Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines' New Transcontinental Service

Premium transcontinental service EWR to/from SFOLAX and BOS to/from SFO (Boston service starting 1 July 2017)
  • Flat-bed seats with custom-designed duvet & pillow provided by Saks Fifth Avenue
  • New amenity kits featuring Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Featured cocktail, Moscow Mule
  • Hot towel service offered after take-off & prior to landing
  • Seasonally refreshed menus
  • Dining will be topped off with items from United Polaris' dessert menu.
  • Before arrival, snacks such as Boulder Canyon potato chips & Madik’s almonds will be served.
  • Note: These routes are not CPU eligible (with need to use RPU/GPU/Miles+copay)

Complimentary hot meal and beverage service for customers seated in Economy Plus.

Also adding United Club access before flight and after arrival, just like ps
Print Wikipost

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by cfischer
Probably imminent. It is scheduled till EOS with lie-flat (I have bookings for September 2019). With SFO it was the same story, they ran it a little while as First and then announced transitioning to p.s. My guess is 1/1/19 ... we'll see.
Just before SFO launched, we also saw frequent last minute swaps to 777s.

As far as BOS-LAX being a premium route, is there really a demand for premium transcontinental service on this route? I know JetBlue is doing well, but Delta seems to have a half-hearted attempt at premium service on this route (basically BOS-LAX is operated with both 757s and 737s, and DeltaOne is only available on the 757s). If this route is a viable premium transcon route for multiple players, wouldn't we see Delta go all in on it?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by diburning
Just before SFO launched, we also saw frequent last minute swaps to 777s.

As far as BOS-LAX being a premium route, is there really a demand for premium transcontinental service on this route? I know JetBlue is doing well, but Delta seems to have a half-hearted attempt at premium service on this route (basically BOS-LAX is operated with both 757s and 737s, and DeltaOne is only available on the 757s). If this route is a viable premium transcon route for multiple players, wouldn't we see Delta go all in on it?
well, UA decided to go all lie-flat on this route ... why do this and not bring the rest of p.s. along? Makes little sense IMO.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
well, UA decided to go all lie-flat on this route ... why do this and not bring the rest of p.s. along? Makes little sense IMO.
Well, what UA thinks often makes so little sense that they earn only ean pennies because of how poorly they position these flights and operate in this competitive market.

David
diburning likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by diburning
If this route is a viable premium transcon route for multiple players, wouldn't we see Delta go all in on it?
Well DL has bailed on SFO-BOS, while UA has gone all in, so UA is not necessarily the measure of what DL will do.

Originally Posted by DELee
Well, what UA thinks often makes so little sense that they earn only ean pennies because of how poorly they position these flights and operate in this competitive market.
Penny wise pound foolish

How much does it cost to provision a pillow?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Hmm, glad I read the updated posts. I was on the fence between UA and DL BOS-LAX in a couple of weeks. Both flatbed 757s, but if UA has in-fact ditched the ps trimmings I made the right call to go DL. It's a long flight without a proper blanket/pillow. Plus D1/PS catering > Domestic F catering.

Frankly, whether UA/DL go all in doesn't matter to me as long as some of the flights are PS/D1. AA is a joke and never a consideration due to their aircraft configs. Do they know this?
Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
if UA has in-fact ditched the ps trimmings I made the right call to go DL. It's a long flight without a proper blanket/pillow. Plus D1/PS catering > Domestic F catering.
LAX-BOS is not a D1 route, but they will offer D1 on the lie-flat aircraft. So that's a different model from UA, which will designate the route as "premium" as opposed to varying service level based on the assigned aircraft.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
LAX-BOS is not a D1 route, but they will offer D1 on the lie-flat aircraft. So that's a different model from UA, which will designate the route as "premium" as opposed to varying service level based on the assigned aircraft.
As long as DL offers D1 service on flatbed aircraft I can make BOS-LAX work, even if it's not all flights. I can't remember being slighted on the blanket/pillow situation last time I flew BOS-LAX on UA flatbed, but I guess that was the case.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
So am I correct In understanding that on red-eye flights E+ pax get a full meal while J passengers only get a "snack?"

Note: I realize that an E+ meal is not comparable to a J meal.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
No, both are coded as snack and receive a snack. In Economy Plus, it’s a cold dish, fruit, and a small dessert. In Business, it’s a hot sandwich or calzone, grapes, and chocolate.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Ah, the memories of E+ getting a hot meal, pretty decent too.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Ah, the memories of E+ getting a hot meal, pretty decent too.
Yes, that was great and the free alcoholic beverages too, hopefully they'll bring it back!
Old Sep 28, 2023, 5:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This thread has been superseded by
Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.