Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 31, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: blueman2
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines' New Transcontinental Service

Premium transcontinental service EWR to/from SFOLAX and BOS to/from SFO (Boston service starting 1 July 2017)
  • Flat-bed seats with custom-designed duvet & pillow provided by Saks Fifth Avenue
  • New amenity kits featuring Soho House & Co's Cowshed Spa products
  • Featured cocktail, Moscow Mule
  • Hot towel service offered after take-off & prior to landing
  • Seasonally refreshed menus
  • Dining will be topped off with items from United Polaris' dessert menu.
  • Before arrival, snacks such as Boulder Canyon potato chips & Madik’s almonds will be served.
  • Note: These routes are not CPU eligible (with need to use RPU/GPU/Miles+copay)

Complimentary hot meal and beverage service for customers seated in Economy Plus.

Also adding United Club access before flight and after arrival, just like ps
Print Wikipost

Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What's interesting is that this doesn't state any new or retrofitted aircraft, as Delta rolled out a few years ago with its premium JFK/LAX/SFO routes.
In this regard, wasn't Delta just catching up to United? I thought current DL seats on premium transcon routes is similar to United's, and with 757s which are most flights, exactly the same Diamond seat.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by JFKflyer26
Doesn't Delta and AA offer the entire economy cabin a free cold meal on these flights? United isn't going to offer even a cold option for regular economy?
Yes, I flew this route (in normal economy) 26-May, SFO-JFK on a 757. Free choice of Turkey sandwich, veggie wrap, or cheese plate.

JetBlue and Virgin sell snack boxes or the equivalent of the DL free offering.

Isn't it common to get kicked into E+ if you do not have a seat assignment at T24?
Old May 31, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Isn't it common to get kicked into E+ if you do not have a seat assignment at T24?
I think mostly just at airport.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by blueman2
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
I think mostly just at airport.
It can happen but don't count on it.
Still at good chance you will be placed in E-, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ll-happen.html
Old May 31, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Great in the short run for those sitting in Y+, but like others am a bit wary for what this means down the road...airlines usually aren't this generous with new benefits without a catch. If Y+ doesn't change at the start of next year, I will gladly eat my words
Old May 31, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by emcampbe

So what happens if there is a multiple companion PNR with more than one elite. For example, I normally travel with 2 others - 2 golds and our 2yo daughter who has no status since we just started getting her own seats. Maybe I wasn't interpreting the DL site correctly, but I got the impression that in this scenario, you can't have all 3 upgraded - just 2. Is that correct?
Sorry, don't know. I am not a Delta elite (or for that matter, Delta flyer).
Old May 31, 2017, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
And, of course, it's amazing that United is offering this for relatively short EWR-SFO/LAX flights but providing NOTHING -- not even a meal! -- for IAH-HNL or HNL-GUM, both of which are about 8 hours in duration.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
As Karma would have it... we're booked LAX-EWR on July 1.

I'll try to report back upon arrival...
Old May 31, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by FlyHighInTheSky
It's a bummer they couldn't include any of the DC airports. I would have thought that DCA-SFO would have gotten it at the very least. I suppose it has to do with frequency though and available airframes.

Any speculation on whether this will expand to DC in the future (maybe when the MoM comes online)?
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Surprised it took until post 48 for this to come up. Given IAD - SFO is hub-hub, you'd think they'd want to include this route. Maybe in the future, but they don't have the fleet for it now?
UA is only going to roll out this service in places where they feel they have to for competitive reasons. With every SFO-DCA flight I take having somewhere between 70-100 deep CPU lists and GS members stuck in middle seats, there seems to be no need to make the product more attractive.

UA has SFO-IAD on lockdown too. VX has the one-a-day, and I think every other airline requires you to connect. Compare that to the 6 (ish?) flights a day UA offers. There's a SFO-IAD and IAD-SFO served by a 757/772 most of the time (size of plane varies by season), and recently, a second SFO-IAD/IAD-SFO 772. If you want lie flats, they are available, you just won't get club access or the extra PS perks.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Still free food and drinks for 1ks in E+?

So when I sent a text to my S.O. who is an EWR based 1K, his response was: "Does this mean I won't be able to get my free cheeseburger and drink anymore?"
Interesting question. Will 1Ks still get the free BOB food and drink if they are in E+ on one of these premium routes?
Old May 31, 2017, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
So when I sent a text to my S.O. who is an EWR based 1K, his response was: "Does this mean I won't be able to get my free cheeseburger and drink anymore?"
Interesting question. Will 1Ks still get the free BOB food and drink if they are in E+ on one of these premium routes?
Yes, confirmed with UA that 1K/GS will still get free choice menu item + drink.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Yes, confirmed with UA that 1K/GS will still get free choice menu item + drink.
cool! thanks! ^
Old May 31, 2017, 7:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Would non-1k/GS take a middle E+ seat over a W/A E- for a free meal?
Old May 31, 2017, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Would non-1k/GS take a middle E+ seat over a W/A E- for a free meal?
As a Premier Silver that often gets faced with this dilemma, I would, if the flight is within meal hours. I’d wager a good amount of the eastbound transcons won’t see meal service due to their late departures.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Great in the short run for those sitting in Y+, but like others am a bit wary for what this means down the road...airlines usually aren't this generous with new benefits without a catch. If Y+ doesn't change at the start of next year, I will gladly eat my words
Surely this alone won't be the driver to broader changes. It's a couple of routes, not system wide. If meals on two routes means a huge change to the E+ policy, UA will have further problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.