Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by chipbennett
I appreciate this. Thank you! Would there be less foot traffic in the front cabin? I'm not particularly worried about noise, since noise-canceling headphones generally take care of any issues for me. (Same for light; eye shades work well enough for me.)
Yes, front cabin will have less foot traffic since there are lavs both in front and behind the section.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I would prefer rows 3 or 5 - I agree that the bulkhead thing is mostly superstition from the old B/E Diamond seats where the footwells were significantly different in the bulkheads, and you do get a little bit of light/noise exposure from the galley in Row 1.

I would not choose something as far back as 17 unless you want a wing in your face and see free white noise in the form of the engine as a plus. For some this is probably fine, but I want unobstructed views.

The mattress pad is very nice and I would ask for it. Personally I have not found either pajamas or the slippers to be worth the hassle, but this is very YMMV. As others mentioned, UA is inconsistent on the offering and ask for anything you don't see in your seat.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
On my last couple of trips to Asia in Polaris, you have to request the slippers as they are no longer placed in your seat.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by findark
I agree that the bulkhead thing is mostly superstition from the old B/E Diamond seats where the footwells were significantly different in the bulkheads
The first row of each cabin definitely has significantly larger footwells on all the Polaris fleet types. I think it's as big a difference as the Diamond seats. Whether it's needed or not depends on your height and foot size.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by The Man in Seat 9A
The first row of each cabin definitely has significantly larger footwells on all the Polaris fleet types. I think it's as big a difference as the Diamond seats. Whether it's needed or not depends on your height and foot size.
While enough people have said this that I believe you on a factual basis, at 6' and a size 11 shoe I have still never actually noticed this myself, compared to the Diamond footwells which on the narrowest seats would not admit both of my feet at the same time. What I would say is that unless you are extremely particular about your footwells, I don't think the average pax would have anything negative to say about the regular Polaris footwells.

1A has a slanty view straight into the galley, and while I am not particularly sensitive, I would still trade whatever bulkhead benefits for the comparative dark and quiet of 3A.
The Man in Seat 9A likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
There will be more foot traffic in row 1 and than row 9.

And I would agree that an eye mask and noise cancelling headphones (or in ear like AirPods Pro for side sleepers) will mitigate any perceived noise/light issues.

Back to your original question, unfortunately United is consistently inconsistent. So whether slippers will be at your seat or piled on the ledge or somewhere else for any given flight is anyone’s guess. Also PJs. So you’ll want to be nimble: if they are not provided to you proactively, ask!

Mattress Pads are usually stuffed in overhead bins or a closet and you should also ask for them.

And if you want to have a backup plan, pack your own PJ and disposable slippers in your carryon.

Hope you have a good trip.
To be honest, I'm mainly curious about the pajamas merely because I've never been on a flight that provided them before. I'm sure I'll sleep fine with or without them. The slippers, on the other hand, are important. I change into compression socks for flights that long, and will pack a backup pair of slippers, just in case.

I appreciate all the input. The less I can bother the cabin crew unnecessarily, the better.

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your flights.

My user name should make it clear where I stand on the 9A question. I will admit that my opinion is colored by my height and the size of my feet. I really appreciate the larger footwells.
That's what sold me, as well. I'm 6'2, and appreciate the extra footwell space.

There are threads about slippers and pajamas. Yes, you have to ask for a mattress pad.
I did see a pajamas master thread. I'll skim through that some more.

You should also read up on the SFO Polaris lounge, there's a thread. If you have time and want to sleep more, I'd eat there before you board. The food in the Polaris Lounge or the nearby Centurion Lounge (if you have access) is better than on board.
That lounge does look very nice. I'll have about 2 hours to kill before boarding. I'm thinking a pre-flight made-to-order omelet is going to be the way to go.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 18, 2024 at 2:36 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
To be honest, I'm mainly curious about the pajamas merely because I've never been on a flight that provided them before. I'm sure I'll sleep fine with or without them. The slippers, on the other hand, are important. I change into compression socks for flights that long, and will pack a backup pair of slippers, just in case.

