Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines' New Transcontinental Service

Premium transcontinental service EWR to/from SFOLAX and BOS to/from SFO (Boston service starting 1 July 2017)
  • Flat-bed seats with custom-designed duvet & pillow provided by Saks Fifth Avenue
  • New amenity kits featuring Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Featured cocktail, Moscow Mule
  • Hot towel service offered after take-off & prior to landing
  • Seasonally refreshed menus
  • Dining will be topped off with items from United Polaris' dessert menu.
  • Before arrival, snacks such as Boulder Canyon potato chips & Madik’s almonds will be served.
  • Note: These routes are not CPU eligible (with need to use RPU/GPU/Miles+copay)

Complimentary hot meal and beverage service for customers seated in Economy Plus.

Also adding United Club access before flight and after arrival, just like ps
Print Wikipost

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I was wondering if the EWR-SJC route is also part of this?
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
no.

do we have a brand name yet, or are we even expecting one anymore? i haven't seen anything further on "Coast" apart from the initial rumor.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Wouldn't expect it to be. Only competition is AS (from EWR) and B6 (from JFK) neither of which feature anything beyond normal domestic F.

Now if B6 introduced Mint from JFK and pulled in decent numbers, that might prompt UA to throw this on the SJC route.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Plat, UA Club, Marriott/SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Amex Plat
I'm flying SFO->BOS on June 25th. I've flown this route on the 752 before, and generally like the seats up front.

I don't think the new service will change that much on the ground as I already have club membership (in fact, it might make BOS a bit more crowded). Though, I am excited lie flats will always be available.

New menu, new bedding, and a kit are nice in air touches.

Going out on June 25th, and back on July 10, perhaps I can observe some difference.

Question: what are people seeing in menu/bedding now or before July 1? Are they rolling anything out before the official launch? My SFO->BOS on the 25th is a redeye and I would love some of the Saks bedding and a kit. No expectations just curious what's happening.

Last edited by sfo2bos; Jun 16, 2017 at 11:44 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 16, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
New amenity kit on EWR-LAX...better than the little blue kit that was given previously but still not as good as the brown leather mini-pouch that was given for BF.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
New amenity kit on EWR-LAX...better than the little blue kit that was given previously but still not as good as the brown leather mini-pouch that was given for BF.
Is this the kit you are talking about?... better than the tins anyway
Attached Images  
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:33 pm

And when did p.s. ever have intl. United Business amenities kits? Yah, never.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tuolumne
And when did p.s. ever have intl. United Business amenities kits? Yah, never.
Not the full-sized leather pouches, but the mini versions that were used for p.s. flights prior to the Polaris rebranding effort in December last year.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Not the full-sized leather pouches, but the mini versions that were used for p.s. flights prior to the Polaris rebranding effort in December last year.
Yes - the brown leather pouch I got on p.s. last year has become my "backup" amenity kit that travels with me. It's a wonderfully slim form factor, and looks nice to boot.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
What about SFO-IAD?! Dulles actually has way more UA passenger traffic than BOS (3x), though perhaps many of them are not originating / going to the west coast.

A more fun question: What would be the best, next routes for United to add p.s./"cross country comfort" service? I would say SFO-IAD is top, but what about after that? Someplace in the southeast like Orlando? Someplace in northwest like Seattle (e.g. EWR-SEA)? More CA cities like San Diego?
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bigwings8
What about SFO-IAD?! Dulles actually has way more UA passenger traffic than BOS (3x), though perhaps many of them are not originating / going to the west coast.

A more fun question: What would be the best, next routes for United to add p.s./"cross country comfort" service? I would say SFO-IAD is top, but what about after that? Someplace in the southeast like Orlando? Someplace in northwest like Seattle (e.g. EWR-SEA)? More CA cities like San Diego?
No chance on any of those. No real competition. Unless DL or B6 makes a move against one of these routes why does UA need to spend any resources here

BOS is only happening because DL and B6 are there operating D1 and Mint service.

DL tried D1 to SEA from JFK and it didn't work.

This effort has nothing to do with passenger volume it's solely about competition. Only expansion will happen if AA/DL/B6 compete and peel away significant premium passenger volume

Don't forget VX/AS are sticking with the only domestic F model so no need to beat that with lie-flats on those routes.

Last edited by Duke787; Jun 17, 2017 at 1:57 pm
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA S, Marriott Gold (UA), Hertz PC (UA), HH Gold (cc), Avis PP, National EC Executive
Originally Posted by Duke787
No chance on any of those. No real competition. Unless DL or B6 makes a move against one of these routes why does UA need to spend any resources here

BOS is only happening because DL and B6 are there operating D1 and Mint service.

DL tried D1 to SEA from JFK and it didn't work.

This effort has nothing to do with passenger volume it's solely about competition. Only expansion will happen if AA/DL/B6 compete and peel away significant premium passenger volume

Don't forget VX/AS are sticking with the only domestic F model so no need to beat that with lie-flats on those routes.
That makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

Any idea why DL and B6 targeted SFO-BOS to begin with? Lots of biotech startups in the BOS area? Proximity to hedgefunds and other high-flying financial firms?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Here's a crazy one. UA will sell you a seat on DL's new premium t-con as part of a roundtrip itinerary. And for cheaper than DL will sell a similar itinerary.

If you can't beat 'em . . . .

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 19, 2017 at 1:17 am
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:33 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by getagb
If UA matched DL, the only difference would be that UA Golds wouldn't get free E+ until T-72, right? That seems fine, there's usually plenty of E+ availability then anyway.
That is the one perq that keeps me flying UA as a 1MM, if it goes, so do I. It makes sense though. The timing is uncanny. I make 1MM, they pull free E+ for Golds.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by bigwings8
That makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

Any idea why DL and B6 targeted SFO-BOS to begin with? Lots of biotech startups in the BOS area? Proximity to hedgefunds and other high-flying financial firms?
B6 started all MINT as a spectacular way to distinguish their first class service in key markets. While JFK is their home base and key hub, BOS ranks a close second in importance.

No question MINT shook up the entire transcon market, and no doubt there was a call for it from their BOS customer base and those connecting through BOS. They didn't want to have to connect thru JFK to have a lie-flat. It made solid business sense and forced the hands of their competitors, so they added the service on select non-stops from BOS.

The guess here is that they will continue to expand MINT to other long-haul markets, both from BOS and JFK, which they began to do some time ago with MINT service to Barbados, IIRC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.