Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
I can't believe you're even asking about using a row in F for storage. No, I would almost guarantee F will be full on your departure -- either someone else will buy F tickets or one of the many SFO-based elites will snag a much-coveted ugprade. You should have adequate overhead bin access in either row.

As far as the differences go, you've pretty well covered it. You'll likely have a little more privacy in row 11 but IME people in F don't usually queue up at the lavatory the way they do in the back of the plane so that difference is probably marginal.

Just don't plan on stowing anything in an "empty" row ...
There's no F since Jan 2019.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by chemengin
Sad but true...
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chemengin
It was obviously a reference to the J cabin.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:03 am

First Time in J

SFO to FRA - Currently 2A. 4D, 15G, 17G is open. Since I'm travelling alone I'll keep checking for a window odd but what are the best options for me? Specially between 2A and 15G.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Varun Vasudeo
SFO to FRA - Currently 2A. 4D, 15G, 17G is open. Since I'm travelling alone I'll keep checking for a window odd but what are the best options for me? Specially between 2A and 15G.
Depends whether you prefer a non-ideal window or more aisle isolation. It's very much a personal choice without an obvious answer.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 7:23 pm

I’m UA gold and flying FRA to SFO on March30th. I hate 3-4-3 so trying to find a best seat for me.I prefer aisle seats but read in some reviews that they have a legroom issue?
Currently I’m on 45A exit row. Your thoughts?

I still have almost all E+ options open. For upgrade to PP is $1300 which is a bit to much for my wallet:/
flight UA59

Last edited by frips79; Feb 8, 2020 at 7:46 pm
Old Feb 9, 2020, 11:34 am

while I do like UA's current Polaris business class seat, I wish that the partitions are a little higher. When I'm sitting up right, my entire head and neck are above the partition around the seat. The person behind me can see my whole head, which is not a very feeling. (same goes for the guy in from of me in 2A, since he was a tall fellow like me and I could also see the entire back of his head) It almost felt like we were moles sitting in a whac-a-mole machine.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm sure it's upthread somewhere but I can't find it - what's the deal with the 777-3ER air vents that seem to have two settings: barely there or hurricane force? It seems as soon as you open the vent even slightly, it spins open on its own resulting in an unwanted blast of air. I am thinking a small piece of tape would hold it in place, but that's a hassle every time I want to make a small adjustment.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 5:23 am

Second time in J

FRA - SFO. 1L vs 9L? About 24 seats open so not worried about food choice so much.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
I have flown this route an untold number of times in E+. Exit row is my very last choice before E- aisle. People congregate around the lavs and there is just too much traffic. The window in exit has to be the tiniest seat on the plane with very little leg room.

In E+ I always choose the outer aisle first, then the inner aisle. Then inner middle. Last would be outer middle. If only E- is available I would take another flight.

Yes, the aisle legroom is not as wide as the window/middle, but it is more than enough if you can stow you stuff in the upper bin. About halfway through the flight I end up getting my laptop bag out and stow it under the seat in front while I do stuff. For me at 5'10" it's fine.

The PP is ABSOLUTE garbage for leg room if you are in anything except the aisle or bulkhead. There is not enough room to stow anything under seat in front and still have leg room. I would choose E+ aisle over PP middle any day of the week. Also, I don't think it's worth more than about $300 premium over E+ *unless* you can get bulkhead. Then I might pay $500 more for it. If you play your cards right, check the TOD offer when you check in (hover over the business seat for a price). My last flight from MUC-SFO I could have paid $649 for business but didn't because I need to reserve my budget for when I really need it. But that's a good price!
frips79 likes this.

Last edited by bballdad175; Feb 27, 2020 at 8:35 pm
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by bballdad175
The PP is ABSOLUTE garbage for leg room if you are in anything except the aisle or bulkhead. There is not enough room to stow anything under seat in front and still have leg room.
Does no one else put their bag behind their feet so it doesn't impede legroom?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
The PP is ABSOLUTE garbage for leg room if you are in anything except the aisle or bulkhead. There is not enough room to stow anything under seat in front and still have leg room. I would choose E+ aisle over PP middle any day of the week. Also, I don't think it's worth more than about $300 premium over E+ *unless* you can get bulkhead. Then I might pay $500 more for it. If you play your cards right, check the TOD offer when you check in (hover over the business seat for a price). My last flight from MUC-SFO I could have paid $649 for business but didn't because I need to reserve my budget for when I really need it. But that's a good price!
I agree - PP is hopeless - I got stuck in the last row with minimal recline in a window seat next to an overweight gentleman - who I had to climb over each time I had to go to the lav...he wasn't happy!

Food also sucked royally - as the service was the same as Y...

I won't fly anything except Polaris - or maybe an EE row seat - but rather would fly LH for my normal sectors, which are 14+ hours long...
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Originally Posted by findark
Does no one else put their bag behind their feet so it doesn't impede legroom?
Wouldn't that mean putting your bag in front of the passenger behind you - impeding their legroom?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Larrude
Wouldn't that mean putting your bag in front of the passenger behind you - impeding their legroom?
There isn't a practical way to put your bag in the underseat for the row behind with P+ because of the legrest.

I imagine it means putting it just in front of your own legrest.
Larrude likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
I have flown this route an untold number of times in E+. Exit row is my very last choice before E- aisle. People congregate around the lavs and there is just too much traffic. The window in exit has to be the tiniest seat on the plane with very little leg room.
Are you talking about row 30? I find that row 45 windows are great. I've done 4 long haul flights in 45A/L and there has never been that much traffic. There is an emergency slide bump, but it isn't that obtrusive and is a long way off. The window is also well placed for extra shoulder room.

https://blog.wandr.me/wp-content/upl...ats-row-39.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.