Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate Agent Denied Boarding for NonRev Women Wearing Leggings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Agent Denied Boarding for NonRev Women Wearing Leggings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by HHQX888
This was two kids 10 and 11 years old in leggins, and father in shorts !!! entered cabin w/o any problems.
All explenations from UA are ridiculous and sexist.
Spelling, please.

The details you posted above are not factual and are not representative of what actually happened.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:42 am

This was two kids 10 and 11 years old in leggins, and father in shorts !!! entered cabin w/o any problems.
Lycra / spandex is on the do not wear list, was he in bicycle shorts? If not then it is not a 1 for 1 comparison.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by runner450
Spelling, please.

The details you posted above are not factual and are not representative of what actually happened.
Details? We don't need no stinkin' details

(We don't need spelling either for that matter)

But your comment is correct. The details in the post you quoted were a gross misrepresentation of actual facts. Perhaps they were "alternative facts" even.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AS (MVP), UA (silver), AA, DL, Hilton (Gold)
While I often applaud quick action on social accounts. In this case, I think it is what helped make this a bigger issues. When @united first replied that it is at GA discretion to decide if a PAX can board, that's what really gave this story juice. I think @united should have just replied, "we are looking into it, thanks for bringing it to our attention"

I think the reason that this story got so big is pent up frustration around the double standard of women vs male dress codes. Schools often have much more strict codes for girls than boys. I am not a qualified dress code expert so I am not sure if not being allowed to wear spandex is equivalent to men not being able to wear shorts (that are too short).

On a related note, could UA even change this policy quickly if they wanted to? I imagine it might be part of multiple union contracts since it affects employee travel.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I am pretty sure your statement above is not accurate. As the WHOLE story comes out the FACTS are definitely different.

There were TWO groups of travelers that Ms Watts observed. A group of 3 females traveling NRSA (of which 2 were described as teenagers) & a revenue family of 3 with an approximate 10 year old daughter (probably with the Dad wearing shorts). The NRSA's left the gate when they were told they were not in compliance & the revenue family overhead the conversation and put the dress on their daughter even though they did not have to. I am sure if the Gate Agent had observed them, she would have told them that was not necessary as they were doing nothing wrong. They misinterpreted what they overheard and Ms Watson misinterpreted what she witnessed.

I can't even say my interpretation of the situation is accurate either, as I have had to piece it together from several sources (a few of which are main stream media updating their stories). And to be honest, I doubt the identities of the NRSA pax and the ages of the young ladies will ever come out. I am sure the internet mob believes they are entitled to this information, but they are not. It is internal company information and I am sure the NRSA pax just want this to go away and are embarrassed at the negative publicity their actions have brought to United. They probably want their privacy protected from the maelstrom.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: none
Originally Posted by MY-OTHER-BROTHER-"TED"
MSPeconomist "I don't see how one can claim that the UA policy is sexist."

Shannon Watts can as she is the founder of, "Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America."

Shannon Watts is a 44-year-old mother of five children. Ms. Watts was not an activist or involved in gun issues prior to the shootings at Sandy Hook on Dec. 14, 2012. The day after the tragedy, she started a Facebook page for Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America. That online conversation turned into an offline grassroots movement of American mothers fighting for public safety measures that respect the Second Amendment and protect people from gun violence. Moms Demand Action has established a chapter in every state of the country and is part of "Everytown for Gun Safety", the largest gun violence prevention organization in the country with more than 2.5 million members.
That's too bad.

Before this flap I had never even heard of Shannon Watts. She may have some good ideas. But now, I guess I will never take seriously anything I hear about her.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pfpdx
While I often applaud quick action on social accounts. In this case, I think it is what helped make this a bigger issues.
That would be a bad thing then.

I think @united should have just replied, "we are looking into it, thanks for bringing it to our attention"
Yes. The CoC response was simply wrong.

I think the reason that this story got so big is pent up frustration around the double standard of women vs male dress codes. Schools often have much more strict codes for girls than boys. I am not a qualified dress code expert so I am not sure if not being allowed to wear spandex is equivalent to men not being able to wear shorts (that are too short).
No, it's equivalent to men being told they cannot wear leggings and spandex. Leggings and spandex are sold by major brands for both gentlemen and ladies. And both genders do wear them. Nothing sexist there. (Please note, I did find the mini skirt reference to be more fodder for being called out as sexist but that can be fixed by saying men cannot wear Daisy Dukes.)

On a related note, could UA even change this policy quickly if they wanted to? I imagine it might be part of multiple union contracts since it affects employee travel.
It's unlikely to be part of any contract. Airlines can make unilateral changes to flight benefits with relative ease. United's dress code seems to be a bit more restrictive than those of its competitors (AA, DL) but if you go back 15 years, you'd find that virtually all of the major airlines required business casual in business and first.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by halls120
This. x1000.

So United should let self-appointed busybodies dictate company policy?
Unfortunately in this day and age corporations just need to be cognizant of how these incidents can get rapidly out of hand...
..and further more if leggings are A OK for regular pax, why would they be inappropriate for pass travellers, I mean really??
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by james dean
I get your point, but United PR should know how these events get overblown and distorted. Im sure if the GA knew this would go viral most likely she would have just let the girls board and probably United PR feels the same way...
I think this is the key take. 10 years ago Spandex was richard simons weird, today leggins are totally kosher. And they are basically all that most girls wear. When I pick up my 10 year old, 3/4 of the girls are wearing leggins.

