Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines' New Transcontinental Service

Premium transcontinental service EWR to/from SFOLAX and BOS to/from SFO (Boston service starting 1 July 2017)
  • Flat-bed seats with custom-designed duvet & pillow provided by Saks Fifth Avenue
  • New amenity kits featuring Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Featured cocktail, Moscow Mule
  • Hot towel service offered after take-off & prior to landing
  • Seasonally refreshed menus
  • Dining will be topped off with items from United Polaris' dessert menu.
  • Before arrival, snacks such as Boulder Canyon potato chips & Madik’s almonds will be served.
  • Note: These routes are not CPU eligible (with need to use RPU/GPU/Miles+copay)

Complimentary hot meal and beverage service for customers seated in Economy Plus.

Also adding United Club access before flight and after arrival, just like ps
Print Wikipost

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Except that unless AS way undercuts the competition on price, who in their right made would take AS transcon when competing airliners offer a premium product-often at a lower price?
Because they want to buy Y and upgrade to F.

Which is not really possible on UA anymore.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Except that unless AS way undercuts the competition on price, who in their right made would take AS transcon when competing airliners offer a premium product-often at a lower price?
If you are taking a flyer who (a) does not care about status, buys each flight individually, and (b) does not care about price, well then they would take UA or if they wanted better food/drink either DL or B6.

But most (or nearly all) high value flyers have a carrier that they concentrate most of their flying with, and gets first shot at business.

Upgrades simply don't happen on UA now, unless (a) you are GS, and (b) it is an odd low demand flight time. TODs combined with cheap F fares have killed off the comp upgrade.

Alaska still has upgrades, and they actually occur, both for their 75 and 50 (40K if all AS flying) levels. As a Gold on AS, I have gotten them.

I should add that as a PLT (and even Gold before) on DL I have gotten lots and lots of west coast upgrades on DL. No, I'm not trying to upgrade the 12:30 pm SFO-ATL, but I actually get upgrades. I get them on shorter flights where I would not pay for first.

AS will offer a much BETTER domestic First product than UA (with 42" pitch vs. UA's 36-35" pitch) and with some comp upgrades, for many it is a better package than United is offering.

So on a one off purchase, I might pay UA $1200 RT in J vs $1200 to AS for domestic First with a 42" seat, but I am not buying each ticket on its own merits, I am looking at the package - including elite benefits - I get from flying an airline more.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Because they want to buy Y and upgrade to F.

Which is not really possible on UA anymore.
+1
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Onboard UA444 right now. New amenity kit, refreshed menu, young and spunky crew so far. I'll post some additional info to the let's eat thread soon.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
I think I qualify in the group you are but at this point, screw loyalty. I care more about a J/F trip that gets me there on a flat seat (ideally) over 3.5 hours for a somewhat competitive fare vs hard/soft product. Why? Because I can't depend on upgrades so I'll just pay the "best" base J/F fare this week for me that means UA both ways and I'm not even crediting miles to UA. Somewhat OT but I'm flying the SFO-BOS in a few days on a 757 so I'm excited for this over my last AA LAX-MIA 767 trip. If price and schedule are the same then I suppose I still prefer B6 but either fares seem to be wonky or schedule so I don't fly them much.

Originally Posted by spin88
If you are taking a flyer who (a) does not care about status, buys each flight individually, and (b) does not care about price, well then they would take UA or if they wanted better food/drink either DL or B6.

But most (or nearly all) high value flyers have a carrier that they concentrate most of their flying with, and gets first shot at business.

Upgrades simply don't happen on UA now, unless (a) you are GS, and (b) it is an odd low demand flight time. TODs combined with cheap F fares have killed off the comp upgrade.

Alaska still has upgrades, and they actually occur, both for their 75 and 50 (40K if all AS flying) levels. As a Gold on AS, I have gotten them.

I should add that as a PLT (and even Gold before) on DL I have gotten lots and lots of west coast upgrades on DL. No, I'm not trying to upgrade the 12:30 pm SFO-ATL, but I actually get upgrades. I get them on shorter flights where I would not pay for first.

AS will offer a much BETTER domestic First product than UA (with 42" pitch vs. UA's 36-35" pitch) and with some comp upgrades, for many it is a better package than United is offering.

So on a one off purchase, I might pay UA $1200 RT in J vs $1200 to AS for domestic First with a 42" seat, but I am not buying each ticket on its own merits, I am looking at the package - including elite benefits - I get from flying an airline more.

+1
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
I think I qualify in the group you are but at this point, screw loyalty. I care more about a J/F trip that gets me there on a flat seat (ideally) over 3.5 hours for a somewhat competitive fare vs hard/soft product. Why? Because I can't depend on upgrades so I'll just pay the "best" base J/F fare this week for me that means UA both ways and I'm not even crediting miles to UA. Somewhat OT but I'm flying the SFO-BOS in a few days on a 757 so I'm excited for this over my last AA LAX-MIA 767 trip. If price and schedule are the same then I suppose I still prefer B6 but either fares seem to be wonky or schedule so I don't fly them much.
I think you (and probably I) are the exception. I've flown UA several times this year (15K miles total) always on PS or in paid F. The fares were better, and I wanted to try the Polaris Seat out. I've flown VX in paid F a number of times (25K or so miles, all longer flights) and I've flown DL 40K miles in paid DeltaOne or F.

