Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate Agent Denied Boarding for NonRev Women Wearing Leggings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Agent Denied Boarding for NonRev Women Wearing Leggings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
So United quoted their contract of carriage in response to this story - mainly an agreement between the airline and people who *aren't* an employee of the airline. The reference to CoC makes me wonder: has this stupid double-standard-based-on-fare-type thing ever affected an award or voucher user who is not an employee of the airline?

In other words, if the kid in leggings wasn't on a revenue ticket, but was on either an award or some kind of VDB voucher, would the GA have actually prevented her from boarding?

I don't think I've ever personally pushed the envelope of an airline dress code (don't have my 1980s basketball shorts anymore...), but is it something to consider when I redeem awards?
No. Revenue passengers are all treated equally, regardless of how much they paid for the ticket. You'd have to really be asking for it to get denied boarding on a revenue ticket.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So United quoted their contract of carriage in response to this story - mainly an agreement between the airline and people who *aren't* an employee of the airline. The reference to CoC makes me wonder: has this stupid double-standard-based-on-fare-type thing ever affected an award or voucher user who is not an employee of the airline?

In other words, if the kid in leggings wasn't on a revenue ticket, but was on either an award or some kind of VDB voucher, would the GA have actually prevented her from boarding?

I don't think I've ever personally pushed the envelope of an airline dress code (don't have my 1980s basketball shorts anymore...), but is it something to consider when I redeem awards?
NO, award tickets and those paid with vouchers, etc. are considered revenue tickets. The nonrev dress code doesn't apply.

That's not to say that somewhere some GA or FA won't be confused about whether in fact a revenue passenger is flying nonrev, but this is just as likely to happen with tickets paid with money rather than miles/vouchers/etc.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 28, 2017 at 9:05 am Reason: Correcting autocorrect
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
No. That is false.

The pass flyers waited for another flight, and the parent of the younger child -- the one on a revenue ticket, and whose conversation was overheard -- had the child change even though it wasn't required. That family boarded without incident.
Everyone keeps talking about how sexist/double standard that the dad was allowed to wear shorts. Yet the non-rev dress code allows women to wear shorts as well....they could have changed into shorts and then what would the issue be?

Sweatpants aren't allowed; the female equivalent, at least material wise, are leggings. UA chooses to not allow either if you fly on a pass. That is basically all that happened. The blogger, like most of the people who bashed UA before knowing all the facts clearly will take anything and run with it for their own self-serving interests. Calling for a ban/xl tickets/etc. is just ridiculous.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not clear that there was a dad with the two teens who were denied boarding as nonrevs. My understanding is that there might have been a father with the ten year old revenue passenger in gray leggings who added the dress that wasn't required.

Revenue passengers are free to wear shorts, regardless of gender and age.

Note that some of the stories on the internet are posted with file pictures, not pictures of actually passengers on the flight in question. In particular, I suspect this is the case for the photo of the girl in hot pink leggings.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spin88
Thanks for the link! The key language from Delta is:

"You should never wear unclean,
revealing or lewd garments, or swimwear
or sleepwear on a flight."

This - if one takes away leggings on a 10 year old - which is where UA fell down here - makes sense.

No, when a list has 10 items, 9 of which are directed at woman, and basically nothing a man would wear is banned, it will come across to many as "men are trying to control women's bodies"
Saggy pants.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, UA LT Gold, Hertz PC, 5 MM+ miles
Company appearances count

At the company where I was a senior officer, all staff were required to dress conservatively, not chew gum or smoke in front of customers, etc. Because how we looked and behaved reflected very visibly on us and our company. Same for United and the other airlines. Instead of upgrading, I increasingly pay a first or business class fare. I periodically sit next to people who work for the airline or have a family and friends ticket. I tell them how much I appreciate the airline and the people who work there. But if my seatmate is in flip flops or other inappropriate attire, I think instead, what is this company coming to?

