Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance
Originally Posted by Baze
PQM and PQD will continue to increase as you fly for the calendar year then they go to 0 on the transition from Dec 31 to Jan 1. As they icrease when you meet the criteria for the next status level you get the status. You don't "spend" PQM or PQD.
Perfect! Thanks a lot!
Old May 27, 2017, 1:37 pm

Is there a way to book different specific fare codes on the outbound and return online, or do I have to call?

I'm trying to fly an international roundtrip. S is the lowest available fare. R class is only available outbound, so I'd like W on the outbound and S on the return. I rather not call, but if that's the only way, then I guess I'll have to.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sincx
Is there a way to book different specific fare codes on the outbound and return online, or do I have to call?

I'm trying to fly an international roundtrip. S is the lowest available fare. R class is only available outbound, so I'd like W on the outbound and S on the return. I rather not call, but if that's the only way, then I guess I'll have to.
You have to call, or you can email a travel agent (your CC might come with one). You could also try booking two one-ways but that's likely more expensive for international flights.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Try the following
Go to "All search options" (aka Advance Search) option and enter W as your fare class ( and all the other relevant info for the flights)

Start the search -- the first two columns should be Lowest economy and Requested Fare Class. Select the desired flight(s) and desired fare (lowest or Requested Fare Class)

This may just work in simple cases with no partners

Mixing different classes in a given direction is also problematic -- broken fares and potentially more expensive. So any time trying this manual, do a sanity check on the total fare.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'd like W on the outbound and S on the return. I rather not call, but if that's the only way, then I guess I'll have to.
You could book the S fare online, then call to up-fare the outbound.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Try the following
Go to "All search options" (aka Advance Search) option and enter W as your fare class ( and all the other relevant info for the flights)

Start the search -- the first two columns should be Lowest economy and Requested Fare Class. Select the desired flight(s) and desired fare (lowest or Requested Fare Class)
This should work fine. If more complicated than this, you will need to call.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Try the following

Yes, this will work. I would recommend searching for Q, V, W (or even the full string - Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W); that will return the lowest GPU-able fare under the "Requested Fare Class" column.

Depending on your routing, you may bump into combinability restrictions though. Japan fares are particularly difficult.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:17 pm

Recently got Premier Silver through Marriott, but on my online account, why it's still tracking progress for Silver and not Gold?
Old May 27, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by randomdude
Recently got Premier Silver through Marriott, but on my online account, why it's still tracking progress for Silver and not Gold?
A status match doesn't give you qualifying nights, only the status. So to reach gold you still have to stay all the nights required for it, hence your counter being at 0 as if you didn't have silver.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Originally Posted by randomdude
A status match doesn't give you qualifying nights, only the status. So to reach gold you still have to stay all the nights required for it, hence your counter being at 0 as if you didn't have silver.
Right thought but OP was probably asking about UA status and not Marriott status.

However, the answer is essentially the same. The status match grants the status but does not provide a jump start to the next level -- to get any higher levels you will have to earn it with the standard requirements.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:56 pm

Right thought but OP was probably asking about UA status and not Marriott status.
This. Sorry, my question was not clear.

However, the answer is essentially the same. The status match grants the status but does not provide a jump start to the next level -- to get any higher levels you will have to earn it with the standard requirements.
Thanks for the reply! MSing is a thing, but the whole elite status game (airline/hotel) is another...
Old May 28, 2017, 12:09 am

When requesting an upgrade on a domestic flight, does it matter if you use RPU or GPU's? (I know it is terrible value, but I wont be flying much past the summer)
Old May 28, 2017, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Patrick Zhang
When requesting an upgrade on a domestic flight, does it matter if you use RPU or GPU's? (I know it is terrible value, but I wont be flying much past the summer)
There's no difference in terms of their priority, so there's no advantage to using a GPU on any RPU-eligible flight if you have RPUs available.

If you re-qualify for 1K, you may be able to get 2 of your expiring GPUs extended to April 30. There haven't been any extension programs for RPUs. (This isn't an official published benefit, but it's been offered regularly).
Old May 28, 2017, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
There's no difference in terms of their priority, so there's no advantage to using a GPU on any RPU-eligible flight if you have RPUs available.

If you re-qualify for 1K, you may be able to get 2 of your expiring GPUs extended to April 30. There haven't been any extension programs for RPUs. (This isn't an official published benefit, but it's been offered regularly).
Thanks for the info, might look into the extension.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Patrick Zhang
Thanks for the info, might look into the extension.
No problem. There will be a thread here come fall. I believe the extensions are typically offered starting around December 1 or thereabouts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.