Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines' New Transcontinental Service

Premium transcontinental service EWR to/from SFOLAX and BOS to/from SFO (Boston service starting 1 July 2017)
  • Flat-bed seats with custom-designed duvet & pillow provided by Saks Fifth Avenue
  • New amenity kits featuring Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Featured cocktail, Moscow Mule
  • Hot towel service offered after take-off & prior to landing
  • Seasonally refreshed menus
  • Dining will be topped off with items from United Polaris' dessert menu.
  • Before arrival, snacks such as Boulder Canyon potato chips & Madik’s almonds will be served.
  • Note: These routes are not CPU eligible (with need to use RPU/GPU/Miles+copay)

Complimentary hot meal and beverage service for customers seated in Economy Plus.

Also adding United Club access before flight and after arrival, just like ps
Print Wikipost

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist

It's official. BOS - SFO is now part of the premium transcon market.

Surprisingly, United is adding free HOT meals to EconomyPlus on all premium transcon flights.

More details on my blog, but full press release pasted below:

Premium transcontinental business class offers many of the same amenities found on international routes such as flat-bed seats and enhanced food and amenities

Routes will now feature an industry-leading complimentary hot meal and alcoholic beverages for customers seated in Economy Plus

Boston-San Francisco added as premium transcontinental route in addition to New York/Newark-Los Angeles and New York/Newark-San Francisco

CHICAGO, May 31, 2017 – United Airlines (UAL) announced today updates to its transcontinental service beginning July 1 including: adding Boston–San Francisco to its premium transcontinental route network, upgrading meal service and amenities for customers seated in business class and adding complimentary hot meal and beverage service for customers seated in Economy Plus.
“We routinely see high demand for travel between our coasts and we want to provide the same level of quality typically reserved for international routes – this includes all flat-bed seating in business class as well as an industry-leading dining experience for customers in Economy Plus,” said Mark Krolick, United’s vice president of marketing. “Our updated premium transcontinental service not only connects travelers between four of the nation’s largest markets, it connects customers to the best food, drinks and amenities from these world-class cities.”

These flights are available now for booking.

Elevating the Premium Transcontinental Service

Customers ticketed in premium transcontinental business class will enjoy a flat-bed seat and will benefit from enhanced food and beverage offerings inspired by United Polaris onboard dining, as well as deluxe amenities including:
180 degree flat-bed seats for a more relaxing and sleep-enhancing flight.
Custom-designed duvet and pillow provided by leading luxury specialty store and New York-bred retailer Saks Fifth Avenue and new amenity kits designed by Saks that feature product from Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa.
A featured cocktail, the Moscow Mule by Crafthouse Cocktails. Created at a bar on the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles more than 75 years ago, the Moscow Mule will be accompanied by a candied ginger skewer and lime wedge.
Hot towel service will be offered after take-off and prior to landing.
Seasonally refreshed menus, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs including several from cities served by United’s premium transcontinental service. The chefs include Della Gossett of Spago Beverly Hills, David LeFevre of California’s Manhattan Beach Post, Mitchell Nordby of San Francisco’s Parallel 37 at the Ritz Carlton Hotel and Michael Armstrong of New York’s Dream Downtown and Bodega Negra. Sample fare includes pumpernickel and goat cheese crostini with mango relish and smoked sea salt; savory pan roasted chicken with kale pesto; orzo with grilled artichokes, a staple of California, and sautéed leaks; and braised short ribs with creamy goat cheese grits.

Dining will be topped off with items inspired by the popular United Polaris dessert menu.

Before arrival, snacks such as Boulder Canyon potato chips and Madik’s almonds will be served.

New features not currently offered to business class customers on these routes include the Moscow Mule, desserts inspired by the United Polaris menu, pre-arrival hot towel service and pre-arrival snacks. Transcontinental business class customers will continue to enjoy United Club access to freshen up, relax and enjoy complimentary food and beverages prior to departure or upon arrival, as well as Premier Access priority check-in and boarding.

Introducing the Premium Transcontinental Economy Plus Experience

Customers seated in Economy Plus will also enjoy a coastal-city-inspired menu, at no additional charge. Beginning on flights in July, this will feature industry-leading meal service, including a complimentary hot fresh entrée, dessert and fruit, a pre-arrival snack and alcoholic beverages. Sample menu selections include savory roasted chicken with a smoked barbecue sauce and butternut squash tortellini with sage cream sauce. Dessert options will include New York’s favorite sweet treat, cheesecake, as well as a chocolate brownie and fresh seasonal fruit.

“Customers traveling in Economy Plus will receive the industry’s best economy cabin dining experience,” noted Krolick. “Flying between Boston or the New York area and the west coast can be akin to flying from the east coast to Europe, and we want to provide a satisfying and unparalleled meal in our Economy cabin. This enhancement to Economy Plus is our first step toward a premium Economy offering for our customers.”

