Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate Agent Denied Boarding for NonRev Women Wearing Leggings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Agent Denied Boarding for NonRev Women Wearing Leggings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
Well, United's policy still indicates that the agent has the final say. Just that there are more rules on top of "agent's discretion".
UA's policy leaves the least amount of room for misunderstandings. That's how company policies should be written. Delta's is a policy that could easily be 'anything goes' with an agent in Seattle or 'let's measure the distance between skirt and knee' with an agent in say Atlanta.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:06 pm
VIB

Originally Posted by Allan38103
twitter has been proven in the past to be an unreliable source of information. This incident is no exception. If anyone believes what they read on this medium, they get what they deserve

BTW: Where IS Shannon Watts now that we need her? Has she posted a correction/clarification or made any retraction of her mistake?
Oh, don't worry. She's still out there spreading misinformation and FAKE news --

http://motto.time.com/4714476/united...it-was-sexist/
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Halo117
I can see you're getting very "legal" with the way folks here are choosing to see what Lycra/Spandex is. Lycra and Spandex are actually brand names.

Spandex, Lycra or elastane is a synthetic fiber known for its exceptional elasticity. It is stronger and more durable than natural rubber. It is a polyester-polyurethane copolymer that was invented in 1958 by chemist Joseph Shivers at DuPont's Benger Laboratory in Waynesboro, Virginia. (Spandex Wikipedia)

Modern leggings are typically made from a blend of lycra (also known as spandex), with cotton, polyester, or nylon, but can also be made from wool, silk, and other materials. Leggings are available in a multitude of colors and decorative designs. (leggings Wikipedia)

So unless you expect that the rules only apply to the called out name brands Lyrca/Spandex, sweatpants and leggings can be made of the those materials.....cheers.
The policy says "form fitting Lycra/Spandex" and there are clothes that we would all agree fit those. My Nike Running tights for example. I would never think those would fly. However, my daughter's pants (I posted a link in my post) have a very small amount of lycra type material, they are mostly other fabrique. And they look very very different. I think a lot of people would see them as "leggings" not as "form fitting Lycra/Spandex pants"
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
Not to pick on you, but you (and others) are making some big, big leaps. The policy bans "form-fitting lycra/spandex tops, pants and dresses"

That is not cotton stretchy pants or "sweatpants". Nor is it the "leggins" my 10 year old wears: http://athleta.gap.com/webcontent/00...cn12578506.jpg

Perhaps the young/teen pass-holders were wearing torn/ripped lycra that was very revealing, but it is hard for me to get worked up over "leggins" which is all that any of us know. And for United to make its stand for propriety at "leggings" was really stupid. @:-)
The thing is, we don't know what type of "leggings" they were wearing. By all accounts, these were two teenagers, which could mean they were as old as 18 or 19. It's very conceivable that they were wearing something like this (which I think would fit the description of "form fitting lycra/spandex"):
http://www2.assets-gap.com/webconten...cn12102193.jpg

Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
Y'know, I don't know how much of this thread you've read, but the cause of this fiasco was due to a "bystander" tweeting about something that she didn't have all the facts about. The issue was actually between the g/a and the pass-rider, and "Ms. Save the World" decided to fix something that wasn't broken, in the first place. As a result, this matter has gotten a blown out of proportion, by people that aren't interested in the true facts and causes.

It was none of anyone else's business, nor decision, how someone should be dressed.
The cause of this fiasco is United. United's agent made a fuss about attire and a bystander was there to communicate her take on the situation. Customers and others have a right to communicate their criticisms even of company policies applicable to employees and employment (or even retirement) related benefits.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The cause of this fiasco is United. United's agent made a fuss about attire and a bystander was there to communicate her take on the situation. Customers and others have a right to communicate their criticisms even of company policies applicable to employees and employment (or even retirement) related benefits.
Where do you get that the gate agent made a fuss? There was no fuss. She communicated the policy, the girls went and changed. That's it. No fuss, until Miss Busybody took it upon herself to create one. But there was no fuss, no arguing, nothing. So explain to me again how the gate agent caused this 'fiasco'?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-un...-idUSKBN16Y2HY

"The girls, who were flying standby on Sunday from Denver to Minneapolis using free passes for employees or family members, were told by a gate attendant that they could not get on the plane while wearing the form-fitting pants.....
The girls were fine with the policy, Guerin says, but a traveler named Shannon Watts who overheard the exchange took offense.
"
Old Mar 28, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, DL 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
I think this is a good lesson for UA and anyone. "Think before you speak!" Twitter can be a great tool to get information out to the public but it is just as easy to dig yourself into a hole. Sometimes I wonder if UA's twitter is just some guy tapping away on his phone versus having everything get checked
The "anyone" includes Shannon Watts that broadcasted a situation, incorrectly, without knowing the facts. Now she's asking in the glory of internet fame without being held accountable for spreading inaccurate, incomplete information.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GUWonder
And the rest of us have the right to criticize the self-appointed officious busybodies like Shannon Watts who think their opinion matters more than anyone else's. It works both ways.

