Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Gate Agent Denied Boarding for NonRev Women Wearing Leggings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate Agent Denied Boarding for NonRev Women Wearing Leggings

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:34 pm

Stand by your rules!

It looks like Shannon Watts wanted another 15 minutes of fame to have to start this tweet! The fault lies with the person who gave the non-rev tickets to the girls, by not making it clear what is expected by way of dress, decorum, etc. I hope United does not back down in any manner. When will people learn that you cannot just bend the rules to suit your fancy. Stay strong.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
On my flight today, the FAs were talking about this and are really PO'd about Shannon Watts making trouble for them.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 30, 2017 at 4:38 pm Reason: OT content removed
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
On my flight today, the FAs were talking about this and are really PO'd about Shannon Watts making trouble for them.
Oh please...people like Ms. Watts are all over the place 'making trouble' and stirring up the shizz. It's freedom of speech, man (whether it's true, false, or something grey in between, such as in this case). OF COURSE the FAs got their knickers in a knot...they don't like it when people criticize them when they're just doing their job.

The real issue here isn't 'fake news', it's how UA dealt with a complaint about an employee enforcing a stale rule. However you slice it, there's TONS of consensus on this point...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 30, 2017 at 4:37 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Dave Carroll.
Remember him and the damage United's handling of his problem caused the airline?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Ifti Khan
The fault lies with the person who gave the non-rev tickets to the girls, by not making it clear what is expected by way of dress, decorum, etc.
People make mistakes. That doesn't mean that they weren't told the rules. It's not usually a bid deal. The agent points it out and the pass rider goes and changes. That's usually the end of it.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
I can see it now - travelers in your second group trying to make a purchase decision: "well, UA has the best price and/or the only nonstop to where I'm going, but since they aren't hip and they are mean to their employees and won't let them wear leggings, I'll pay more/have a less convenient trip."

Right.
Just to play devil's advocate... "well, all three members of the U.S. airline cartel have fixed their prices at the same level, and I read on Facebook that United was {redacted} to teenage girls about leggings. So, I'm going to fly one of the other two."

Of course I don't really expect this situation to cause serious financial woes for United. It's possible that by tomorrow, some other story about someone being treated poorly on AA or DL will emerge. Airlines stories trend to the negative, and even Southwest has mostly abandoned its former position as a unique brand that tried to be different.

(Not that this justifies United harassing teenagers about leggings.)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 30, 2017 at 4:59 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
when you leave it up to the GA discretion, it can turn ugly fast, they have been on a long shift, been harassed by pax on previous flight, missed coffee break due flight IROPS, then this young 10 year old shows up with leggins, ah...she's not boarding come hell or high water, besides Im cranky today
...just sayin'
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by james dean
then this young 10 year old shows up with leggins, ah...she's not boarding come hell or high water
To prevent further misunderstanding...

The 10-yr old was a revenue passenger who was just fine with what she was wearing. Her parents apparently overhead, and misunderstood, the conversation between the agent and the two pass riders who were teenagers.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by LarryJ

The 10-yr old was a revenue passenger who was just fine with what she was wearing. Her parents apparently overhead, and misunderstood, the conversation between the agent and the two pass riders who were teenagers.
OK, well then it must have been such a dust-up rather than done discretely even rev pax were freaking, Im sure UA wished the GA would have just booked off for this flight...
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LarryJ

At this point, I'm not sure the facts matter to some people here.

I understand the angst when we are discussing how UA sticks it to its customers, because sometimes, I have some of that angst. Why a UA policy that has no impact whatsoever on the UA customer base has so many people up in arms is simply amazing.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by halls120
At this point, I'm not sure the facts matter to some people here.

I understand the angst when we are discussing how UA sticks it to its customers, because sometimes, I have some of that angst. Why a UA policy that has no impact whatsoever on the UA customer base has so many people up in arms is simply amazing.
To answer your question - media sensationalism. I've seen this appear on the national news (in Canada) not to mention all the online sites. It's been completely blown out of proportion imho, people focus on the fact they were denied boarding, the fact that they weren't paying much if anything (taxes?) for the ticket seem to be glossed over.

That said, it would have been good for UA to mention this at check-in Assuming they DID some sort of check-in, I'm assuming even without checked baggage one has to see an agent to get a BP without actually paying. No experience of this.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Wow, this thread and story REALLY took off!

Originally Posted by jc94
To answer your question - media sensationalism. I've seen this appear on the national news (in Canada) not to mention all the online sites. It's been completely blown out of proportion imho, people focus on the fact they were denied boarding, the fact that they weren't paying much if anything (taxes?) for the ticket seem to be glossed over.
+1 Exactly!

Not sure if this was already posted, but this Op-Ed on CNN.com gets it pretty much right in my opinion:
"United Airlines was right to bar leggings"
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by james dean
OK, well then it must have been such a dust-up rather than done discretely even rev pax were freaking, Im sure UA wished the GA would have just booked off for this flight...
No, United wishes whoever was running their twitter account would have initially said that the people in question were traveling on heavily discounted employee benefit travel which includes a dress code.

Instead they tried to beat their customers into submission with an obscure CoC provision, which, if interpreted as United's original tweet would let any rational person believe, means any random GA can suddenly decide to ruin your vacation if they don't like what you're wearing.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:27 am

The team running that Twitter account likely at that point in time had no access to specifics of the situation but is instructed to respond within a narrow time window. Twitter is kind of a trap for companies because of how quick and decisive your response must be. You can't fine tune your response the way you would have in the days where your primary means of communicating the company's position would have been via press release or comments made by a spokesperson to a reporter.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
The team running that Twitter account likely at that point in time had no access to specifics of the situation but is instructed to respond within a narrow time window. Twitter is kind of a trap for companies because of how quick and decisive your response must be. You can't fine tune your response the way you would have in the days where your primary means of communicating the company's position would have been via press release or comments made by a spokesperson to a reporter.
Well if that were my "team" they would promptly be fired for a very poor job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.