Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate Agent Denied Boarding for NonRev Women Wearing Leggings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Agent Denied Boarding for NonRev Women Wearing Leggings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: 1K---2,909,450 BIS miles
Originally Posted by fredc84
The problem that could arise from this story is for the United employees, all of them, not just the ones involved in this incident. United might get to the point where they decide this is too much of a PR nightmare and so to prevent it from happening, they get rid of the pass benefit for non-employees. My airline has changed theirs several times, we used to be able to give passes to anyone, now we have to designate one person only to give them to. If you are married, you can't do that...but immediate family (ie. spouse, kids, parents) are all included.

So all the twitter idiots with their accusations may screw-over the very folks they claim to be supporting here.
This is what will likely happen, due to a Butt-In-Ski that is out to save the world. UAL will probably soon eliminate ALL passes for ANYONE except employees and maybe (if they're lucky) immediate family members. The reason to be given is that the company doesn't have proper oversight of "Friends" that an employee gives passes to, and also that employee is obviously NOT properly advising/supervising the person that they are sponsoring. Like everything else that is a benefit, it only takes one screw-up to ruin it for everyone else.

Three things went wrong here ---

#1 The pass riders showed up to the gate improperly dressed to use the benefit.

#2 . The g/a somehow let it be known to the flying public, that these girls needed to change or they weren't getting on the plane.

#3 . A woman who didn't have the foggiest idea what was going on between UAL and a pass-rider, stuck her nose in it, and screwed a benefit up for thousands of employees.

Btw, any, and all, of the above posts re what is proper to wear in today's world, on a plane, has absolutely nothing to due with a policy of a particular company.

Google --- "Fake News" in a few days and this story will pop up, due to the fact that the whole (true) story was not put out there at the beginning, because that isn't necessary/honorable, or a requirement, in today's world!!!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by jspira
It's not a question of revenue from non-revs. Rather, employees value their travel benefits very highly and any restrictions placed thereupon would greatly impact morale and partially undo the progress Oscar has made in employer-employee relations since becoming CEO.
You obviously don't work for an airline. The employees may value the travel benefits but the company does not. It is not part of the work contract, we are always told it is a benefit given to us by the company...that they can change at any time...and they have. We've even tried to get it codified into our labor contracts, but the company has never allowed it.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:09 am
Suspended

You obviously don't work for an airline. The employees may value the travel benefits but the company does not. It is not part of the work contract, we are always told it is a benefit given to us by the company...that they can change at any time...and they have. We've even tried to get it codified into our labor contracts, but the company has never allowed it.
BINGO! here's your answer folks!

Many, many people work for an airline for the flying benefits, NOT THE PAY, and the airlines know that. Push the company too hard, and it will be 100% part-timers from now on instead of 98%, with NO benefits, and that goes for health ins, also.

Nearly any position that an airline provides is NOT a happy experience. Why, you might ask? Because for little pay you constantly get flack from your bosses, and you can always count on having a pax ready to beef you at every turn, which includes folks on these forums!!!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
BINGO! here's your answer folks!

Many, many people work for an airline for the flying benefits, NOT THE PAY, and the airlines know that. Push the company too hard, and it will be 100% part-timers from now on instead of 98%, with NO benefits, and that goes for health ins, also.

Nearly any position that an airline provides is NOT a happy experience. Why, you might ask? Because for little pay you constantly get flack from your bosses, and you can always count on having a pax ready to beef you at every turn, which includes someone on these forums!!!
Well, we don't make dirt...not all of us, LOL.

And yes, the travel benefits are important, even to someone like me who uses them once or twice a year. But given a choice between having my travel curtailed or the ability to give my passes to someone who might possibly get me in trouble while they use them (and yes, this does happen), guess which option I would pick.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
You fail to see we are more or less saying the same thing.

And yes, airlines have kept flight benefits out of labor contracts, often citing the need to make changes based on operational needs, but in the same vein, some airlines have expanded flight benefits (AA comes to mind), which is something the airline could not have done were it codified in a contract.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:22 am
Suspended

Well, we don't make dirt...not all of us, LOL.

And yes, the travel benefits are important, even to someone like me who uses them once or twice a year. But given a choice between having my travel curtailed or the ability to give my passes to someone who might possibly get me in trouble while they use them (and yes, this does happen), guess which option I would pick.
My daughter-in-law has 36 years with The Delta, and since my son refuses to fly they never get on a plane. As far as me using their pass benefits --- been offered them many times, but NO THANKS, I gave up doin' the "Stand-by-Shuffle" years ago.

I FLY FOR MILES, and primarily so I can show off my Lululemon's!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
the best result for United is for this story to fall off the news cycle BUT be aware that another incident even remotely similar to this one will resurrect this bad PR again. I cannot see United playing around with employee pass privileges because of this as this would become another news story over what..leggings??? really!!!
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by james dean
the best result for United is for this story to fall off the news cycle BUT be aware that another incident even remotely similar to this one will resurrect this bad PR again. I cannot see United playing around with employee pass privileges because of this as this would become another news story over what..leggings??? really!!!
It's not "playing around with" the benefit. They change all the time. In my 26 years at my airline, I think they've been changed about 5 times, only once for the better. They might not change it now, but next time corporate decides to review the policy, they might then. From a PR perspective, they would probably want to wait anyway.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by spin88
(1) I agree that certain type of clothing are NOT appropriate. Not for passengers, and to the extent pass travelers are more w/i UA's control, certainly not them. The bans on ripped clothing, wearing underwear, etc, make perfect sense. Here is how Delta cheekly tweated out their policy:

"@fredericl We don't have an item-specific clothing policy, but we encourage no swimwear, sleepwear or underwear as your outerwear. ��"

https://twitter.com/Delta/status/846393226890280966

I don't see anyone defending employees wearing rap style clothing with their underwear showing...

