Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
Today's HKG-SFO flight: PJs were not proactively offered but after the meal service I asked a passing FA for some and she returned with one. I didn't see anyone in my section wearing them so I can't tell if the supply issue is resolved or I got the only one.
Received pjs on Sunday’s MEL->LAX flight. Saw a few ppl in them actually.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Sent Customer care a message a few days ago about UA851 from Feb 27th not having pajamas, and received this nice message back, dated March 9th.

"...I'm sorry we didn't have any pajamas available for you to Hong Kong.

We understand the importance of a relaxing travel experience and aim to exceed your expectations. From reading your comments, we missed the mark. During your travel, we experienced a shortage, but have since replenished our pajama inventory. Eligible United Polaris cabins are now stocked to our standard levels to ensure we can deliver on our promise..."

As a reference point: PEK-EWR, March 9th had pajamas stocked.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: 1K
The PJs are crap anyhow. Any frequent flier will have their own sleeping outfit.

I still have old Qantas pajamas that are used to clean up dog messes. UA one will be used accordingly. Why even bother
porciuscato likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hookthem
The PJs are crap anyhow. Any frequent flier will have their own sleeping outfit.
Except that my Brooks Brothers PJs are not really appropriate wear for a public flight. If I had my private jet......
mikeyf, Dublin_rfk and AceReport like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

I still have old Qantas pajamas that are used to clean up dog messes. UA one will be used accordingly. Why even bother
They're perfect to wear for 12 hours then discard right on-board. Saves from having to bring your own.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

I find the United PJs are actually very comfortable...especially the pants. End up using them at home as well.
They hold up surprisingly well, and get softer after some washings.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I find the United PJs are actually very comfortable...especially the pants. End up using them at home as well.
They hold up surprisingly well, and get softer after some washings.
Agree. I just noticed the pant tag says don’t tumble dry. Yet they have held up well through several cycles
iluv2fly and narvik like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...

Wow - we all have our opinions, but this seems a little strong.

I actually really enjoy the PJs and find them incredibly comfortable and, dare I say it, fashionable, compared to other airlines. Most airlines require F ticket before you get PJs and even those, based on my experience, aren't quite as comfy as the UA ones. And my sample size includes, Lufthansa F, Thai F and SQ F. While the others my have more brand name recognition, the UA ones are soft and comfy.

I even carry mine with me for other trans-oceanic flights in J and other airlines FAs have remarked on how nice they are. I'm no UA apologist, but I think they got the PJs right.

Last edited by FoxFlyer; Mar 11, 2019 at 7:23 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:32 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
3/7 IAD -> NRT available and the f/as proactively offered them after PDBs were served.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
3/8 ORD to NRT had them.
I actually rerouted in order to be on a flight over 12 hrs in order to get a set. I have F pajamas from Thai and Singapore and J Pajamas from EVA and now United. The EVAs are my favorite, amazingly stylish, comfortable, soft, and much thicker fabric than the others. UA PJs are my next favorite. I was actually really disappointed with my Thai and Singapore PJs considering they accompanied much more expensive tickets, both are boring plain black (surprisingly when they're supposed to represent a European fashion designer), incredibly thin fabric and neither had pants pockets. They seemed to serve as a way to promote the airlines' "designer" brand partnerships (Lalique and Boggi) more than to actually be good pajamas.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by therossinator
3/8 ORD to NRT had them.
The EVAs are my favorite, amazingly stylish, comfortable, soft, and much thicker fabric than the others.
I'm not sure if it's the PJ or their plane, but I got static a lot when I wear BR's PJ (especially combined with their table napkins). Almost never got static on United. My favorite is those from NH, but unfortunately you are supposed to return them at the end of the flight.

Last edited by ithinkurdumb; Jun 24, 2019 at 6:56 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I rather like them but no one is forcing you to take them. Others who want them will appreciate having one more pair left in inventory thanks to you ...
mpiotrow likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I rather like them but no one is forcing you to take them. Others who want them will appreciate having one more pair left in inventory thanks to you ...
Mine have now been run through the wash for a second time and they still look and feel great (even with the pointless buttons on the collar) so I'd say these are among the best airline pjs in my small collection and definitely a keeper!

Hookthem's comment is a bit OTT but the Qantas F pjs do not seem to be meant for use beyond the flight as they shrink too much after one wash. Hilariously, I did repurpose mine for clean up rags too, so...
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: UA
They were loaded on the UA 850 from PEK to ORD. I grabbed a set as well as the guy sitting across from me.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
The pants do shrink in length when washed but overall they hold up well. I have a few sets and happily wear them at home
iluv2fly and chavala like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.