What the dress rules should be I leave to the airlines. They in turn would be smart to get input from their own employees. But in the process, please remember, people flying on friends & family passes do indeed symbolize your company, for better or worse.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

What would that have to do with rules for non-revenue travel?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:02 am

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior200
At the company where I was a senior officer, all staff were required to dress conservatively, not chew gum or smoke in front of customers, etc. Because how we looked and behaved reflected very visibly on us and our company. Same for United and the other airlines.
This expresses the reason for the dress code very succinctly. United employees (and by extension family members tapping into employee benefits) are in fact in front of customers.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
No. That is false.

The pass flyers waited for another flight, and the parent of the younger child -- the one on a revenue ticket, and whose conversation was overheard -- had the child change even though it wasn't required. That family boarded without incident.
This is the thing that really irks me about this story. So much sloppy journalism by almost all the news sources has perpetuated a falsehood started by the initial tweeter.

The 10 year old and her Dad have become the center of this story for so many people and they were not the non-revs that were denied boarding. The news cycle is about to move on from this story and I dare say that probably 70% or more of the people have the situation wrong in their minds. Even if they agree with United, they think the Dad and 10 year old were the non-revs. Ridiculous.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
This is the thing that really irks me about this story. So much sloppy journalism by almost all the news sources has perpetuated a falsehood started by the initial tweeter. ... Ridiculous.
I concur and originally, when our (i.e. Frequent Business Traveler's) news editor asked me my opinion as to whether we should even cover this, I said no. Once I learnt (fairly early on) that this involved an NRSA dress code, I then told the editor to cover it using a very clear headline which was:

Two Girls Barred from Flying United for Wearing Leggings Were Subject to Employee Dress Code

and our editor made sure that the NRSA issue was early on in the story:

What Watts and others did not know is that the girls were not paying passengers, but non-revenue passengers traveling on an employee pass. United, similar to other airlines, has an employee dress code in place for anyone traveling on such a pass, be that person an employee, a relative, or a friend....

<SNIP>
Even basic facts, such as the dress code is not publicly available on the web (it is on the flyzed site and probably elsewhere), were wrong in almost all of the stories.

The only good thing I can think about the story is that it briefly eclipsed stories about the president and what is going on in Washington.

This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by iapetus
Don't more of us see that both points have value and that this isn't a black/white thing?

United's policies are clearly laid out. While I have never flown (and probably never will fly) non-rev, I have friends who do. Even I know that there are dress standards for non-rev pax. So I don't have a lot of sympathy for the women who were turned away. They should have known better, and UA should have handled it better.

OTOH, I don't see what UA stands to gain from enforcing a policy which, as others have said, have impacts that almost none of us see. And I don't blame anyone from being critical of it; yet I wouldn't blame UA for incorporating (or not) that criticism as they see fit.

In the end, there are lessons that UA can draw from this on a few levels. I hope they do. I also hope that people start thinking more critically about news that they read and events that they observe.
(1) I agree that certain type of clothing are NOT appropriate. Not for passengers, and to the extent pass travelers are more w/i UA's control, certainly not them. The bans on ripped clothing, wearing underwear, etc, make perfect sense. Here is how Delta cheekly tweated out their policy:

"@fredericl We don't have an item-specific clothing policy, but we encourage no swimwear, sleepwear or underwear as your outerwear. 😃"

I don't see anyone defending employees wearing rap style clothing with their underwear showing...

(2) The nub of the dispute is "leggins" You suggest (and many people here assume) that they are banned. Yet the policy is no " Form-fitting lycra/spandex tops, pants and dresses." My SO - who has worked for many years in marketing in the fashion industry says that there is no way that leggings are any of those things. She says that leggings are not made of lycra/spandex as it does not form the outer part of the fabrique, and that they are a different area of clothing in the industry, designed for casual wear, not athletics. She never would have seen leggings as banned, even reading the policy.

There is a subconscious view by some on this board that "united makes the rules" so when they interpret them, they are correct. My lawyerly side says that its not so clear that the pass holders would have seen an issue, and I suspect if they were actually leggins, not "spandex/lycra tights" that many GAs would not have had an issue either. I don't know what the team was actually wearing.

