Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2017, 8:14 am

I have just been status matched to United Gold. However before this I put a different frequent flyer number into the booking. I now can't seem to change this to the United Frequent Flyer Number. Is this because you can't change the program? I'd appreciate any advice.
Old May 17, 2017, 9:37 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Tracy100
I have just been status matched to United Gold. However before this I put a different frequent flyer number into the booking. I now can't seem to change this to the United Frequent Flyer Number. Is this because you can't change the program? I'd appreciate any advice.
It might be related to this where iirc, only a phone agent or an airport agent can change the ff number

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ly-2015-a.html
Old May 17, 2017, 10:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, DaTaco
Originally Posted by DaTaco
... The only way I can tell, is the Buying option list Polaris First Class, while the waitlist lists Polaris Business Class. Is that normally how it works? ...
Sometimes, yes (but most 3 class aircraft will probably be gone by end of 2018 or so -- so this anomaly will eventually be gone)

... is there any reason to go ahead and get wait listed for the upgrade, as my understanding is the order that they clear are in their tiers would put me pretty much last right, or does the upgrade waitlist clear anytime before that flight (since we are still 60 days before the flight?) ...
While the latter is possible, the former is more common.

... any idea to tell what my odds are on getting upgraded? It seems like they are fairly slim right? So it makes sense for me to go ahead and get the "Economy Plus" upgrade for 120ish bucks right, even though I won't get that money back if I get upgraded to first?
Getting the E+ would be a good backup -- it will be refunded if the upgrade clears.

As for the chance of clearing, too many variables to try to predict, but you are correct, but without status, you will be a the bottom of the waitlist.
Old May 17, 2017, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I've booked a flight from IAD to MUC (Dulles to Munich) on United on July 19th and was offered to upgrade to "buy" first class (for 2k), or waitlist to business class (I think it's business class?) for $550 and 20k miles.

The only way I can tell, is the Buying option list Polaris First Class, while the waitlist lists Polaris Business Class. Is that normally how it works?
It's somewhat uncommon but yes, you can be offered an upsell directly into 3-cabin First from Economy.

So my question is kind of two fold, is there any reason to go ahead and get wait listed for the upgrade, as my understanding is the order that they clear are in their tiers would put me pretty much last right, or does the upgrade waitlist clear anytime before that flight (since we are still 60 days before the flight?)
If you don't need your miles and cash in the meantime, there's no risk in listing for the upgrade. They will clear upgrades at various points from now to departure, but you're right that as a non-status member you will be at the very bottom of the list, and your chances are likely poor.

The cash upgrade would have confirmed immediately, but only you can say if it would have been worth it.

My secondary question, any idea to tell what my odds are on getting upgraded? It seems like they are fairly slim right? So it makes sense for me to go ahead and get the "Economy Plus" upgrade for 120ish bucks right, even though I won't get that money back if I get upgraded to first?
As WineCountryUA noted, your E+ fee will be refunded if you are upgraded, so you don't need to factor an upgrade into your decision to pay for E+.
Old May 17, 2017, 2:25 pm

Thank you for the welcome WineCountry and findank! I appreciate the quick response and the knowledge!

I'll go ahead and book the E+ seat. I didn't find the information about Economy Plus being refunded so that's great to know.

I'm not holding my breath with the idea that I will upgraded, but I figured I'd give it a try.

Looking back on it, I should have just booked the upgraded flight, as I had the miles to do it, just didn't know enough about the whole process yet (learned about searching for R category flights) There's a lot to learn here.

Just to clarify something, as I've gone ahead and wait listed myself for the upgrade, did you say the miles should be subtracted from my account in the mean time? It doesn't appear to be the case for me, or does it only happen if it processes?
Old May 17, 2017, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... Just to clarify something, as I've gone ahead and wait listed myself for the upgrade, did you say the miles should be subtracted from my account in the mean time? It doesn't appear to be the case for me, or does it only happen if it processes?
Usually the miles and copay are taken in advance, but not always. If not done in advance, it will be done if it clears.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...g-upgrade.html
Old May 17, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
How long does it usually take for flights on AC metal (016 stock) to post?
Old May 17, 2017, 10:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
How long does it usually take for flights on AC metal (016 stock) to post?
3-4 days
Old May 18, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
If you fly into IAD on a Polaris First award ticket, can you access the GF lounge there after you clear customs and immigrations?
Old May 18, 2017, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
If you fly into IAD on a Polaris First award ticket, can you access the GF lounge there after you clear customs and immigrations?
Yes, assuming you get airside again.

Customers in United Polaris first class may access a United Global First Lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airports along their eligible same-day routing.
Old May 20, 2017, 6:41 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Can I change the date of leg 2 or leg 3 on a multi-city award after flying the first leg?

The change fees that apply are based on the legs' departure date, or automatically the more expensive fee applies since travel already commenced?
Old May 20, 2017, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by caGALINDO
Can I change the date of leg 2 or leg 3 on a multi-city award after flying the first leg?

The change fees that apply are based on the legs' departure date, or automatically the more expensive fee applies since travel already commenced?
Yes, you can make that change.

Good question on the fees. If you're more than 21 days out, I would argue for the lower fee.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: United Gold
Google flights doesn't show me PQD/PQM/PQS information anymore. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?
Old May 21, 2017, 1:08 pm

Look at a US-EUR fare rules and seems somewhat contradictory:

Category 16: Penalties
NOTE -
--
HALF ROUNDTRIP FARE COMBINATION OF
NON-REFUNDABLE / REFUNDABLE WITH A CANCELLATION
PENALTY / FULLY REFUNDABLE
- THE MOST RESTRICTIVE CANCELLATION PENALTY
RULE APPLIES TO THE ENTIRE PRICING UNIT-
--
CANCELLATIONS
BEFORE DEPARTURE
CHARGE USD 500.00 FOR CANCEL/NO-SHOW/REFUND.
WAIVED FOR SCHEDULE CHANGE.
AFTER DEPARTURE
TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.
CHANGES
ANY TIME
CHARGE USD 450.00.

Category 18: Endorsements
THE ORIGINAL TICKET MUST BE ANNOTATED - NONREF/CXL FEE/CHG
FEE - IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX.

This is the second cheapest fare on the route, and the cheapest doesn't have a refund fee section. At the same time, why the NONREF endorsement? So confused whether this is actually refundable.

Last edited by okrogius; May 21, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Old May 21, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Good friend is flying EWR to BCN tomorrow. got his BPs tonight and they say "Priority Boarding" plus TSA PRE...he asked me what that means and I had no clue. He does have the Chase/UA Explorer card so he is BG 2. Any ideas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.