Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate Agent Denied Boarding for NonRev Women Wearing Leggings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, MileagePlus Silver, Executive National

Found this on my twitter feed figured there would be a thread 6 pages long by now. Seems to be a reasonable amount of twitter activity regarding this and @united involved as well

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/845992819894321153

Surely not going to end well if media coverage picks up significantly on this. Could have played it as rogue gate agent but now with twitter handle defending etc makes it much harder to restep.

cliff notes
Gate agent at DEN requiring women wearing leggings to change/cover up or not board aircraft. People tweet at united regarding this. @united defends gate agent quoting COC rules.

triple edit just saw below tweets hours after initial story. Still a little crazy but less of a story for sure

Last edited by homanga; Mar 26, 2017 at 12:25 pm
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This comment from United semi-explains it (though it still seems silly):

"Please know these passengers were pass riders: United employees or eligible dependents standing by o..."
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by PTravel

"Please know these passengers were pass riders: United employees or eligible dependents standing by o..."
I seem to recollect that NRSA's have a dress code. Seems to be another "oh the humanity" tweet with some ill-perceived bias
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold

Buy a ticket and wear what you want. It seems reasonable to me that United can set the rules for people riding on buddy passes or nonrev. This is not new.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

If pass riders {failing to follow required pass rider dress code} and then taking to social media to criticize UA, their pass riding days are probably finished.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If pass riders {failing to follow required pass rider dress code} and then taking to social media to criticize UA, their pass riding days are probably finished.
I don't think it was the pass rider that criticized it, I think it was just a bystander
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
It's gonna be tough to figure out who to "blame" here, and the Star-Tribune is probably not going to understand this process, but assuming the UA spokesman is correct that pax were flying on an industry-discount pass or employee pass, whoever arranged that travel for them should really also have apprised them of a dress code.

It's obviously not these two teenagers' fault that they chose to wear yoga pants on a particular day -- that's a totally normal thing to do -- but the person who arranged their pass travel should have told them "by the way, in order to be allowed to fly NRSA, you'll need to meet a few criteria. One of them is this dress-code requirement. I suggest you always bring a dress-code compliant set of clothing when flying NRSA."

Which everyone who does this often certainly does.

http://www.flyzed.info/UA is a crystal clear if possible out of date/third party explanation of the rules NRSA pax agree to follow:
The following attire is unacceptable in any cabin but is not limited to:

Any attire that reveals a midriff.
Attire that reveals any type of undergarments.
Attire that is designated as sleepwear, underwear, or swim attire.
Mini Skirts
Shorts that do not meet 3 inches above the knee when in a standing position.
Form-fitting lycra/spandex tops, pants and dresses.
Attire that has offensive and/or derogatory terminology or graphics.
Attire that is excessively dirty or has holes/tears.
Any attire that is provocative, inappropriately revealing, or see-through clothing.
Bare feet
Beach-type, rubber flip-flops
I'm virtually certain that 0% of the mainstream press will get this right.

I think it's not particularly a gender discrimination thing (men can and do wear form-fitting leggings and would also have been turned away based on the airline's unisex dress code for NRSA travel).

Also pretty sure that 0% of the press will ask why and whether NRSA dress code rules exist. I think it's an arcane holdover, like the electronic-devices-after-takeoff situation which mysteriously became safe overnight. Like a throwback to a time when people actually looked at one another in public instead of staring intently at the nearest LCD screen for hours. Back when people might have noticed that pax around them were airline employees or traveling on buddy passes (this is often hard to discern, but sometimes crew will recognize NRSA travelers and chat w/ them or give them free drinks) and might have even noticed the attire of those NRSA travelers and might have even cared (who?!).

Meanwhile those in the know will smile grimly at one another and knowingly say "remember back when DL and UA began to allow jeans in 2010-2011? That made things a lot easier for us, huh?".
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A little hard to sort out the real facts here, but apparently the GA forced a 10 year old girl to change her clothes. If so, that does sound unnecessary and out of line.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes, regardless whether the GA acted appropriately, if the pass holder is the one who tweeted, very very bad idea.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
A little hard to sort out the real facts here, but apparently the GA forced a 10 year old girl to change her clothes. If so, that does sound unnecessary and out of line.
Only if she was a revenue passenger. If she was traveling on a pass, I don't agree.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If she was traveling on a pass, I don't agree.
Same here. My brother flies for DL, and he tells me that they are just as strict about how employees and their families must dress when flying on a pass.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
The replies on Twitter are idiotic. United simply should not have responded to what was going on.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/Starwood Platinum Elite, National Executive Elite
Made the homepage of people http://people.com/human-interest/soc...ngs-on-flight/
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by WIRunner
The replies on Twitter are idiotic. United simply should not have responded to what was going on.
337 replies to the tweet, and that number is growing exponentially. I refreshed after writing my first sentence here and it's now up to 345. This has exploded.

The replies are asinine for the most part, but this is a textbook example of corporate social media taking the wrong approach and having it blow up in their face. This could easily become the next "UA breaks guitars."

383 now.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by riphamilton
337 replies to the tweet, and that number is growing exponentially. I refreshed after writing my first sentence here and it's now up to 345.
That's far from exponential growth (or at least very slow growth)...
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:02 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
"UA breaks Lululemon" perhaps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.