Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Delayed/Cancelled" International Flights (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
Yesterday UA 907 ORD FRA - Left 2:45 late/ arrived 2:15 late. Rolling delays after aircraft arrived a few minutes late. Mechanical according to the pilot.
I'm on this flight today. Here's hoping yesterday got the bad karma out of the way.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UA959 LHR-ORD 763 2hrs late due to aircraft maintenance
Old Aug 27, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
UA 293 on Aug. 27, EWR-YVR is posted for a 49 minute delay today. Inbound aircraft is showing over 1 hour late for arrival. We'll see if the EWR ramp and gate crew can turn the aircraft in less than one hour.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Multiple diversions today 8/27 into IAH due to hurricane, incl:
UA # 6 orig NRT, diverted to SFO
UA # 21 orig AMS, diverted to IAD
UA # 160 orig MUC, diverted to ORD
UA # 879 orig LHR, diverted to EWR
Old Aug 27, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Looks like operations at IAH are suspended through Monday with the following already posted due to Harvey
UA 7 to NRT
UA 880 and 5 to LHR
UA 46 to FRA
UA 102 to MUC
UA 129 to GIG
UA 105 to GRU
UA 20 to AMS
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
And UA 819 to EZE
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
UA 2 SIN-SFO August 29th Cancelled

UA 2 SIN-SFO August 29th Cancelled due to the fact that UA 1 SFO-SIN on August 28th went Mechanical..
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
I am booked on UA 170, EWR to VCE on Sunday so I have been paying attention to their on time performance the past week just to get a feel for how they are doing since we hope to meet friends in Venice for a trip to Murano. Most days they are a little late. Yesterday they were an hour and 15 minutes late leaving "due to delayed inbound aircraft". The inbound was coming from LHR and arrived two minutes late, 5+ hours before 170 was due out. Today it is 25 minutes late "due to severe weather in our system". Ummmm, the severe weather is in Houston and along the gulf coast and there is a bit off of South Carolina. I live 40 miles south of EWR. The sky is blue, a few light clouds and light winds. so why is the weather a factor?? Come on UA, lets be honest about why you are late all too often.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
It still seems that the real "weather" issues with United is whether they want to or are able get the flights off. Recycled comment from last year but sure looks like UA still hasn't got a handle on their ongoing issues.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gene2632
I am booked on UA 170, EWR to VCE on Sunday so I have been paying attention to their on time performance the past week just to get a feel for how they are doing since we hope to meet friends in Venice for a trip to Murano. Most days they are a little late. Yesterday they were an hour and 15 minutes late leaving "due to delayed inbound aircraft". The inbound was coming from LHR and arrived two minutes late, 5+ hours before 170 was due out. Today it is 25 minutes late "due to severe weather in our system". Ummmm, the severe weather is in Houston and along the gulf coast and there is a bit off of South Carolina. I live 40 miles south of EWR. The sky is blue, a few light clouds and light winds. so why is the weather a factor?? Come on UA, lets be honest about why you are late all too often.
the VCE flight often cancels due to maintenance. Good luck to you.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
I was just checking the status of ORD-BRU (UA972), and the status information had a line item that I haven't seen before:

0972/28AUG
F ORD/ETD 605P L00.10 WEATHER
F BRU/ETA 913A L00.08
D FCF/*ORD PPBM CHANNEL 2*

SKED ORD ORIG 555P GTD B16 SHIP 2704
BRU 905A TERM 1 GTA
Does anyone know what they are referencing?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
It helps to expand your view outside of your local area. This complaint is brought up frequently, and almost always UA has the right reason listed when you research the problem. By my count, UA has multiple 2-class 763s (used by flight 170) stranded because of Harvey. Also IAH is a 767 pilot base, so who knows how many crews are affected by it. I don't know UA operations that well, but I would also imagine some 767 maintenance would normally be performed at IAH. Since planes are not rotating through IAH, the whole system is out of wack. If the crew for today's 170 crew is delayed because of weather, a very possible reason, it's the right distinction. Or if the plane that would have been used for 170 is stuck in IAH, it's a fair reason as well.

I've also seen the most recent reason for a delay posted when there's multiple reasons. Yesterday's delay could have been coded that way. The root cause may not technically be because the inbound flight was late, but it could be because of a lack of aircraft didn't leave enough time for the LHR plane to turn for VCE. With IAH down, there may not be the maintenance and fleet slack. And since the LHR flight did arrive a bit late, it technically did extend the delay and may have been the last delay reason. My guess is that the primary reason was weather, but who knows.

But no matter what the reasons are, if you notice the flight has been getting out very well lately. Most flights are getting out within the official on-time window of <15 minutes, and I only see one cancellation since at least May.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:08 pm

I realize that the there is often a need to look beyond my local area but I have tracked this flight, and our return from BCN for a while now. All of the aircraft seem to be doing loops from EWR or IAD to Europe/LHR and back. I guess I have just seen too many delays that were avoidable over the years, heard too many stories from too many GAs too. As far as a cancel, our cruise leaves on Sept 7 so I factored a cancelation into my planning.... Ok, enough venting. I know to expect the worst now but every now and then we do get a nice treat. Left LAS a few weeks ago early, arrived very early, baggage was up quickly, driver was right there and we were home about 15 minutes after our scheduled arrival time.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today's flight departed 8 minutes late and is estimated to arrive 3 minutes late.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:17 pm

but at 6:15pm they were showing it was going to be much later than that...I would not be complaining about a few minutes. My real complaint is the way the post reasons that don't really fit the situation. Honesty is really the best policy when dealing with the public, especially in stressful situations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.