(2) The nub of the dispute is "leggins" You suggest (and many people here assume) that they are banned. Yet the policy is no " Form-fitting lycra/spandex tops, pants and dresses." My SO - who has worked for many years in marketing in the fashion industry says that there is no way that leggings are any of those things. She says that leggings are not made of lycra/spandex as it does not form the outer part of the fabrique, and that they are a different area of clothing in the industry, designed for casual wear, not athletics. She never would have seen leggings as banned, even reading the policy.

There is a subconscious view by some on this board that "united makes the rules" so when they interpret them, they are correct. My lawyerly side says that its not so clear that the pass holders would have seen an issue, and I suspect if they were actually leggins, not "spandex/lycra tights" that many GAs would not have had an issue either. I don't know what the team was actually wearing.

(3) lawyerly responses, like quoting the CoC got UA into trouble here, and then they got sucked into a cultural war over women's clothing. Anyone who has ever dated/been married, hell even been a (non-gay) male friend of a woman, knows "don't comment on what a woman wears" @:-)@:-)@:-) It never, never, never ends well. My guess is that United's twitter staff is male, I get a feeling that Delta's is more mixed, its is IMHO part of why Delta does better at social media

No, Delta used social media exactly how it is supposed to be used. For those not following the link, Delta tweated out:

"Flying Delta means comfort. (That means you can wear your leggings. ��)"

then when a UA flier/loyalist said "cheap shot" delta responded:

"@fredericl We don't have an item-specific clothing policy, but we encourage no swimwear, sleepwear or underwear as your outerwear. ��"

then someone says:

"@Delta love the joke but comfort...im 6 foot tall and my knees touch the front seat not too comfortable. Don't look forward to this flight."

Delta asked for his flight details, and then posted this:

"@Julio_Party_Boy I was able to assign both of you emergency exit row seats with a little more leg room."

The contrast with United's frequently bot like defensiveness on Twitter is very stark.

This was the big, big mistake. United's first response is to defend themselves with anything that is lying around. It does not end well.
I disagree with your assertion that DL does twitter (or more generally social media) better than UA. In fact, this fiasco reminds me of the incident with the DL twitter team several years ago where someone asked about DL's breast feeding policy. The DL staff member who responded apparently didn't realize that this was a "hot button" issue, with any response likely to go viral very quickly. There was an incorrect statement of DL policy which some people found very offensive, thereby resulting in a few days of extremely bad publicity. IIRC the twit who started it all was also some sort of social activist.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
It's not "playing around with" the benefit. They change all the time. In my 26 years at my airline, I think they've been changed about 5 times, only once for the better. They might not change it now, but next time corporate decides to review the policy, they might then. From a PR perspective, they would probably want to wait anyway.
true, but a public reveal of the amended policy will once again bring this story to light again if they "play around" or using your words "change" the policy with an apparent sexist clothing restriction, IMO they will "let sleeping dogs lie" on this one....
Old Mar 28, 2017, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jspira
What would that have to do with rules for non-revenue travel?
Because United invoked the Contract of Carriage, not some union agreement or whatever, in their response to this situation.

Others upthread have clarified that miles/voucher tickets count as revenue travel, but I can see how this might not be obvious to everyone. When they refer to CoC and then in some articles a reference is made to a "non-revenue" ticket (as opposed to employees traveling, deadheading, jumpseating, or one of those other terms), I can see where some might wonder if a FF ticket is different than a paid one.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by james dean
true, but a public reveal of the amended policy will once again bring this story to light again if they "play around" or using your words "change" the policy with an apparent sexist clothing restriction, IMO they will "let sleeping dogs lie" on this one....
I'm not talking about changing the clothing policy, I'm talking about changes to the benefit as in who can use it...I can easily see the next time contract negotiations happen with one of their biggest unions they do it then, that's when my airline usually does it.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
#3 . A woman who didn't have the foggiest idea what was going on between UAL and a pass-rider, stuck her nose in it, and screwed a benefit up for thousands of employees.
Y'know, I've heard of victim-blaming before, but bystander-blaming, that's a new one on me.

Google --- "Fake News" in a few days and this story will pop up, due to the fact that the whole (true) story was not put out there at the beginning, because that isn't necessary/honorable, or a requirement, in today's world!!!
Well, I don't know where I heard this from, but someone once told me "Perception is reality". But to say any more would be venturing into OMNI territory.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamar
Y'know, I've heard of victim-blaming before, but bystander-blaming, that's a new one on me.
Y'know, I don't know how much of this thread you've read, but the cause of this fiasco was due to a "bystander" tweeting about something that she didn't have all the facts about. The issue was actually between the g/a and the pass-rider, and "Ms. Save the World" decided to fix something that wasn't broken, in the first place. As a result, this matter has gotten a blown out of proportion, by people that aren't interested in the true facts and causes.

It was none of anyone else's business, nor decision, how someone should be dressed.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by jamar
Easy to understand and still maintains a baseline of "decent dress" as far as I'm concerned. If you don't draw attention to yourself in a bad way ("just got out of bed" look, showing too much, etc), you're cleared to fly non-rev. That's reasonable. The average paying passenger wouldn't even know a given passenger was traveling non-rev, let alone assume that they're "representing the airline"; as far as I'm concerned they only draw attention to that fact by shaming passengers like this. If they hadn't, then this media blow-up wouldn't have happened. And heaven knows I'll catch some flak for this opinion, but I agree with a comment made way back near the beginning:
I don't expect Delta to be humble and accurate with their Tweets, and they weren't this time either. There's more to their policy than just the items they mention. They also expect you to self-police and hold yourself to a respectful standard. Their policy is more subjective and unclear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.