(3) lawyerly responses, like quoting the CoC got UA into trouble here, and then they got sucked into a cultural war over women's clothing. Anyone who has ever dated/been married, hell even been a (non-gay) male friend of a woman, knows "don't comment on what a woman wears" @:-)@:-)@:-) It never, never, never ends well. My guess is that United's twitter staff is male, I get a feeling that Delta's is more mixed, its is IMHO part of why Delta does better at social media

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
------
Delta has thrown a low-blow to UA here. Why don't I (ignorantly) just assume that they are now allowing their own employees in tight, revealing, spandex leggings or tights.....ballet tights for men ? - now that would be a sight.
No, Delta used social media exactly how it is supposed to be used. For those not following the link, Delta tweated out:

"Flying Delta means comfort. (That means you can wear your leggings. &#128521"

then when a UA flier/loyalist said "cheap shot" delta responded:

"@fredericl We don't have an item-specific clothing policy, but we encourage no swimwear, sleepwear or underwear as your outerwear. 😃"

then someone says:

"@Delta love the joke but comfort...im 6 foot tall and my knees touch the front seat not too comfortable. Don't look forward to this flight."

Delta asked for his flight details, and then posted this:

"@Julio_Party_Boy I was able to assign both of you emergency exit row seats with a little more leg room."

The contrast with United's frequently bot like defensiveness on Twitter is very stark.

So United quoted their contract of carriage in response to this story - mainly an agreement between the airline and people who *aren't* an employee of the airline.
This was the big, big mistake. United's first response is to defend themselves with anything that is lying around. It does not end well.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
The problem that could arise from this story is for the United employees, all of them, not just the ones involved in this incident. United might get to the point where they decide this is too much of a PR nightmare and so to prevent it from happening, they get rid of the pass benefit for non-employees. My airline has changed theirs several times, we used to be able to give passes to anyone, now we have to designate one person only to give them to. If you are married, you can't do that...but immediate family (ie. spouse, kids, parents) are all included.

So all the twitter idiots with their accusations may screw-over the very folks they claim to be supporting here.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
The problem that could arise from this story is for the United employees, all of them, not just the ones involved in this incident. United might get to the point where they decide this is too much of a PR nightmare and so to prevent it from happening, they get rid of the pass benefit for non-employees. My airline has changed theirs several times, we used to be able to give passes to anyone, now we have to designate one person only to give them to. If you are married, you can't do that...but immediate family (ie. spouse, kids, parents) are all included.

So all the twitter idiots with their accusations may screw-over the very folks they claim to be supporting here.
The PR nightmare arose from the nosy busybody who sent the initial tweet, and was not the employee's doing. I don't think United (or any airline) would throw the baby out with the bathwater and rein in the use of passes per se - indeed we have no evidence that the two non-rev travelers were not in fact immediate family members who simply forgot or disregarded the dress code. The two did not (reportedly) even make a fuss when told about it.

On the plus side, at this point in time, no one should be able to feign ignorance about pass travel dress codes going forward
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by jspira
The PR nightmare arose from the nosy busybody who sent the initial tweet, and was not the employee's doing. I don't think United (or any airline) would throw the baby out with the bathwater and rein in the use of passes per se - indeed we have no evidence that the two non-rev travelers were not in fact immediate family members who simply forgot or disregarded the dress code. The two did not (reportedly) even make a fuss when told about it.

On the plus side, at this point in time, no one should be able to feign ignorance about pass travel dress codes going forward
I'm not talking about the fuss at the gate, just all the internet/twitter fuss. And they wouldn't be throwing out "baby out with the bathwater" by changing their non-rev policy and making it more restrictive...they don't make money on non-revs.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
And they wouldn't be throwing out "baby out with the bathwater" by changing their non-rev policy and making it more restrictive...they don't make money on non-revs.
It's not a question of revenue from non-revs. Rather, employees value their travel benefits very highly and any restrictions placed thereupon would greatly impact morale and partially undo the progress Oscar has made in employer-employee relations since becoming CEO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.