Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2023, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by dkc192
31L is a standard E+ seat from a comfort perspective. From a view perspective, the AeroLOPA seatmap shows a mostly unusable window at row 31, so you might want to move further back, though any view from the E+ rows will be substantially obstructed by the wing.

For HKG-SFO specifically, I'd prefer the A side over the L side. You're likely to get good views of SF and the Golden Gate Bridge upon arrival, assuming arriving from the northwest vs the west/southwest. The A side also used to have good views of HK upon departure from the 7s, but it seems like they've changed the departure pattern.
I'm so glad you responded to my post. I just moved from 31L to 33A.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:53 pm

7A on 777-300

Have a long haul flight (14 hours). Does seat 7A have a window? Would you choose 7A or 15A/L?
WheelsUpGal likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
About to do 15 hours in 1A. Wish me luck. In the end, I went for the window seat and the bigger footwell. I’ll go with noise cancelling headphones and ear plugs for the galley noise.
ll22949 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bcars55
Have a long haul flight (14 hours). Does seat 7A have a window? Would you choose 7A or 15A/L?
7A does have a window but it's missing one (odd-numbered seats usually have two or three). See this diagram for an approximate location of the missing window relative to the seat itself: https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-77x.

Because of the missing window and proximity to the galley, I think I would choose 15 over 7.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
7A does have a window but it's missing one (odd-numbered seats usually have two or three). See this diagram for an approximate location of the missing window relative to the seat itself: https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-77x.

Because of the missing window and proximity to the galley, I think I would choose 15 over 7.

Thank you!
Old Jan 11, 2024, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by John Darcy
What about the window alignments in rows 46-54? Most of my SYD-SFO flight will have nothing to see out there but (a) I do like getting good photos of my city as we climb out, and (b) when I recline my head on the wall I prefer a wall to be there, not the window pane.

So, a seat in the range 46L to 54L where the window is slightly forward of my shoulder? Any gurus here?
A quick follow-up to the above - I sat in 46L and achieved Mission Goal #1

And now a new question. Can anyone say (with certainty) whether or not 43-A has any recline? - given that there is a wall behind?
Old Feb 12, 2024, 2:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by John Darcy
... Can anyone say (with certainty) whether or not 43-A has any recline? - given that there is a wall behind?
Not aware nor read any reports of a UA economy seat having no recline due to a wall behind the seat.
John Darcy likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 10:29 am

Programs: United MP
Greetings all,

Anybody here have thoughts on the Economy Plus window seats in 777-300ER. I'm curious if any of the seats line up with the windows so that you have some more shoulder room - specifically 31L through 35L as I'm not fan of bulkhead because of the slight narrower seat b/c of monitor. It doesn't seem so, but I'm not sure.

24L on the (terribly old config.) 777-200 is great for this.

Thank you!
Old Feb 19, 2024, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Agger
Greetings all,

Anybody here have thoughts on the Economy Plus window seats in 777-300ER. I'm curious if any of the seats line up with the windows so that you have some more shoulder room - specifically 31L through 35L as I'm not fan of bulkhead because of the slight narrower seat b/c of monitor. It doesn't seem so, but I'm not sure.

Thank you!
https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-77x

Row 31 has a misaligned window, 32 and 34 have one window while 33 and 35 have two.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Agger
Greetings all,

Thank you!
Outside your range, but 45A and L line up for additional shoulder room. Those are my favorite seats in E+.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Hello, United flyers! I'm a Delta (almost) 1MM, who just got booked by my Chinese colleagues on a UA Polaris 777-300ER flight IND-SFO-PVG. I managed to grab 9A for SFO-PVG and PVG-SFO, thanks to poking around this thread a bit.

Any other words of advice/wisdom? Are the slippers available at boarding, or do I need to request them? (On DL, they are placed at the D1 seat.) What is etiquette for requesting/using pajamas? (Honestly, never had these on a flight before.) Do I need to request a mattress pad? (I'm seeing a lot of mixed information online, in general, about the Polaris offering.)

I'm honestly going to be trying to get as much sleep as I can and reset my body clock, and generally try to be low maintenance to the cabin crew. So, anything you can offer to help me avoid looking like a complete UA/Polaris newbie, I appreciate. (Including whether I should be posting general Polaris question in a different thread?)
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by chipbennett
Hello, United flyers! I'm a Delta (almost) 1MM, who just got booked by my Chinese colleagues on a UA Polaris 777-300ER flight IND-SFO-PVG. I managed to grab 9A for SFO-PVG and PVG-SFO, thanks to poking around this thread a bit.

Any other words of advice/wisdom? Are the slippers available at boarding, or do I need to request them? (On DL, they are placed at the D1 seat.) What is etiquette for requesting/using pajamas? (Honestly, never had these on a flight before.) Do I need to request a mattress pad? (I'm seeing a lot of mixed information online, in general, about the Polaris offering.)

I'm honestly going to be trying to get as much sleep as I can and reset my body clock, and generally try to be low maintenance to the cabin crew. So, anything you can offer to help me avoid looking like a complete UA/Polaris newbie, I appreciate. (Including whether I should be posting general Polaris question in a different thread?)
I've always maintained that those who prefer row 9 or row 1 are in the strong minority of most flyers, and these rows have no business being the "best" window seat as per the wiki. If your priority is sleep, you will be subject not only to the galley lights/noise, but also being right next to the lav, there are many experiences of constant slamming of the door and odor from the lav. Also, you will have constant foot traffic from all of the seats behind you going to the lav. I would recommend row 15 or 17 if they are available.
chipbennett likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by chemengin
I've always maintained that those who prefer row 9 or row 1 are in the strong minority of most flyers, and these rows have no business being the "best" window seat as per the wiki. If your priority is sleep, you will be subject not only to the galley lights/noise, but also being right next to the lav, there are many experiences of constant slamming of the door and odor from the lav. Also, you will have constant foot traffic from all of the seats behind you going to the lav. I would recommend row 15 or 17 if they are available.
I appreciate this. Thank you! Would there be less foot traffic in the front cabin? I'm not particularly worried about noise, since noise-canceling headphones generally take care of any issues for me. (Same for light; eye shades work well enough for me.)
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1 MM, Marriott LT-Plt, Hyatt Glb
Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your flights.

My user name should make it clear where I stand on the 9A question. I will admit that my opinion is colored by my height and the size of my feet. I really appreciate the larger footwells.

There are threads about slippers and pajamas. Yes, you have to ask for a mattress pad.

You should also read up on the SFO Polaris lounge, there's a thread. If you have time and want to sleep more, I'd eat there before you board. The food in the Polaris Lounge or the nearby Centurion Lounge (if you have access) is better than on board.
chipbennett likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 9:59 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
I appreciate this. Thank you! Would there be less foot traffic in the front cabin? I'm not particularly worried about noise, since noise-canceling headphones generally take care of any issues for me. (Same for light; eye shades work well enough for me.)
There will be more foot traffic in row 1 and than row 9.

And I would agree that an eye mask and noise cancelling headphones (or in ear like AirPods Pro for side sleepers) will mitigate any perceived noise/light issues.

Back to your original question, unfortunately United is consistently inconsistent. So whether slippers will be at your seat or piled on the ledge or somewhere else for any given flight is anyone’s guess. Also PJs. So you’ll want to be nimble: if they are not provided to you proactively, ask!

Mattress Pads are usually stuffed in overhead bins or a closet and you should also ask for them.

And if you want to have a backup plan, pack your own PJ and disposable slippers in your carryon.

Hope you have a good trip.
chipbennett likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.