Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2024, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Used United miles to book partner Avianca flight AXM-BOG-ABC (ABC is another South American city). United app shows fare class "Economy (X)" and Avianca app is opaque about fair class. All flights operated by Avianca.

Any idea if this fare includes a carry-on bag? I called Avianca, they do not know and told me to call United. I know United won't know. Anybody done this and know?
Old Apr 29, 2024, 6:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Used United miles to book partner Avianca flight AXM-BOG-ABC (ABC is another South American city). United app shows fare class "Economy (X)" and Avianca app is opaque about fair class. All flights operated by Avianca.

Any idea if this fare includes a carry-on bag? I called Avianca, they do not know and told me to call United. I know United won't know. Anybody done this and know?
As the first operated / marketed flight is AV, it will follow AV's rules. Not aware of any case where X on *A is not considered standard economy. ie not BE.
SPN Lifer and IMissThe747 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 29, 2024 at 7:41 pm
Old Apr 29, 2024, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As the first operated / marketed flight is AV, it will follow AV's rules. No aware of any case where X on *A is not considered standard economy. ie not BE.
Checked in, confirmed carry on is included. Thanks!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Here is an interesting one - XN and IN awards visible when signed out on MAJ-HNL.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by JALsnipe; Apr 30, 2024 at 4:11 pm
Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Here is an interesting one - XN and IN awards visible when singed out on MAJ-HNL.
85k is insanely high for IN
Xyzzy likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 3:03 pm

Programs: Bear Backers
Bear with me. I have a trip,planned for next Feb. A cruise and a land extension at the end of the cruise with Viking it would be helpful to know how many people are on the extension but not possible.

my wife and I have two Business seats going reserved to Auckland. My wife has the return, 1 seat from Melbourne to SFO on Feb 26 which she got for 200 k. That is now 250

i will have 198 k by May 10, when my credit card closes. I am tempted to buy 2000 miles so I have 200 k. 2 days after she flys there is a seat for 200 k. I could do this but who knows if it will still be available next week,

Since the 26 th is 250000 my wife has an extra 50000 mikes we created a pool, which we have not funded yet anticipating funding on May 19 when her credit card closes. We would like to fly together as I am 76 years old.but in fine health.

So what would you do? Wait and do the pool or hedge my bets and buy miles so I can book a day at 200K? On the 27 th the flight through Los Angeles to sfo has gone to 500 k. I can only assume more than 4 people, possibly on the Viking extension, have booked seats

my thoughts are to buy the miles on wed if the 27 th still shows 200 k
Old May 5, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Remember an award booking is fully refudable if a better option opens up. Book the most acceptable option soon and then look for better options later. Lock in before acceptable options disappear.
zitsky likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 3:27 pm

Good advice. Thanks

Remember an award booking is fully refudable if a better option opens up. Book the most acceptable option soon and then look for better options later. Lock in before acceptable options disappear.
Old May 5, 2024, 3:55 pm

If i call united and tell them i want to fly two days earlier will they just transfer my miles or do they have to be redeposited my account which might take a few days?
Old May 5, 2024, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by oskidunker
If i call united and tell them i want to fly two days earlier will they just transfer my miles or do they have to be redeposited my account which might take a few days?
Working with a good agent, they can reuse the miles without any delay.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
85k is insanely high for IN

You should look at HNL-GUM on the nonstop. Frequently at 400K in Bz. HNL-TYO or vv. doesn't even show up. Wonder how much that would be.
Old May 6, 2024, 12:48 pm

Today mileagecrequirement dropped from 250 knto 214 k.

Working with a good agent, they can reuse the miles without any delay.
i wonder how they came up with that. Several days have been reduced to that. Not much help for me but someone might be in that sweet spot
Old May 6, 2024, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
Been trying to find a reasonable J seat for a couple months now GRU-SEA and I've never seen anything lower than 175k OW. Is that the new norm? This is in July.
Old May 6, 2024, 3:15 pm

Its hard to figure out what they are doing

Originally Posted by eternalX
Been trying to find a reasonable J seat for a couple months now GRU-SEA and I've never seen anything lower than 175k OW. Is that the new norm? This is in July.
mileage requirements can change from morning to afternoon on any day. Check several times every day. If no one bites on high mileage requirements and no one buys cash tickets, you have a chance it could go down.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 6, 2024, 7:18 pm

If I booked a connection through EWR to MUC all on UA metal and a delay causes me to miss my connection in EWR, will UA rebook me on the LH flight that leaves a few hours later (space permitting?)

I have a 1.5 hr layover in EWR and I'm worried a delay will cause me to miss the flight to MUC. But there's a LH flight later that night. Wondering if UA will put me on that if i asked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.