Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
The rear section is noticeably noisier because of the engines IME.
I miss row 1 on 747(100/200/SP/400)...
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
the rear section of business section is completely open. nobody has picked a seat there yet with just 2 weeks to go until the flight.

do most people prefer not to sit in the rear section?

if my upgrade somehow clears and the rear section remains relatively open, is it a good idea to pick a seat back there?
Row 15 is my second favorite after row 5. Engine noise is white noise and doesn't bother me (unless we're talking about rear rows on a mad dog or a 319/20 at takeoff).
Old Jan 4, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Row 15 is my second favorite after row 5. Engine noise is white noise and doesn't bother me (unless we're talking about rear rows on a mad dog or a 319/20 at takeoff).
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
The rear section is noticeably noisier because of the engines IME.
On my single flight in 18L, the whole seat was vibrating substantially - not sure if this was the aircraft/engine combo, the starboard engine, or the lack of vibration insulation (if any) on this particular 77w...

Very irritating - besides the noise!
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:13 am

At check-in, I moved from 3A to 9A.

It was totally not worth it. The business cabin was about half full. Yet it felt like that I was the bathroom attendant at a crowded bar. People were constantly going in and coming out of the lavatory. Even worse was the fact that they seemed to prefer to shut the door with a loud bang. This continues through out the flight.

An hour after I fell asleep, another loud lavatory door closing woke me again. I sat up and noticed three passengers standing there chatting.(strangely, about 401k and organic fruits...)

I finally had enough and moved to an empty seat in the center of 17. Finally, some peace and quiet and I slept for another 5 hours. My luck ran out when a crying baby woke me up. They were in PP behind me. The father stood up and walked the baby, which stopped the crying... but when he sat down, the baby started loud crying again. I don't blame the baby, of course... when I was a baby, I must have annoyed plenty of people myself.

Since I was fully awake, I went back to my original 9A seat(where I left all of my stuff). I started reading on my Kindle in the dark. Well... guess what, the lavatory crowed never stopped... one after another. Both men and women. That was when I noticed the other lavatories in business were also occupied., so a couple of people were standing around waiting again. We still had 6 hours of flight time left, according to the screen.

As if the lavatory crowd wasn't annoying enough around 9A... the flight attendants were also hanging around the galley with the light turned on. In fact, I don't think they ever left the galley during the entire 14-hour+ flight.

The reading did the trick and I fell asleep again in a semi-upright position. I kind of curled up with several extra pillows that I stole from other empty seats. I slept like that for another 4 hours or so. Only woke up once by, you guessed it, some slamming the lavatory door close.

Next thing I knew, I thought my grandma was trying to wake me up... I took off my eye mask, put on my glasses and it turned out to be the flight attendant. She wanted to know if I wanted breakfast. Apparently she already served everybody else and skipped over me because I was sleeping. I really appreciated that. I only asked for a black coffee and some fruit.

I will never sit in 9A again. On my return flight, my upgrade hasn't and probably won't clear. But if clears and the only available seat is 9A or 9L, I'll probably ask to cancel it.

(sorry for the long rant)
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Yeah... unfortunately it's hard to get good bulkhead seat advice because your sensitivity to something like the "loo queue" is such a YMMV situation. For me, I probably wouldn't have noticed any of that and hence I have no problems flying in Row 9, but as you experienced, others' sensitivities to noise or light while sleeping may vary.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
At check-in, I moved from 3A to 9A.
Why would you do that?
Originally Posted by findark
Yeah... unfortunately it's hard to get good bulkhead seat advice because your sensitivity to something like the "loo queue" is such a YMMV situation. For me, I probably wouldn't have noticed any of that and hence I have no problems flying in Row 9, but as you experienced, others' sensitivities to noise or light while sleeping may vary.
Yes, there is a fundamental divide on this issue. Having just flown 8D on the sCO 772, I can't understand how anyone would ever recommend that seat. I feel the same about rows 1 and 9 on the 77W, and 1E on the 789.

My basic view is if someone is asking about noise/light from the lav/galley, that is a strong indication they will not be happy in any of those seats. People who are not bothered, won't ask the question.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Why would you do that?

Yes, there is a fundamental divide on this issue. Having just flown 8D on the sCO 772, I can't understand how anyone would ever recommend that seat. I feel the same about rows 1 and 9 on the 77W, and 1E on the 789.

