Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by winklepop
Hi there, my husband and I have booked late so now have limited seat choice. There's lots of advice here on the best seats, but I'd love to know if 4/10/12 D&G seats would be better than 18A&L. Is 4D/G the best choice as it's in the forward cabin (quieter?). Similarly, would 9A &10A be a better choice than 9A & 15L?? Thanks so much in advance. Flights are within the next week 😬
Note that the even D/G pairs are in no way "close" or really suitable for a couple.

If your top priority is being near each other, 9A/10A is going to be the best for that of the options you mentioned. You can also just take the two best seats, regardless of their relative location, which would be 9A and 15L. Some people dislike the galley noise from 9A, but I don't find it oppressive.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:16 am

Hello! Many thanks for replying so promptly - VERY much appreciated. We are fine with not chatting :-) I've just noticed the 9A/10A or 9A/15L combo would be on a United 777-200. I note 15L is tucked away, but wonder if it gets noise from rear and 10A might be quieter, albeit aisle facing. Would you have any opinion on choosing between 18A/18L or 4D/G or 10D/G. Wondering if row 4 would be quieter as a smaller cabin?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Hello! Many thanks for replying so promptly - VERY much appreciated. We are fine with not chatting :-) I've just noticed the 9A/10A or 9A/15L combo would be on a United 777-200. I note 15L is tucked away, but wonder if it gets noise from rear and 10A might be quieter, albeit aisle facing. Would you have any opinion on choosing between 18A/18L or 4D/G or 10D/G. Wondering if row 4 would be quieter as a smaller cabin?
I don't find the curtain to be a huge source of source - usually the galley and lavs are much more so.

Among those even pairs, probably 4 D/G for being in the middle of the cabin (and quiet). No matter what you do with an even seat you are still going to be half in the aisle.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:34 am

Ah, ok, I will move us forward to 4D/G and hope for the best. That flight IS on the 777-300er, which I forgot to mention. On the 777-200, I think we'll go with 9A and 15L as you suggested for the extra seat privacy. Incredibly helpful, thanks so very much!
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Among those even pairs, probably 4 D/G for being in the middle of the cabin (and quiet). No matter what you do with an even seat you are still going to be half in the aisle.
18A/L get no traffic at all. Will be quieter than 4 D/G. Long wait for meal service though.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
My EWR-BOM GPU cleared and UA put me in 16L, with the only other seats remaining are the middle pairs in rows 16,17,18 and 18A. What would you recommend in this case? Would 18A have too much noise from PP? Or would 18A be a lot better than 16L? And even with literally the last seat in Polaris, would they still honor my 1K food preference?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
My EWR-BOM GPU cleared and UA put me in 16L, with the only other seats remaining are the middle pairs in rows 16,17,18 and 18A. What would you recommend in this case? Would 18A have too much noise from PP? Or would 18A be a lot better than 16L? And even with literally the last seat in Polaris, would they still honor my 1K food preference?
For me it would be a tossup between 18A or one of the odd middle pairs. I flew 17G last week and it's just fine with the privacy divider up.

Location in the cabin should not impact meal selection assuming FAs follow protocol.
IADFlyer123 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:43 am

Update- seats 2L, 10A,or 18L are available. What's the best of the lot. My concern with 2L and 10 A is proximity to galley.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
For food service, is it split 1-8 then 10-18? So If I choose 11 I will get served like I was sitting up front in 3? or does 11 come after all the rest?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
For food service, is it split 1-8 then 10-18? So If I choose 11 I will get served like I was sitting up front in 3? or does 11 come after all the rest?

I believe it is split with the middle galley offering services for the rear Polaris cabin and crew meals.
dcsnowwake likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
I believe it is split with the middle galley offering services for the rear Polaris cabin and crew meals.
Yes. That's how it is at present.

However, I was told by a FA friend who works this aircraft regularly that there was a rumor that United wanted to reduce crew further (maybe they have by now - as I haven't seen her for a few months) and to do the meal service from front to back all the way into the second cabin!

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
It would be 9-18, and you would be the 3rd row from the bulkhead served.
dcsnowwake likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Yes. That's how it is at present.

However, I was told by a FA friend who works this aircraft regularly that there was a rumor that United wanted to reduce crew further (maybe they have by now - as I haven't seen her for a few months) and to do the meal service from front to back all the way into the second cabin!

It would be 9-18, and you would be the 3rd row from the bulkhead served.
Please Please Please no more cuts.

Im currently in 11 due to 3 being out....maybe I should move to 1 just to be safe....
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:16 pm

We've just flown LHR - SFO in seats 15A and 16A respectively. Enjoyed 15A because it had three windows, so felt spacious. It was also very quiet, however is just in front of the engine, so perhaps 11A might be even more so. It was a daytime flight and even with slight engine reverberation noise, still managed some sleep. My husband sat in 16A, which faces the aisle, though really, these are still relatively private. It only has one window, however he says it was fine and slept ok. He did mention the FA's weren't particularly friendly. We're used to being greeted by name, but perhaps that's just on oneworld? Nice view of GG bridge on this side when coming from London. Overall, a nice quiet flight.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 1:40 pm

My husband sat in 16A, which faces the aisle, though really, these are still relatively private. It only has one window, however he says it was fine and slept ok.
This seems at odds with the Wiki at the top of he page which states that 16A doesn’t have a window. Would someone please clarify?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
I don't it that far back. I prefer 9A or 9L when available. But with the seat pitch there should be at minimum one window at each seat with some seats catching two.
Seat guru doesn't call out any Polaris seats missing a window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.