Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old Jan 5, 17, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and weve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just cant find it or arent sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Old May 26, 17, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K (ex-GS), Marriott Titanium (lifetime Plat), Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yeeeeperdiems View Post
Hmm that's actually not as terrible as I thought it would be. So it sounds like the key is to have my UA# on the reservation until I've checked the bags in and holding onto the boarding pass with UA# on?
Would it made a difference if I check in at home first, then check my bags in at the airport, THEN switch my FF#?

Also, what happens if I get issued a new boarding pass? Could I still use the old one with UA#? Curious because I thought the kiosk would print out new BPs no matter what..
The most important thing is that you change the FF# after your bags are checked.

If you are issued a new boarding pass then the gate scanner will beep at you if you try to board in the premier access group. You can try to show the GA your old United BP and get through anyway, but it might not work.
Old May 26, 17, 12:20 pm

How can I update my already-purchased tickets to show my new UA premier status?

The boarding pass for reservations booked when I was GM didn't show boarding group 2 when I became Silver.

Similarly, boarding passes booked as a Gold but flown as a Plat didn't show boarding group 1.

In the past I've been able to call in and have the premier desk manually update this but it usually takes them 20-30 minutes to explain my issue, have them research the solution and then fix each ticket.

I will become 1k tomorrow (when latest trip posts) and want to make sure I'll have the correct CPU order. In the past, I've tried regenerating the ticket myself using the Manage Reservations -> Email Receipt trick, but that didn't update my premier status.

How can I update my already-purchased tickets to show my new UA premier status? Can I do it myself? Or if I have to call in, is there a better way to explain what I want to the agent so it doesn't take so long to resolve?
Old May 26, 17, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by getagb View Post
The boarding pass for reservations booked when I was GM didn't show boarding group 2 when I became Silver.

Similarly, boarding passes booked as a Gold but flown as a Plat didn't show boarding group 1.

In the past I've been able to call in and have the premier desk manually update this but it usually takes them 20-30 minutes to explain my issue, have them research the solution and then fix each ticket.

I will become 1k tomorrow (when latest trip posts) and want to make sure I'll have the correct CPU order. In the past, I've tried regenerating the ticket myself using the Manage Reservations -> Email Receipt trick, but that didn't update my premier status.

How can I update my already-purchased tickets to show my new UA premier status? Can I do it myself? Or if I have to call in, is there a better way to explain what I want to the agent so it doesn't take so long to resolve?
I believe Manage Reservations -> Email Receipt sometimes shows you the original receipt at time of ticketing; however, if you click through 'Manage Reservations -> View Receipt', it should show the receipt with current status / seat assignments reflected at the top.

If, when doing that, you see outdated information, I suppose the only option is calling.

edit: Actually after trying out a few things myself, it seems possible that sometimes the first click of 'View Receipt' does not show the most recent information. You may want to try multiple times, which may be the actual issue (and not the email/view dichotomy I suspected above).
Old May 26, 17, 3:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Similarly, boarding passes booked as a Gold but flown as a Plat didn't show boarding group 1. ...
Is this recent? Most recent reports this is sorted out proper at checkin. If status changes after check, you need to un-checkin and re-checkin.

... I will become 1k tomorrow (when latest trip posts) and want to make sure I'll have the correct CPU order. ...
Again this has been reports as being done automatically. However, if now, have an agent remove your FF number and then reapply -- you can not do this online.
Old May 26, 17, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by justsawaufo View Post
I booked PHX-DEN-IAD purchased P fare
I got to the airport a little earlier and took an earlier flight PHX-DEN via Standby a few hours earlier than my original flight, the only open seat was with in Y, so I took it.

PHX-DEN show up in my statement as V fare for some reason, am I not entitled to the fare I originally paid for if I took an earlier flight via standby?
anyone?
Old May 26, 17, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by justsawaufo View Post
I booked PHX-DEN-IAD purchased P fare
I got to the airport a little earlier and took an earlier flight PHX-DEN via Standby a few hours earlier than my original flight, the only open seat was with in Y, so I took it.

