocked out enough time for preparation...
Yeah exactly!!! For such a dense cabin it also seemed like UA lacked enough support for all the passengers. Salt in the wound as we were stuck on the tarmac for an extra 10-15 min upon arrival in SFO due to gate congestion and sprinting to my next gate was in vein (missed the door closure by 10 min arrrgh). I was able to get one of the last confirmed seats to LAS for a conference but waaay back of the bus middle seat for one of the evening flights...kinda ironic and yeah first world problem.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
757-200 changed to 777-200

Hello, I have a trip to Europe in November originating from LAX. The domestic portions were LAX-EWR on the 757-200. Both of those flights were changed to 777-200.

I have RPU's requested for both of the legs, if they clear seems like the 777-200 is the Barco lounger type 777 with 4 across. Will they still provide the Cross Country Comfort on these planes? Or will they be the Barco Lounger Seats but with Cross Country Comfort service.

Secondly, if I don't clear will I get the new meal service in E+

Kind of confused here. Thanks in advance and safe travels..
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Hello, I have a trip to Europe in November originating from LAX. The domestic portions were LAX-EWR on the 757-200. Both of those flights were changed to 777-200.

I have RPU's requested for both of the legs, if they clear seems like the 777-200 is the Barco lounger type 777 with 4 across. Will they still provide the Cross Country Comfort on these planes? Or will they be the Barco Lounger Seats but with Cross Country Comfort service.

Secondly, if I don't clear will I get the new meal service in E+

Kind of confused here. Thanks in advance and safe travels..
The 32-seat F 2x3x2 barcalounger birds are all gone. The last few are now in modification in HKG. All in-service 777-200As are in the 2x4x2 F lie-flat, 10-across Y configuration. On rare occasion, a transcon will get a 777-200ER 3-class or 777-300ER (77W) subbed at the last minute.

The "soft product" service should be the same no matter what model you fly on -- it's dictated by route, not airplane.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by wxguy
The 32-seat F 2x3x2 barcalounger birds are all gone. The last few are now in modification in HKG. All in-service 777-200As are in the 2x4x2 F lie-flat, 10-across Y configuration. On rare occasion, a transcon will get a 777-200ER 3-class or 777-300ER (77W) subbed at the last minute.

The "soft product" service should be the same no matter what model you fly on -- it's dictated by route, not airplane.
Thanks so much for the quick reply wxguy. I didn't know that! I guess I will accept the change the seating map shows 2-4-2 in first.. So I assumed. BTW, we had met at the LAX Capt. Denny Tour and Lunch. You sat next to me in E- on the car ride over from LAX to Lunch. Safe Travels..
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As a part of a press release on Uno deep dish pizza, new Fresh Choice items(1 July 2017), new beer(1 Sept) in economy, UA also confirmed
Also starting July 1, United will provide customers seated in Economy Plus on its premium transcontinental routes (BOS-SFO, EWR-LAX and EWR-SFO in both directions) a complimentary hot fresh entrée, dessert and fruit, a pre-arrival snack and alcoholic beverages. Sample menu selections include savory roasted chicken with a smoked barbecue sauce and butternut squash tortellini with sage cream sauce. Dessert options will include cheesecake, as well as a chocolate brownie and fresh seasonal fruit.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787
I don't think the 77HD is going anywhere anytime soon. They just finished refurbing them all from the Hawaii configuration for this exact purpose.

And as noted the 752s are receiving upgrades to extend their lifetime.

Presumably though we are looking at either the 737 Max eventually sporting lie flats or the new Boeing 797 being a potential contender to fill these routes depending on where it's specs actually land.
I think nycflyer222 meant the 77G is not likely the LT solution to fill the gaps on the premium transcon routes, where timing/frequency is just as important as the service upfront. Retrofitting existing 739s or having a dedicated 737 MAX fleet for the transcon routes as you mentioned seem to make the most sense but I'm not UA...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.