Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
169/170 to/from VCE is chronically late, up until last year I was on it frequently. I chalk it up to VCE ops, either very conservative or playing games. It sticks out as a poor performer in the INTL IPs.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
UA871 SFO-TPE scheduled to depart 2:05 pm and arrive 6:30 pm. Actual departure 6:23 pm and estimated arrival 10:18 pm - i.e. 3 h 48 m late.

Hopefully no one is planning a transfer at TPE Tuesday evening.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Imstevek
169/170 to/from VCE is chronically late, up until last year I was on it frequently. I chalk it up to VCE ops, either very conservative or playing games. It sticks out as a poor performer in the INTL IPs.
Do they CHOOSE this route to cancel/delay because of European or Italian regulations or lack thereof?

I'm saying this because some insider told me that the government of Singapore is not happy about SFO-SIN having mechanical too often (and of course a long haul is more easily canceled than NRT/HKG-SIN just because of various technical reasons). In order not to get too much legal attention, UA will prefer to rob the plane from SYD in order to operate SIN.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
UA 170 yet again..went from on time around 6:15pm to now delayed until 9:05pm for "operational difficulties" I see they changed the aircraft but I always wonder what is going on. Maybe with 3 delays in the last 4 days I will get lucky on Sunday....I hope.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by gene2632
but at 6:15pm they were showing it was going to be much later than that...I would not be complaining about a few minutes. My real complaint is the way the post reasons that don't really fit the situation. Honesty is really the best policy when dealing with the public, especially in stressful situations.
But that's just it. They always are being honest to a point. It's just that each code can't tell the whole story, and some people think they know better and automatically think they're being lied to. It's not a grand conspiracy. Every time I've researched a delay, the reason listed is explainable, but it doesn't always tell the whole story.

Originally Posted by Imstevek
Maybe it used to be chronically late, but it's not anymore. Lately most are official ontime departures, and when it is delayed, it's usually short. Tonight is the first time it will be delayed more than about an hour all month.

Originally Posted by gene2632
UA 170 yet again..went from on time around 6:15pm to now delayed until 9:05pm for "operational difficulties" I see they changed the aircraft but I always wonder what is going on. Maybe with 3 delays in the last 4 days I will get lucky on Sunday....I hope.
Not "yet again". First delay more than about an hour all month, and this is a difficult circumstance. Not sure where you're getting your data from, but even including tonight it's had an ontime departure (<15 minutes) 2 of the last 4 and 15 of the last 23 (with one missing by 2 minutes and most being minor delays). August has been a good month for it. Don't go worrying all day about it.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by minnyfly

Not "yet again". First delay more than about an hour all month, and this is a difficult circumstance. Not sure where you're getting your data from, but even including tonight it's had an ontime departure (<15 minutes) 2 of the last 4 and 15 of the last 23 (with one missing by 2 minutes and most being minor delays). August has been a good month for it. Don't go worrying all day about it.
"First delay more than an hour all month" .... what about 170 two days ago ... arrived over an hour late? I guess that one doesn't count?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by Hammer0425
"First delay more than an hour all month" .... what about 170 two days ago ... arrived over an hour late? I guess that one doesn't count?
Did you miss the "more than about an hour late" part? Two days ago it departed 0:46 late and arrived 1:01 late (isn't that close enough to one hour anyway?). The even longer arrival delay appearing to be caused by even longer than normal taxi times (EWR for you) and not as favorable winds aloft. Prior to today that was in a virtual tie for the longest arrival delay for the month of August. That's not bad. Not bad at all.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
bottom line, EWR-VCE is chronically late, and if you're counting on being there on time, find another way. I ended up doing BOS-DUB-VCE on EI, much more reliable and schedule friendly.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Maybe, just maybe I have heard too many lies in the past 30 years from CO/UA so that I am conditioned to not believe much of what they say anymore. I guess I tired of people peeing on my foot and telling me it is raining. The good news is we are in J and will have lounge access if we have to wait yet again.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
arrived in FRA this morning (on LH F ) ... unusual mess at the UA gates and not surprisingly

UA59 FRA-SFO 744 cancelled due to aircraft maintenance
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
UA 862 02Sep HKG-SFO, 77W:

Original flight plan on the app had arrival into SFO 30 minutes early. But the captain saw that the flight plan went through a large area of severe turbulence as reported by PIREPs. She elected to file a new flight plan, that goes well south -- essentially over the Hawaiian islands. It added ninety minutes to the flight, which was additionally delayed by having to take on more fuel and calculate weights/balance. Arrival at SFO will be close to two hours late.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:23 am

UA80 MAN-EWR Sep 2 canceled mechanical.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by wxguy
UA 862 02Sep HKG-SFO, 77W:

Original flight plan on the app had arrival into SFO 30 minutes early. But the captain saw that the flight plan went through a large area of severe turbulence as reported by PIREPs. She elected to file a new flight plan, that goes well south -- essentially over the Hawaiian islands. It added ninety minutes to the flight, which was additionally delayed by having to take on more fuel and calculate weights/balance. Arrival at SFO will be close to two hours late.
^ Want to fly on flights with that captain and I am assuming she explained it to the passengers who, although I am sure were disappointed with the late arrival, should be very thankful for a captain who is concerned with the welfare of her passengers. Too many stories of people getting hurt in turbulences that saving one person from injury would be worth the delay in my view.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

still severe operational issues ... that'll take some time for UA to get on their feet. Kind of amazing

UA129 IAH-GIG 789 cancelled due to operational difficulties
UA49 IAH-FRA 772 cancelled due to operational difficulties
UA880 IAH-LHR 772 cancelled due to operational difficulties

the respective Sunday return flights are also cancelled
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

UA108 EWR-EDI took off at 1.54 a.m. yuck! > 3 hrs late due to operational difficulties

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.