I appreciate all the input. The less I can bother the cabin crew unnecessarily, the better.
I've never not gotten the slippers, but I usually bring my own and use those, then take the new ones for the next flight (or flight where I don't get an upgrade). They usually last more than one flight anyway, though I usually toss them after flights to/from China (IYKYK).

I wouldn't worry about bothering the flight crew - just ask at convenient times. E.g., when they welcome you or take your order ask for a pair of slippers and/or PJs. When they clear your meal ask for the mattress pad.
chipbennett likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The first row of each cabin definitely has significantly larger footwells on all the Polaris fleet types. I think it's as big a difference as the Diamond seats.
I agree with your first statement but not with your second. The regular Polaris footwells are substantially larger than the regular Diamond footwells.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:18 pm

That lounge does look very nice. I'll have about 2 hours to kill before boarding. I'm thinking a pre-flight made-to-order omelet is going to be the way to go.
Get yourself on the restaurant waitlist ASAP when you get in. Waits are the norm, not the exception, at the restaurant dining.
chipbennett likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by dkc192
I agree with your first statement but not with your second. The regular Polaris footwells are substantially larger than the regular Diamond footwells.
I have no reason to disagree. I haven't flown the diamonds overnight in many years and I don't remember.

What's interesting to me is that it must all be the expectations game. When I first started flying the Diamonds I was comparing them to the AA "NGBC" which were slanted flat beds, and I loved them for being true lie flats. When I first started flying Polaris I was comparing them to BA's Fore and Aft Business and various Herringbone and Reverse Herringbone setups and I was annoyed because I couldn't sleep on my side unless I was in the bulkhead.

When I think back to the first 'Connoisseur Class' 2-3-2s, or even the F in those days, I am very happy with any Polaris seat, or any lie flat seat at all for that matter.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
I think it comes down to personal preference and/or if you are a side sleeper.

Yes the regular Polaris footwells are larger than the regular Diamond footwells.

But there is no doubt that the bulkhead Polaris footwells are larger than the regular Polaris seats.

So whether you think the extra space makes a difference or not it up to you.

And while this is the 777-300 thread, since not all Polaris seats are created equal, the 787 seats are narrower, so their “regular” Polaris seats have narrower footwells.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
I've never not gotten the slippers, but I usually bring my own and use those, then take the new ones for the next flight (or flight where I don't get an upgrade). They usually last more than one flight anyway, though I usually toss them after flights to/from China (IYKYK).

I wouldn't worry about bothering the flight crew - just ask at convenient times. E.g., when they welcome you or take your order ask for a pair of slippers and/or PJs. When they clear your meal ask for the mattress pad.
Thanks! I've got a bin full of DL slippers and face masks and amenity kit items. I keep thinking they might be useful for house guests and such. As for the cabin crew: I know they're there to help, and IMX are almost always very helpful. I just never want to be/come across as a DYKWIA. (It's the midwesterner in me.)
Old Mar 19, 2024, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
I think it comes down to personal preference and/or if you are a side sleeper.

Yes the regular Polaris footwells are larger than the regular Diamond footwells.

But there is no doubt that the bulkhead Polaris footwells are larger than the regular Polaris seats.

So whether you think the extra space makes a difference or not it up to you.

And while this is the 777-300 thread, since not all Polaris seats are created equal, the 787 seats are narrower, so their “regular” Polaris seats have narrower footwells.
So, as a tall side-sleeper, it sounds like 9A was a good choice for me?
Old Mar 19, 2024, 10:38 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
So, as a tall side-sleeper, it sounds like 9A was a good choice for me?
I’m not as tall as you, and have ways to cope with any light/noise that might be an issue and would pick 9A (or 9L if it offers better views during departure/arrival)
chipbennett likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not aware nor read any reports of a UA economy seat having no recline due to a wall behind the seat.

A report on 43A. Yes, it does recline - as much (or as little) as any Economy seat. The bit of wall alongside that window is very useful - I can wedge my pillow nicely, without losing it in the recess of a window belonging to the seat behind.
SPN Lifer and nexus7556 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.