But I have a preference to Delta on my shorter trips (e.g. SFO-SEA, SFO-LAX) as I often get upgrades, and so they are at this point my major program.

There are a lot of people out there who don't fly paid F domestically, or who fly enough to reach high status in one program, which is valuable to them. For these people, the program matters. So even if they can pop for paid J for a great fare SFO-BOS they may go with their preferred program. And of course, if GPU/RPUs don't clear, and you can't pay for F, flying United in 3-4-3 configuration for 6.5 hours is not exactly an enticing prospect.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
I think you (and probably I) are the exception. I've flown UA several times this year (15K miles total) always on PS or in paid F. The fares were better, and I wanted to try the Polaris Seat out. I've flown VX in paid F a number of times (25K or so miles, all longer flights) and I've flown DL 40K miles in paid DeltaOne or F.

But I have a preference to Delta on my shorter trips (e.g. SFO-SEA, SFO-LAX) as I often get upgrades, and so they are at this point my major program.

There are a lot of people out there who don't fly paid F domestically, or who fly enough to reach high status in one program, which is valuable to them. For these people, the program matters. So even if they can pop for paid J for a great fare SFO-BOS they may go with their preferred program. And of course, if GPU/RPUs don't clear, and you can't pay for F, flying United in 3-4-3 configuration for 6.5 hours is not exactly an enticing prospect.
I'm in the same boat as both of you, except I still try to concentrate on UA. It's really sad though, all my flying is international but I still have my 6 GPU's... I'd rather confirm into business and pay the lower P fare than buy W and cross my fingers hoping for the best. I've had quite good luck though getting very good P fares though. And I probably won't use any this year. I haven't had the opportunity.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warrenw
I'm in the same boat as both of you, except I still try to concentrate on UA. It's really sad though, all my flying is international but I still have my 6 GPU's...
Get to the airport -- ICN-SFO is R9 today. R2 Thursday, R9 Monday 7/17 & Tuesday 7/18, R5 Wednesday 7/19, R9 Sunday 7/23...

Honestly, unless your travel has been limited to the most popular days -- which presumably wouldn't have low P fares -- I'd be surprised if you wouldn't have been able to clear. One of the reasons that this route is getting the 789 instead of 773 is that the 747 is more capacity than they've been able to fill.

(Having said that -- I don't blame you for not wanting to risk it. :-)
Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by jsloan
Get to the airport -- ICN-SFO is R9 today. R2 Thursday, R9 Monday 7/17 & Tuesday 7/18, R5 Wednesday 7/19, R9 Sunday 7/23...

Honestly, unless your travel has been limited to the most popular days -- which presumably wouldn't have low P fares -- I'd be surprised if you wouldn't have been able to clear. One of the reasons that this route is getting the 789 instead of 773 is that the 747 is more capacity than they've been able to fill.

(Having said that -- I don't blame you for not wanting to risk it. :-)
I usually do long weekend turns, and Thursday - Monday are the days I always look at. Thursday-Saturday are heavy Samsung exec days (they have a contract with UA) and it's extremely difficult to get space on those days. But you are correct, Tuesday/Wednesday, etc. are usually pretty easy.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:27 pm

+1
my guess is that if AS on these transcon routes fill their whole FC cabin with elite members paying $200 Y seat and getting free upgrades, then they are going to be hemorraging money and pulling out. sure filling your cabin with upgrade is fine when a 2 hour flight is cost $120. But when a 6 hour flight is $180, that's a huge money looser.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
UA doesn't have a single aircraft with F pitch less than 37". That's unlike a certain carrier with a widget on the tail.

AS's new F pitch on its 737s is 41", not 42", and you will pay for that extra pitch with the smallest 738/9 F cabin among the major U.s. carriers. So much for easy upgrades down the road.

The bottom line is that the new AS/VX is very much acting like the LCC for transcon service. UA has the clearly superior network and product.

Last edited by minnyfly; Jul 10, 2017 at 11:26 pm Reason: added paragrahp
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA
Flew EWR-LAX this evening. Meal in E+ was a Chicken Alfredo over rice, fruit and cheesecake.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Was it good?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:20 am

Sounds good... not sure if I've ever had Alfredo sauce on United.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:45 pm

Has anyone experienced the new United Transcon Service?

Has anyone experienced the new business class United Transcon Service?
United has advertised that the new business class transcon service will include lounge access pre and post flight, upgraded menus, lie flat seats. If anyone has first-hand experience, would you please tell us about your flight?

Last edited by ianlin; Jul 13, 2017 at 3:55 pm
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by ianlin
Has anyone experienced the new United Transcon Service?
United has advertised that the new transcon service will include lounge access pre and post flight, upgraded menus, lie flat seats. If anyone has first experience, would you please tell us about your flight?
Flew EWR-LAX last week. Did not notice much difference, except the following:
- They came around with a tray of Moscow Mules before takeoff (in addition to whatever PDB you ordered)
- They swapped out the cookie pre-arrival for wraps. I do miss the cookie, but I ended having two wraps because I was hungry. Needless to say, I thought it was tasty.

Service was really good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.