Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2021, 3:25 pm

(in case someone searches this thread in the future, I figured that I would leave the following info here)

sat in 31A(second row in Economy Plus)... didn't realize that, instead of the usual 2 windows for economy seat rows, it only had one window.(next to my head) not really a problem on my flight, since rows 31, 32, 33, 35, 36 were completely empty... so I moved around throughout the flight.
BeeTran likes this.

Last edited by HibernateNow; Nov 30, 2021 at 4:48 pm
Old Nov 30, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Sat in 16A last week. Absolutely hated it. Not only do I not prefer the angled seat - but no window whatsoever. I generally keep my window shade down during flight - but do prefer it up for takeoff/landing.

Alternatively, I got the last upgrade SFO-HNL so definitely a first world problem.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Sat in 16A last week. Absolutely hated it. Not only do I not prefer the angled seat - but no window whatsoever. I generally keep my window shade down during flight - but do prefer it up for takeoff/landing.

Alternatively, I got the last upgrade SFO-HNL so definitely a first world problem.
I was once #73 on the upgrade list.... but I kept my delusional hopes up! 1 in 73 is still millions times better than the odds of winning the next Powerball.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:54 am

I haven't had the need to this about this in years.... well.. now I'm faced with possibility of spending 14 hours in a middle E+ seat of the 777-300ER. (middle of the 4-seat row) There are no aisle/window/exit seats remaining.

So.... how bad can it be? (6-foot-4, 213 pounds, before breakfast this morning) No need to sugarcoats it... just tell me how bad... I'm fine with using miles+copay to upgrade, but the chances do not look good.

Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2021, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HibernateNow
I haven't had the need to this about this in years.... well.. now I'm faced with possibility of spending 14 hours in a middle E+ seat of the 777-300ER. (middle of the 4-seat row) There are no aisle/window/exit seats remaining.

So.... how bad can it be? (6-foot-4, 213 pounds, before breakfast this morning) No need to sugarcoats it... just tell me how bad... I'm fine with using miles+copay to upgrade, but the chances do not look good.

Thanks!
How wide are your shoulders? Based on your height I assume wider than 19", which means you'll be getting rather intimate with your seatmates. It is not possible to avoid touching. At minimum, I advise checking the seat map daily.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by fumje
How wide are your shoulders? Based on your height I assume wider than 19", which means you'll be getting rather intimate with your seatmates. It is not possible to avoid touching. At minimum, I advise checking the seat map daily.
Now that I think about it, I feel bad for the people who have to sit on my left and right. I've been a big guy all my life, so I'm used to it.... smaller people sitting next to me may or may not feel more uncomfortable than me.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver

Thanks!
When's your flight? There's always seats blocked in Y that open up at T-24 or so — on the 77W it looks like it's 30DE, 48KL and 49 ABCDE so you could snag those if you check in right at the 24 hour mark. Alternatively keep checking the seatmap — if elites are getting upgraded their seats should open up too
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: United
Best 777-300, row, 20, 21 or 22

Good evening all.

First off, apologies if this question is in the wrong forum. I have to admit I get a little overwhelmed trying to figure out where I really want to post. Second off, as always, I thank all of you for your help. This is a great forum.

i’m going to fly SFO-EWR in Premium Economy for the first time (777-300) and was hoping to hear experiences sitting in either row 20, 21 or 22 in the two-across aisle seats.

I have read some of the comments on SeatGuru and there really is no good conclusion. Has anyone sat in the seats and could offer advice?

Thanks,
Hank
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hankschu
i’m going to fly SFO-EWR in Premium Economy for the first time (777-300) and was hoping to hear experiences sitting in either row 20, 21 or 22 in the two-across aisle seats....
Premium Plus only varies between aircraft based on the number of center seats 2, 3 or 4 otherwise the comments are similar, a general discussion of PremiumPlus is available in Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

The difference of 21 vs 22 is insignificant. Due to their footrest, underseat storage is limited.
Row 20 is a bulkhead and has a different type of footrest and IFE is a swing up arm that narrows the seat a bit.

I like the bulkhead, reasonable amount of leg space but others prefer the Row 21,22
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: United
Thank you. That is good information. I am in Row 21 at the moment because it seems if 20 reclines it’s tough for the window person in 21 to get out. Then again, she is with me and I could easily get up. I appreciate your help.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
IIRC the PE bulkhead row on the 77W has the most legroom of all PE bulkhead rows in the fleet (not by much, but a fairly noticeable difference--maybe a foot?).
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by hankschu
Good evening all…
…I have read some of the comments on SeatGuru and there really is no good conclusion. Has anyone sat in the seats and could offer advice?

Thanks,
Hank
I would take row 20 by an absolute long shot.

here are some pictures I took of the PE seats on some of my flights to Mumbai and back from pre COVID:

UA48 Seat 20L

UA49 Seat 21L

I’ll let you decide from here which you’d prefer but I think 20 is the way to go imo
Old Feb 14, 2022, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Originally Posted by SFO_FT

The row 7 window appears to be at one’s knees.
Haha I appreciate the screenshot haha, but tbh I was fine with the missing window, the amazing view of the GE90 made up for it
Old Feb 19, 2022, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Premium Plus only varies between aircraft based on the number of center seats 2, 3 or 4 otherwise the comments are similar, a general discussion of PremiumPlus is available in Premium Plus (Premium Economy) seats and Experience

The difference of 21 vs 22 is insignificant. Due to their footrest, underseat storage is limited.
Row 20 is a bulkhead and has a different type of footrest and IFE is a swing up arm that narrows the seat a bit.

I like the bulkhead, reasonable amount of leg space but others prefer the Row 21,22
I booked the bulkhead window in Premium Plus..... there was so much legroom that I was able to get in and out without disturbing the lady sitting next to me.

on my return, I will be in Polaris.... the cabin is about half full. for some odd reason, almost all the remaining seats are the straight window seats... including 1L. Just for comparison, I looked at the seat map for the same flight for the entire week... 1L is open on every flight.(while 1A, 9A, 9L are all taken). Is there some reason why nobody is taking 1L or is that just random chance?

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2022, 6:21 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Is there some reason why nobody is taking 1L or is that just random chance?
If I had to guess, I’d just say that with less elites traveling, most customers flying now are simply naive regarding the best seats. I don’t fly on any airline/aircraft without some research (I don’t have to research UA flights/aircraft, but if I’m flying DL or AA or JAL or Emirates, I’m coming to FT or SeatGuru). Even in premium cabins, your occasional flyer is probably just taking what the UA computer pre-assigns or randomly picks seats without much thought.
United747 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.