Available on all transcontinental flights, Economy Plus seats provide more room to work and relax.

Welcoming Boston as a Premium Transcontinental Market

United will expand its business class premium service and popular flat-bed seating to flights operating, in both directions, between Boston and San Francisco. This route will now feature up to 28 flat-bed seats per departure.
“United offers Boston customers the industry’s leading schedule between Boston and San Francisco with the most departures, the greatest number of seats and the only wide-body service,” said Krolick. “Now, as a premium transcontinental market, we are increasing significantly the number of business class seats available to Boston travelers on this route. Moreover, Boston business customers connecting via SFO, our Asia/Pacific hub, to destinations throughout the Asia Pacific region will be able to enjoy a flat-bed business class seat for the duration of their journey.”

United serves all seven of its domestic hubs plus Cleveland nonstop from Boston. With the new schedule, the airline will offer customers the widest range of flight times including early morning options from both San Francisco and Boston, an 8:30 p.m. departure from Boston and multiple overnight flights from San Francisco. The most popular timings in peak periods will operate with widebody Boeing 777 aircraft including 8 a.m. service from San Francisco and an early evening Boston departure, ideal for business customers traveling at the end of the work day. Along with the market’s only widebody service, the airline will also operate Boeing 757-200 aircraft on this route.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:14 am

More importantly....

***As of May 31, 2017: Flights between Boston and San Francisco departing on or after July 1, 2017, will no longer be eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades or instant upgrades.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...e/default.aspx
Old May 31, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Overall, a huge upgrade for E+!

This was the most interesting tidbit for me:

"This enhancement to Economy Plus is our first step toward a premium Economy offering for our customers.”
Old May 31, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Free hot meals in E+ - that's a pretty big change.

A few pictures are up on the website:

New amenity bag, with the same stuff inside:

New meal setup? Using Polaris dishware

Old May 31, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Unless there is another press release to come, it doesn't look like "Coast," which has been rumored here, will be the new brand name. ^

And Matt, I presume that "Cross Country Comfort" is your description, not UA's?
Old May 31, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by NoLaGent

"This enhancement to Economy Plus is our first step toward a premium Economy offering for our customers.”
I'm wondering if Golds and Platinums will lose access to E+ at the time of booking. I can see them changing it to X hours before departure like the Silvers.

This might encourage more upsells to E+ if people see lots of empty seats.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: UA GS
Pretty strange to make E+ a different class, and a little disconcerting. Makes me wonder if they're going to start doing something different on international too - treating it as a separate class while leaving the hard product the same.

A lot of people get E+ at check-in by virtue of the fact that E- is full and they don't have a seat assignment. Now those lucky few will get a free meal out of it?
Old May 31, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by NoLaGent

Wonder how they'll handle "overbooked" E- -- free meals I guess! (And hopefully not the first step towards eliminating E+ for elites).
Old May 31, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by villox
Pretty strange to make E+ a different class, and a little disconcerting. Makes me wonder if they're going to start doing something different on international too - treating it as a separate class while leaving the hard product the same.
That's basically what Delta has done. C+ is now a separate booking class.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Unless there is another press release to come, it doesn't look like "Coast," which has been rumored here, will be the new brand name. ^

And Matt, I presume that "Cross Country Comfort" is your description, not UA's?
Actually that is UA's description--top line of press release. But no (tm).
Old May 31, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
CPUs never clear for me on any trans-con routes even with RPUs, so I won't miss that "benefit" much.

I'm glad to see UA have a hot food offering. However, I wonder if they will still offer the normal BOB menu for E-, that would lead to a lot of catering.

Last edited by JHake10; May 31, 2017 at 8:46 am
Old May 31, 2017, 8:36 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Given that E+ is the most consistently available status perk this feels like a big upgrade for all elites, at least at the moment. The business class improvements sound like a nice boost as well.

Good work United!
Old May 31, 2017, 8:38 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by villox

A lot of people get E+ at check-in by virtue of the fact that E- is full and they don't have a seat assignment. Now those lucky few will get a free meal out of it?
Pretty much just matching what DL is doing, except with a hot meal instead of cold wrap/sandwich. And yes, for the lucky few, free meal with bonus bump.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:42 am

^ United for this change, but I also fear that United will change E+ access rules to match Delta's. But for now, with what we know now, very impressive.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wrp96
That's basically what Delta has done. C+ is now a separate booking class.
Originally Posted by bmw303
^ United for this change, but I also fear that United will change E+ access rules to match Delta's.
Just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

This would likely be done as an annual program change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.