PHX-DEN show up in my statement as V fare for some reason, am I not entitled to the fare I originally paid for if I took an earlier flight via standby?
Because the re-route was voluntary, I expect that UA will say that you are not eligible for ORC. You can always call and request it.

I don't have a good answer as to how you got rebooked in V class. My leading guess would be that your standby cleared into positive space, and V happened to be the lowest open fare class at the time [nb. to other commenters - this is not a differential fare issue, as V/UP has a Z booking code].
Old May 26, 17, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Is this recent? Most recent reports this is sorted out proper at checkin. If status changes after check, you need to un-checkin and re-checkin.

Again this has been reports as being done automatically. However, if now, have an agent remove your FF number and then reapply -- you can not do this online.
Pretty recent. I made plat about 3 weeks ago and it happened (wasn't resolved at checkin). I'll try the FF number trick and let you know how it goes. Thanks for that.
Old May 27, 17, 3:10 am

Hi,

I have a domestic flight got a saver award, my question is if a saver award opens for an earlier flight in the coming weeks can I get changed to that flight and if so would I have to pay a chance fee if route and date is the same?
Old May 27, 17, 3:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kyamato View Post
... I have a domestic flight got a saver award, my question is if a saver award opens for an earlier flight in the coming weeks can I get changed to that flight and if so would I have to pay a chance fee if route and date is the same?
Yes, there will be a fee based on your status and if less than or more than 60 days before travel and when the ticket was originally booked. See Award ticketing options/service fees
Old May 27, 17, 8:55 am

Programs: UA MM
OK I'm seeing basic economy now on some flights I need to book. So it's time to clear up my confusion please.

I'm gold. If I book basic economy do I get to choose seats, and if so do I get my E+ seat choices? Or do those go away even with gold status? I *think* I still get carry one rights and BG2? But not sure of that either.

I'll pay the $20 each way to get seats but I don't want to go through the whole process of booking a ghost itin just to test if possible. Thank you and have a good weekend!
Old May 27, 17, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer View Post
I'm gold. If I book basic economy do I get to choose seats, and if so do I get my E+ seat choices? Or do those go away even with gold status? I *think* I still get carry one rights and BG2? But not sure of that either.
There are no seat assignments on BE; BE tickets are not entitled to E+ seats or CPUs (which are rare as Gold anyway). There are also no changes, including SDC. BE tickets also will not count toward re-qualification for status (no PQMs or PQDs).

You do keep BG2 and the ability to bring a carry-on.
Old May 27, 17, 11:55 am

Programs: UA MM
thanks!

Oh, and CPUs, I vaguely remember those from back in the day
Old May 27, 17, 12:14 pm

Programs: United/Star Alliance
Thanks in advance!

What happens to your PQM and PQD when you go from Silver to Gold? Do you "spend" your PQM and PQD to move up? If so, can I bypass Gold and use my PQM/PQD for Platinum or P1K? I'll reach that level if I don't have to start from zero.

I went from member to silver in Jan after a weird mileage mix up so I didn't gain any knowlege when I wen up in status. It almost seemed like my counts were reset due to year change or maybe I had to spend the PQM/PQD to become silver.

Thanks!
Old May 27, 17, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oversizedtraveler View Post
Thanks in advance!

What happens to your PQM and PQD when you go from Silver to Gold? Do you "spend" your PQM and PQD to move up? If so, can I bypass Gold and use my PQM/PQD for Platinum or P1K? I'll reach that level if I don't have to start from zero.

I went from member to silver in Jan after a weird mileage mix up so I didn't gain any knowlege when I wen up in status. It almost seemed like my counts were reset due to year change or maybe I had to spend the PQM/PQD to become silver.

Thanks!
PQM and PQD will continue to increase as you fly for the calendar year then they go to 0 on the transition from Dec 31 to Jan 1. As they icrease when you meet the criteria for the next status level you get the status. You don't "spend" PQM or PQD.
Old May 27, 17, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post

For this recent flight emailing the receipt switched my status to 1k. Then I was able to instant upgrade and select seat 1k 😀

Search this Thread