Last edited by halls120; Mar 28, 2017 at 6:28 pm
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Boiler84
The "anyone" includes Shannon Watts that broadcasted a situation, incorrectly, without knowing the facts. Now she's asking in the glory of internet fame without being held accountable for spreading inaccurate, incomplete information.
You know, there is just too much "toxic masculinity" in evidence on this thread.

Last edited by zombietooth; Mar 28, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Cruss74
The thing is, we don't know what type of "leggings" they were wearing. By all accounts, these were two teenagers, which could mean they were as old as 18 or 19. It's very conceivable that they were wearing something like this (which I think would fit the description of "form fitting lycra/spandex"):
http://www2.assets-gap.com/webconten...cn12102193.jpg

If they were 18-19 and wearing that, they can sit next to me. OTOH, they could be wearing the athletica leggings for girls I linked too, very different. @:-) We just don't know, and given the pass holders are never gonna speak, no way to tell.
Originally Posted by Boiler84
Originally Posted by halls120
And the rest of us have the right to criticize the self-appointed officious busybodies like Shannon Watts who think their opinion matters more than anyone else's. It works both ways.
Well she won the fight as far as I see, and sparked an interesting discussion about what is "appropriate dress" for girls in this day and age.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
You know, there is just too much "toxic masculinity" in evidence on this thread.
or "toxic curmudgeonity"
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by VIB
Oh, don't worry. She's still out there spreading misinformation and FAKE news --

http://motto.time.com/4714476/united...it-was-sexist/
I actually took the time to read what she said. She says they were on passes. Her point is that IMHO the rules are UA rules are sexist being mostly aimed at women (which is my take as well) but her point - and why this story got so big - is that it touched on a larger fault line - to quote her for those who don't fallow the link:

"Women are tired of being policed for our clothing. Dress codes are laced with words and phrases that easily conform to —  and are manipulated by  —  a misogynistic society. United’s pass rider dress policy,  whether intentional or not ,  is sexist, and it sexualizes young girls by calling leggings inappropriate.

As a woman and a mom of five kids, I was uncomfortable and angered by what unfolded at the Denver airport. I saw young women being scrutinized and shamed for what they looked like, something that happens daily."

Do I agree with her? Stronger than I would have said it, but I get where she is coming from. United errored in its initial response (pointing to the CoC and saying they could tell people what to wear) but I also think they errored in taking the line that leggings were not ok for employees as they were not "appropriate" that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. You may not like it, but what she says will (and has) resonated with many women, and some more thoughtful guys too.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spin88
Well she won the fight as far as I see, and sparked an interesting discussion about what is "appropriate dress" for girls in this day and age.
And if UA employees - none of who I see jumping on Shannon's bandwagon - lose part or all of their pass privileges, what did she win except for screwing over UA employees - many of whom apparently support the rules?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Shannon's entire MO is spreading half-truths. I'm not at all surprised.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
And if UA employees - none of who I see jumping on Shannon's bandwagon - lose part or all of their pass privileges, what did she win except for screwing over UA employees - many of whom apparently support the rules?
No UA employee is going to jump on the bandwagon, most of them are in an age category they think Leggings are slutty. And if they did not, who cares, no biggy.

But I can tell you, the idea that United would take it out on employees is ridiculous. Oscar at least appears smart enough to know what is up. The big question I have is if at some point UA says leggings are ok. My guess is they give into cultural change after this blows over.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
One thing I find interesting about this entire thread and that no one has asked - --- okay, I'm asking......

I wonder if the UA person who was sitting at United's "dedicated Twitter Department" was informed that their initial response to Shannon Watts was misleading and totally added fuel to the fire ?

Sounds like a new-hire or short-term employee that was twittering away with no obvious clue. That's my guess......any employee with any reasonable time with United would have seen the red flag waving in about two seconds and would have known the problem was about pass travelers and should have said so.
That's why I find Twitter to be a useless method of communication. One sentence statements, questions and answers do not solve big problems, they create more of a problem and bad press if the answer is vague or is not relevant (or misunderstood) to the question.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Mar 28, 2017 at 11:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.