Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old Jan 19, 2017, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Main Impact
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings or build itineraries that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment basically requires current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made)
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
EveryDay Awards - UA MP award changes 1 Nov 2017 (Everyday award/dynamic price, No RTW, No Show fee,..)
principle change - Standard awards being replaced by "EveryDay Award" with variable pricing

What is the Excursionist Perk?
The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.

Previous thread -- UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Print Wikipost

UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

Old May 7, 2024, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
You should look at HNL-GUM on the nonstop. Frequently at 400K in Bz. HNL-TYO or vv. doesn't even show up. Wonder how much that would be.
Well that obviously is not an IN ticket. My comment was that for 'IN' this is insanely high. Have no issues with JN being expensive.

Originally Posted by jbandy10
If I booked a connection through EWR to MUC all on UA metal and a delay causes me to miss my connection in EWR, will UA rebook me on the LH flight that leaves a few hours later (space permitting?)

I have a 1.5 hr layover in EWR and I'm worried a delay will cause me to miss the flight to MUC. But there's a LH flight later that night. Wondering if UA will put me on that if i asked.
Not necessarily, unless of course there is award availability on that flight. Much higher chance in Y than in J. UA will re-book into any available seat on their metal, getting partner flights will be YMMV and without top status and/or a willing agent, not an easy task to accomplish
Old May 7, 2024, 10:25 am

Currently have the following booked via AC AP:

SQ: NRT 1815-LAX 1115
UA next day: LAX-YVR

Would it be a gamble if I get the next day LAX-YVR changed to same day as SQ arrival in LAX:

UA: LAX-DEN 1430-1750
UA: DEN-YVR 1910-2114
Old May 7, 2024, 11:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by seks
Currently have the following booked via AC AP:

UA next day: LAX-YVR

Would it be a gamble if I get the next day LAX-YVR changed to same day as SQ arrival in LAX:

Baring in significant delays ( over 30 mins), an 80 minute connection at DEN is fine. Even time for a lounge visit if eligible.
There is usually an UA DEN-YVR flight 2 hours later at 2100 or so as a backup
When is this? Is the 19:10 flight UA or AC?
Old May 7, 2024, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Baring in significant delays ( over 30 mins), an 80 minute connection at DEN is fine. Even time for a lounge visit if eligible.
I think the bigger question is 3h15m at LAX, SQ to UA, on separate tickets. I generally prefer 4h+ on separate tickets, but in this case I might chance it, given that UA's pretty reasonable about these things under the Flat Tire Rule.
Old May 7, 2024, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
I think the bigger question is 3h15m at LAX, SQ to UA, on separate tickets. I generally prefer 4h+ on separate tickets, but in this case I might chance it, given that UA's pretty reasonable about these things under the Flat Tire Rule.
why would there be separate tickets?
Old May 7, 2024, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
why would there be separate tickets?
Upon taking a second look -- that was an assumption of mine due to the way that the OP wrote out the itinerary, but you're right -- it isn't necessarily the case. If this is a single ticket, I wouldn't be worried about any of the transfers, although it's certainly the long way to go to get from NRT to YVR. (Over 50% longer, which I would not have guessed: A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper )
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 2:15 pm

November. 1910 flight is also UA.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Upon taking a second look -- that was an assumption of mine due to the way that the OP wrote out the itinerary, but you're right -- it isn't necessarily the case. If this is a single ticket, I wouldn't be worried about any of the transfers, although it's certainly the long way to go to get from NRT to YVR. (Over 50% longer, which I would not have guessed: A map from the Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper )
The current itinerary is a one-way fare which requires me to overnight in LAX:

UA: LAX 1049+1 - YVR 1351+1

I do see this LAX-YVR as an option on the same day we arrived onto LAX:

I'm just wondering about the checked luggages transfer between 1750 arr and 1910 dep.

There are a couple of AC LAX-YVR on the same day we arrived onto LAX but $$$$ due to AC's dynamic pricing, making the redemption pointless.
Old May 7, 2024, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
November. 1910 flight is also UA. ....
November, OK. Was only looking thru summer. Appears in November there is no later flight UA or AC.
I'm just wondering about the checked luggages transfer between 1750 arr and 1910 dep. ...
On tight connections, in reality, the bags are more likely to make than you
UA's MCT is 40 minutes, well below your 80 minutes
And in the rare case you make it and bags don't, UA will deliver the bags the next day to your location
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 7, 2024 at 4:51 pm
Old May 7, 2024, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
And in the rare case you make it and bags don't, UA will deliver the bags the next days to your location
That doesn't work in many cases, like where you are boarding a cruise ship or going on another type of tour.
Old May 7, 2024, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That doesn't work in many cases, like where you are boarding a cruise ship or going on another type of tour.
That does not seem to be an issue for the OP as they originally were planning to arrive a day later.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 7, 2024, 9:01 pm

I'm seeing a lot of supposed LH/LX J awards from the West Coast to East European destinations that error out with the "Select another option: Flight availability with other airlines are subject to real-time availability verification..." message.

These awards do NOT show up on Aeroplan; is this a sure sign of phantom inventory, or is it worth calling?

And can you ask a phone agent to see if an itinerary is bookable without yet having the miles in your account?
Old May 8, 2024, 5:24 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos

And can you ask a phone agent to see if an itinerary is bookable without yet having the miles in your account?
Sure!
Old May 8, 2024, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos
I'm seeing a lot of supposed LH/LX J awards from the West Coast to East European destinations that error out with the "Select another option: Flight availability with other airlines are subject to real-time availability verification..." message.

These awards do NOT show up on Aeroplan; is this a sure sign of phantom inventory, or is it worth calling?

There has a lot of phantom inventory problems with LH-group flights in recent times. These are probably not available, if the validation fails. Married segments or something else is tripping up united.com

I have been successful in booking US-EU-India (same price) when US-EU gave an error - so there might be some ways around that problem, but it might create others. Have also been able to book other US-EU flights after finding the ones that would validate and then getting them ticketed wasn't an issue.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 8, 2024, 9:27 am

Ended up changing that LAX-YVR segment to LAX-DEN-YVR. No additional AP needed and each of us get 20 cents CAD refunded

November, OK. Was only looking thru summer. Appears in November there is no later flight UA or AC.
On tight connections, in reality, the bags are more likely to make than you
UA's MCT is 40 minutes, well below your 80 minutes
And in the rare case you make it and bags don't, UA will deliver the bags the next day to your location
I've only transited through DEN once back in 2018 so I don't remember much about it. As long as my UA inbound and outbound gates are not 1 hour walk between each other in DEN, Heck we will even try to drop by a lounge too on the way or within vicinity of outbound gate if we have time.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That does not seem to be an issue for the OP as they originally were planning to arrive a day later.
Just heading home to YVR.
Old May 8, 2024, 9:43 am

I've only transited through DEN once back in 2018 so I don't remember much about it. As long as my UA inbound and outbound gates are not 1 hour walk between each other in DEN, Heck we will even try to drop by a lounge too on the way or within vicinity of outbound gate if we have time.
Nothing is an hour walk at DEN. Even if you have to go A to B or v.v., 30 minutes tops. While not your 80 minutes, in late 2022, before the A United Club opened, we had a 100 minute connection at DEN from an A gate to another A gate and had plenty of time to go over to the open UC on B for 30 minutes or so.
seks likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.