My basic view is if someone is asking about noise/light from the lav/galley, that is a strong indication they will not be happy in any of those seats. People who are not bothered, won't ask the question.
the noise doesn't really bother me that much... there's a giant jet engine just outside my window.

however, I can't stand those people who just hover around my seat and chit-chatting while waiting for the lavatory. somehow the flight attendants even joined in on their conversation. come to think of it, the people standing around 9A could have been UA non-revs because I got the distinct impression that the flight attendants knew them personally. some of there were evening leaning on the bulkhead in front of me.. like I said, I wasn't really sure what the problem was... all of the lavatories in business seemed to be occupied in business class at all times. I also noticed that most people spent well over 5 to 10 minutes inside doing something.

(rant part 2 over)
Old Jan 13, 2020, 6:35 pm

Traveling as a couple in economy. Is it better to do E+, or take 56A/B?

I'm thinking the latter, which are the seats I picked for now, but just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sincx
Traveling as a couple in economy. Is it better to do E+, or take 56A/B?

I'm thinking the latter, which are the seats I picked for now, but just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
If you don't need the leg space 2x seating is good for a couple -- just be prepared for a slow process leaving the plane. And have your own food as the alternative choices will be long gone. Occansiona crowding due to bathroom.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you don't need the leg space 2x seating is good for a couple -- just be prepared for a slow process leaving the plane. And have your own food as the alternative choices will be long gone. Occansiona crowding due to bathroom.
I once sat back there by myself. It was great. However, it was also the only time in my life that a flight attendant told me "Sorry, Mr. ------------, we ran out of food because catering must have not loaded enough" I thought she was kidding. Well, she wasn't. She asked another flight attendant. They were going to give me a crew meal, but a 3rd flight attendant said that it wasn't allowed or something. A couple of minutes later, she brought me a tray of of business class meal. It was the best meal I ever had sitting in the last row of coach. Unfortunately, they did have enough coach meals for breakfast....
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:16 am

Am set to take my first 777-300 flight in Polaris (the daytime UA85 from TLV). I can choose 5L and pretty much any seat behind it. I'm hoping to nap for a few hours and tend to be a light sleeper. Is 5L the safest bet in terms of balancing distance from galley, lavs, and the engines?

I realize 9L may have a little extra space but if I'm 5'8" and lean, would that make much of a difference?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by yonatan
Am set to take my first 777-300 flight in Polaris (the daytime UA85 from TLV). I can choose 5L and pretty much any seat behind it. I'm hoping to nap for a few hours and tend to be a light sleeper. Is 5L the safest bet in terms of balancing distance from galley, lavs, and the engines?
I would take 5L. (Though I don't really care about engine noise, I prefer to be in the front cabin for boarding.)

Originally Posted by yonatan
I realize 9L may have a little extra space but if I'm 5'8" and lean, would that make much of a difference?
Not to me. I don't find the footwells in Polaris confining.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:52 pm

I volunteered to give up my seat. The agent said the compensation was $1200.

they originally started at $600 and there were no takers. the announcement was met with blank stares.. most people didn't even look up.

When it reached $1200, I agreed to it!!!

However, just before she started typing, I asked her to see what types of seats were available on the next day's flight. All middle seats. Nothing in PP or Polaris.

I said "NO THANKS!" and withdrew myself. The lady behind me looked so happy to accept the $1200.

I sat in my original 45A exit row seat.

However, I can't help but wonder if I would have been fine in a middle seat on 777-300ER in exchange for $1200. The flight was 13 and half hours. Well... maybe not. Then again, $1200? That's like being paid $1.50 per minute to sit in middle for 800+ minutes. On a 777-300ER, that would have been like getting stabbed 800 times?

Last edited by Vangrovsky; Jan 19, 2020 at 3:00 pm
Old Jan 19, 2020, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I volunteered to give up my seat. The agent said the compensation was $1200.

they originally started at $600 and there were no takers. the announcement was met with blank stares.. most people didn't even look up.

When it reached $1200, I agreed to it!!!

However, just before she started typing, I asked her to see what types of seats were available on the next day's flight. All middle seats. Nothing in PP or Polaris.

I said "NO THANKS!" and withdrew myself. The lady behind me looked so happy to accept the $1200.

I sat in my original 45A exit row seat.

However, I can't help but wonder if I would have been fine in a middle seat on 777-300ER in exchange for $1200. The flight was 13 and half hours. Well... maybe not. Then again, $1200? That's like being paid $1.50 per minute to sit in middle for 800+ minutes. On a 777-300ER, that would have been like getting stabbed 800 times?
You were sitting in coach and you expected them to give you PP or Polaris on the next day flight?

Or would you have tried to upgrade to PP or Polaris?

What was the flight, a TATL?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I find you should take the compensation and work out the seat later something normally pops up when someone else gets upgraded then a good E+ seat opens up
drewguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.