Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2021, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
7A or 17A?
Old Aug 27, 2021, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would take 17A. 7A is too close to galley. 17 is not a bad set at all.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 4:56 pm

Was thinking that 7A would be more private. And potentially less noisy should a baby be seated in the PP bulkhead.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Was thinking that 7A would be more private. And potentially less noisy should a baby be seated in the PP bulkhead.
7A has no window.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
7A has no window.
Its my understanding that 7A/7L have one window, rather than the usual two to three.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
7A or 17A?
I prefer 17A. It is now my go to seat (or 17F). All the foot traffic is in front of me. It is nice a quiet without the foot traffic during the flight.

I did sit in 7A last month, and can confirm it has a window. Although it is closer to the galley, it did not bother me as I originally anticipated.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Is the window in 7A/L closer to one's head or one's foot? If the latter, it isn't very useful for looking out during takeoff and landing, when the seat has to be upright.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:22 pm

The row 7 window appears to be at one’s knees.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 3:30 pm

Between 9A and 9L which is better? Looking for a wide footwell for a red eye transcon (assuming 9 better than 1).
Old Oct 9, 2021, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by a.tall.guy
Between 9A and 9L which is better? Looking for a wide footwell for a red eye transcon (assuming 9 better than 1).
I personally prefer Row 1 on this AC over 9, due to the lavatories that directly adjoin Row 9 / flush noise and fewer pax passing me during boarding. I shoot for 1A if I can get it.

Between 9A/L the same; slight preference for 9A due to easy access to the large lav and easiest access to deplane.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by greenpau
I personally prefer Row 1 on this AC over 9, due to the lavatories that directly adjoin Row 9 / flush noise and fewer pax passing me during boarding. I shoot for 1A if I can get it.

Between 9A/L the same; slight preference for 9A due to easy access to the large lav and easiest access to deplane.
I also prefer row 1 to row 9
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by greenpau

Scrolling through earlier messages in this thread, seems row 1 has issues with noise/lights that might be a concern on a redeye?
Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Scrolling through earlier messages in this thread, seems row 1 has issues with noise/lights that might be a concern on a redeye?
Both row 1 and row 9 will have similar noise/light issues on a redeye. If those are your main concern, go for rows 3, 5, 11, 15, or 17.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
If you are a light sleeper, certainly. I sat in 5L one time and even from there could hear the crew's chatter and bear in mind this was on a 15 hour flight, people around me kept waking up too and the light quite easily enters the cabin if the curtains aren't set up properly. When I eventually slept, i slept fine, but I'm a deep sleeper so YMMV.
They are the same to me. If 9A and L are both open, I take a quick hop over to sunflight.net and see which side of my plane will have sunrises and sunsets. I'm a huge sunrise/sunset guy so that makes the difference. The only route that I usually fly a 300ER on is about 15 hours outbound/16 hours inbound so I suppose for a transcon it really doesn't make a difference. Though as others have suggested, easier to deplane from 9A.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by flyingrohit
If you are a light sleeper, certainly. I sat in 5L one time and even from there could hear the crew's chatter and bear in mind this was on a 15 hour flight, people around me kept waking up too and the light quite easily enters the cabin if the curtains aren't set up properly. When I eventually slept, i slept fine, but I'm a deep sleeper so YMMV.

They are the same to me. If 9A and L are both open, I take a quick hop over to sunflight.net and see which side of my plane will have sunrises and sunsets. I'm a huge sunrise/sunset guy so that makes the difference. The only route that I usually fly a 300ER on is about 15 hours outbound/16 hours inbound so I suppose for a transcon it really doesn't make a difference. Though as others have suggested, easier to deplane from 9A.
Someone said 9A has more noise than 9L due to the lav door being different. Have you noticed this being a factor at all? I'm not really a light sleeper, but obviously all else being equal would choose the less noisier seat. Considering 1A, 9A, or 9L at this point.

Originally Posted by dkc192
Both row 1 and row 9 will have similar noise/light issues on a redeye. If those are your main concern, go for rows 3, 5, 11, 15, or 17.
Not very concerned, just was wondering if there was a significant difference as the seats are the same. Seems like 1A is the best bet in this case (over 9A & 9L), whether a day or night flight?
flyingrohit likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 11, 2021 at 7:29 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.