Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jan 5, 17, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jun 8, 17, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Domestic Stopover / Layover Rules

Hi all,

I'm planning a round trip for work, SFO-GRR, in early July, and I'd like to know if I can squeeze in a few days in Chicago as part of my layover.

Most routes to GRR from SFO have a layover at ORD. My current round trip itinerary would look like this:

July 10, 2017: SFO-ORD-GRR
July 11, 2017: GRR-ORD-SFO

Is it possible to book the following without booking three one-ways?

July 7, 2017: SFO-ORD
July 10, 2017: ORD-GRR
July 11,2017: GRR-ORD-SFO

Because the flights to GRR are for a business trip, I'm trying to see if I can work in some pleasure in Chicago the weekend prior.

Thanks!

Last edited by SFOrunner; Jun 8, 17 at 2:54 pm Reason: Edit for instant email notifications.
Old Jun 8, 17, 4:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LRMErnst View Post
... I'm planning a round trip for work, SFO-GRR, in early July, and I'd like to know if I can squeeze in a few days in Chicago as part of my layover....
This will depend o the specific fare rules. Some fares allow stopovers (stops of greater than 4 hours) -- sometimes free, sometimes an additional $50. However many discount fares don't provide free stopovers.

You can try to book online as Multi-City or work with a UA phone or your organization's TA (if there is one).

Another, more risky option is to do a SDC change upon arriving at ORD to a "later" flight. And than maybe another SDC later to get even more time. FOr non-elites there is a fee for this. This will work many times, but no guarantees.
Old Jun 8, 17, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Another option is to simply book SFO-ORD as an RT, and drive over to GRR. (3 hours).

The flight would've only been an hour, but considering connection times, you might break out even (and from what I see, the ORD flight is $250ish, and GRR $400 ish).
Old Jun 9, 17, 9:35 pm

Hi All,
Question on connecting in Sydney. I just booked an award flight from LAX - AKL with a stop in SYD. The LAX- SYD is on UA metal and the SYD - AKL is on Air New Zealand. Currently I have a 3 hour layover in SYD booked, however I am wondering if that is enough time? I have never flown through SYD, and I am wondering if I should change the SYD - AKL to a later connection as there are multiple flights from SYD- AKL that depart at later intervals. Appreciate any advice.

Current Flights:
Lax - SYD UA839 on 3/7
SYD - AKL NZ104 3/9

-Pdxflyer12
Old Jun 9, 17, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.032MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by pdxflyer12 View Post
Currently I have a 3 hour layover in SYD booked, however I am wondering if that is enough time?
3 hours is more than enough time.
Old Jun 10, 17, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
3 hours is more than enough time.
Indeed. On the other hand, leaving on the last flight of the day SYD-AKL is an excellent way to spend a day in SYD
Old Jun 11, 17, 9:48 am

Quick Question:

Im a Silver and my Mother is a general member. We went on the upgrade standby list on the way there, and both cleared, due to the time and the route.

On the way back, the plane is also empty, so I want to put her on the upgrade list, but we are on separate reservations. I know that you can call the Premier Desk to put split reservation companions in Economy Plus (which I have done in the past) but how would I go about putting her on the Upgrade List? Thanks.
Old Jun 11, 17, 11:07 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, MileagePlus Silver, Executive National
Originally Posted by NikoGoutakolis View Post
Quick Question:

Im a Silver and my Mother is a general member. We went on the upgrade standby list on the way there, and both cleared, due to the time and the route.

On the way back, the plane is also empty, so I want to put her on the upgrade list, but we are on separate reservations. I know that you can call the Premier Desk to put split reservation companions in Economy Plus (which I have done in the past) but how would I go about putting her on the Upgrade List? Thanks.
My guess is calling the Premier Desk is likely the only way to get added. Not sure if it is actually possible, but I would probably do so at least at check-in so you can at minimum get E+ seats for both
Old Jun 11, 17, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
but how would I go about putting her on the Upgrade List? Thanks.
Originally Posted by homanga View Post
My guess is calling the Premier Desk is likely the only way to get added. Not sure if it is actually possible, but I would probably do so at least at check-in so you can at minimum get E+ seats for both
From reading this forum it is my understanding the only way to get a companion on u/g list is at the gate - and that would be at gate agent's discretion.

I would get to gate ASAP and ask very nicely, as I don't believe it's actually a published benefit with separate reservations.

But of course someone with more experience may have a different experience as I always travel alone..
Old Jun 11, 17, 2:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... On the way back, the plane is also empty, so I want to put her on the upgrade list, but we are on separate reservations. I know that you can call the Premier Desk to put split reservation companions in Economy Plus (which I have done in the past) but how would I go about putting her on the Upgrade List? Thanks.
Generally off PNR companion can only be added at gate / airport. There is presently no clear statement of this benefit / process so it is a bit YMMV.

More discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eeds-stop.html
Old Jun 11, 17, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
From reading this forum it is my understanding the only way to get a companion on u/g list is at the gate - and that would be at gate agent's discretion.
The check-in counter should also be able to help. Also check to see if she ends up on the list automatically; auto-split PNRs do a decent job of retaining their "status history".
Old Jun 11, 17, 3:07 pm

Hi everyone...

I have a quick question. My father is an Etihad Silver Member+head of the family, and he booked my ticket through his account, and in my name (obviously). I'm a minor and traveling alone, so would I have any chances of getting an upgrade? Thanks!
Old Jun 11, 17, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by findark View Post
The check-in counter should also be able to help. Also check to see if she ends up on the list automatically; auto-split PNRs do a decent job of retaining their "status history".
Thanks everyone, Findark was right, her Premier Access and Upgrade Status was retained from when is split on the outbound, and even better, we both already cleared!

Thanks again for all the insight, folks!
Old Jun 11, 17, 11:04 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by Sreeja Pavuluri View Post
Hi everyone...

I have a quick question. My father is an Etihad Silver Member+head of the family, and he booked my ticket through his account, and in my name (obviously). I'm a minor and traveling alone, so would I have any chances of getting an upgrade? Thanks!
Sreeja Pavukuri, welcome to FlyerTalk? Are you asking about a ticket to travel on United Airlines or Etihad? And is this an International trip or one only in the U.S.?

Generally, an upgrade on any International trip on United Airlines requires use of enough miles for the upgrade or for an upgraded class ticket or the use of United upgrades or select upgrade certificates only available to highest elite status.
Old Jun 12, 17, 12:26 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Thanks everyone, Findark was right, her Premier Access and Upgrade Status was retained from when is split on the outbound, and even better, we both already cleared!

Thanks again for all the insight, folks!
Silver that cleared upgrades -- you won the UA lottery, congrats!

Search this Thread