To the extent that United wants to enforce this policy, they ought to do so quietly. A lack of good sense by the GA in this case, a UA PR dropped the ball.

I am not so sure that it is sexist. When this was likely drafted, Leggins were basically gym clothes. On the right person, they are slightly revealing. On the wrong person they are well, ick. Shorts on men never had/have a connotation of sex. Lycra did when it first came out. What has happened is that standards of dress have changed.

As an example, my kids go to a relatively proper private school. On days I work at home, I just wear gym clothes, but I used to change and put on shorts/long pants to pick them up. 4-5 years ago only a few of the women in the middle of early midlife crisis would be seen in lycra, then it started changing, now I see many more moms in lycra/work out clothes, and a few of the dads started following. I figured what the heck, I pay enough, I can wear what I want. Now it is basically standard behavior, 2/3 of the moms are in gym clothes, and those of us dad's with scheduling flexibility do as well.

And while this may not be the norm in many parts of the US, well we are California, it will get to the rest of the US soon.

Originally Posted by halls120
So United should let self-appointed busybodies dictate company policy?
The "busybody" clearly did not know it was a pass traveler. But to answer your question yes. A good rule of thumb for any public sector company that sells to the public, is that if it makes your brand look stodgy/racist/sexist/uncaring/callus, don't do it...
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: United, Turkish
OK true story. I was six years old in second grad In Catholic School. I went to school in blue corduroy pants. The nun in charge decided they were not "uniform pants" and ordered me to go home and change. I walked the mile back home and my mother was horrified to see me. She had no idea i was coming home. She put me in the car and drove down to the archbishops office. She was furious. he was out og town but she got to his top aide. He called the school. They said they had a strict policy that any student out of uniform would be sent home. His response was change the policy and they did. Having a right is not the same thing as being smart.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am

@spin88: Sexist was that father can enter with shorts and teenage in leggings can't enter cabin. Ridiculous is that UA used kids as company representative.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:05 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Let's be honest, everyone. There's some news. It will blow over. No one is making airline ticket decisions based on this "story".

Originally Posted by james dean
Unfortunately in this day and age corporations just need to be cognizant of how these incidents can get rapidly out of hand...
..and further more if leggings are A OK for regular pax, why would they be inappropriate for pass travellers, I mean really??
How about for the same reason that my waiter wears a shirt + tie, but I don't have to.

Companies can dictate dress code. This isn't new.

Originally Posted by spin88
To the extent that United wants to enforce this policy, they ought to do so quietly. A lack of good sense by the GA in this case, a UA PR dropped the ball.
The passenger using a pass also dropped the ball by drawing attention to an internal employee relations / HR issue.

Last edited by TBD; Mar 27, 2017 at 10:11 am
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by spin88
I think this is the key take. 10 years ago Spandex was richard simons weird, today leggins are totally kosher. And they are basically all that most girls wear. When I pick up my 10 year old, 3/4 of the girls are wearing leggins.

I am not so sure that it is sexist. When this was likely drafted, Leggins were basically gym clothes. On the right person, they are slightly revealing. On the wrong person they are well, ick. Shorts on men never had/have a connotation of sex. Lycra did when it first came out. What has happened is that standards of dress have changed.

As an example, my kids go to a relatively proper private school. On days I work at home, I just wear gym clothes, but I used to change and put on shorts/long pants to pick them up. 4-5 years ago only a few of the women in the middle of early midlife crisis would be seen in lycra, then it started changing, now I see many more moms in lycra/work out clothes, and a few of the dads started following. I figured what the heck, I pay enough, I can wear what I want. Now it is basically standard behavior, 2/3 of the moms are in gym clothes, and those of us dad's with scheduling flexibility do as well.

And while this may not be the norm in many parts of the US, well we are California, it will get to the rest of the US soon.

The "busybody" clearly did not know it was a pass traveler. But to answer your question yes. A good rule of thumb for any public sector company that sells to the public, is that if it makes your brand look stodgy/racist/sexist/uncaring/callus, don't do it...
You can bet your bottom dollar after this PR debacle United has already issued a memo reflecting this incident and how for it not to happen again..read: forget refusal to board due to leggings for pass holders!!!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Gate agents noting it by looking at something, saying something and others by looking at the passenger manifest details or listening to conversations?

It seems remarkable that a personal trip using an employee pass benefit has different applicable attire rules than a personal trip using other means to fly the same given flight -- even as it's industry practice of sorts.
I used to work on a cruise ship. Even when we were not working, we had to be in uniform or dressed according to a very strict dress code (no jeans ever, formal wear after 6pm etc), even though the passengers were dressed like slobs. We were representing the company 24/7, regardless of whether the passengers knew we were crew or not. Mr. Fink, who was an officer, had no such choice. For them, it was full uniform, all the time. Even if they were staying only in crew-only areas, such as their own dining room (and taking crew stairs to get there) and never setting foot in a place where passengers could possibly see them.

Their ship, their rules. How is that any different from a pass-riding airline employee? Just because it is personal time, in the company's view, anyone using employee perks is representing them. Don't like the rules, don't use the passes. Simple as that.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I still think of Spandex as Richard Simmons weird, but the modern leggings worn by teenagers and younger girls *don't* have that same look to them at all. My girls wear leggings, so do all their friends, and it never would have crossed my mind that an airline would see this as inappropriate, regardless of the fare basis of the ticket (which seems like a complete red herring to begin with).

Don't get me wrong: I still think leggings are weird, but that's because I'm not a teenage girl. Not because they're raunchy or inappropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.