Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by ual1234
May have to take a trip between PEK and SFO on the new 777 and see that they've squeezed in another seat going across. How bad are the economy seats on this plane for a 12+ hour flight? I've got some other routing options available if it's going to be like flying in a can of sardines.
They are really, really, really bad. Seat is .6" narrower than the seats on a 737, and Ua made the aisles 1" narrower as well, so you get bumped in the aisles. Plus the middle 4 seats have restricted foot wells.

But making it worse is your chances of being in the tinny narrow seat on Ua next to a big American is greater than on other 3-4-3 carriers.

Just read what FTers have said about even E+ on the Ua 773, or on the 777Hd (version 5 which has the same horrible seat width). Real passengers who have flown it say to avoid.

On sfo-pek I would take the air china 747 over Ua, it is that bad, or better yet, connect on a decent airline over Ua.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by ual1234
May have to take a trip between PEK and SFO on the new 777 and see that they've squeezed in another seat going across. How bad are the economy seats on this plane for a 12+ hour flight? I've got some other routing options available if it's going to be like flying in a can of sardines.
I just did a review above on post #309

My best advice to you is to use your other routing options.
It's bad. I had a bulkhead seat 19E SFO-TPE. It's called Economy Plus but it was anything but 'plus.'
It's as you say, "flying in a can of sardines."
Did I mention that it's bad?

If you can get seats 19A, 19L, 24A, 24L, 39A and 39L on your PEK-SFO flight, then I would say its fine.
It's bad though. 12+ hours is borderline unbearable.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
My best advice to you is to use your other routing options.
It's bad. I had a bulkhead seat 19E SFO-TPE. It's called Economy Plus but it was anything but 'plus.'
It is not just FT, the reviews on Seat guru are just as bad, most recent for E+ seats on this horrible bird are as follows:

"3+4+3 in economy plus and economy is torture for cross pacific flight. Seat width only 17". I guess UNITED prefer revenue rather than LOYALTY.UA think we are NOT Human but Sardines. I think it is about time to say good bye to United." (22A)

"The flight was cramped and the seat had no recline, the food was odd and the seat was very tight." (19G)

"United has squeezed another seat in on the 777-300ER, going from 3-3-3-3 to 3-4-3 across the plane. This makes it feel much more cramped and uncomfortable than their 777-200 aircraft. 22G is an aisle seat - the aisles are so narrow on the aircraft that I was constantly being bumped and knocked by people going past. The seat itself is also less comfortable than the 777-200, and the headrest wings do not stay in place when you lean your head on them. The small plus with this particular seat is that you have some extra storage beneath it since it backs onto a toilet." (for 22G)

"I found the seat the most uncomfortable seat I have ever had. It was hard, no room for one's arm, the under seat space which should have been large enough for my personal item and is on other flights was not big enough. After the flight I have had serious back pain from the seat. I do not plan on ever agreeing to fly on that plane and really am having second thoughts about ever flying United again " (for 28J)

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Un..._777-300ER.php
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
It is not just FT, the reviews on Seat guru are just as bad, most recent for E+ seats on this horrible bird are as follows:

"3+4+3 in economy plus and economy is torture for cross pacific flight. Seat width only 17". I guess UNITED prefer revenue rather than LOYALTY.UA think we are NOT Human but Sardines. I think it is about time to say good bye to United." (22A)

"The flight was cramped and the seat had no recline, the food was odd and the seat was very tight." (19G)

"United has squeezed another seat in on the 777-300ER, going from 3-3-3-3 to 3-4-3 across the plane. This makes it feel much more cramped and uncomfortable than their 777-200 aircraft. 22G is an aisle seat - the aisles are so narrow on the aircraft that I was constantly being bumped and knocked by people going past. The seat itself is also less comfortable than the 777-200, and the headrest wings do not stay in place when you lean your head on them. The small plus with this particular seat is that you have some extra storage beneath it since it backs onto a toilet." (for 22G)

"I found the seat the most uncomfortable seat I have ever had. It was hard, no room for one's arm, the under seat space which should have been large enough for my personal item and is on other flights was not big enough. After the flight I have had serious back pain from the seat. I do not plan on ever agreeing to fly on that plane and really am having second thoughts about ever flying United again " (for 28J)

All these reviews are fairly accurate (except maybe having second thoughts about ever flying United again. Let's all take a deep breath and calm down there lol). One other thing I failed to mention in my review was again with the aisle: the FAs were very proactive in asking all aisle seat people to be careful with their elbows when coming through with carts but other pax going through obviously wouldn't be announcing their presence through these aisles. It would simply be unimaginable.
Also, in order to avoid bumping into fellow pax while I got up to use the restroom or was standing up to stretch my legs near the exit area, I had to shuffle through or walk sideways through the aisles. It is just simply unbelievable how bad this plane is behind row 18.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:04 pm

All these reviews are fairly accurate (except maybe having second thoughts about ever flying United again. Let's all take a deep breath and calm down there lol).
Actually perhaps the most important metric an airline - or any consumer business has - is the "net promoter score" It is those who will recommend the business to friends/family/co-workers over those who will say bad things, recommend to avoid. [it can be done a number of ways, sometimes using stong/weak promoter/detractor.] It reflects the ability to retain and attract business.

A plane like this is just a magnet for bad NPS. Most people who fly this bird don't know/care to know about specific aircraft, etc, they just know that they had a HORRIBLE flight. Most people don't associate it with this aircraft, they will associate the tight seats and pain with United. And it is not a small RJ, but an international plane where by and large, people expect more comfort in Y.

I don't think the respond of "I'm not flying United again" is frankly that uncommon, particularly when the association is not just unfriendly service, but actual discomfort.

I know that I will not be found on this plane in Y, and I know that I tell others to avoid it. I am not the only one.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:50 am

Actually perhaps the most important metric an airline - or any consumer business has - is the "net promoter score" It is those who will recommend the business to friends/family/co-workers over those who will say bad things, recommend to avoid. [it can be done a number of ways, sometimes using stong/weak promoter/detractor.] It reflects the ability to retain and attract business.

A plane like this is just a magnet for bad NPS. Most people who fly this bird don't know/care to know about specific aircraft, etc, they just know that they had a HORRIBLE flight. Most people don't associate it with this aircraft, they will associate the tight seats and pain with United. And it is not a small RJ, but an international plane where by and large, people expect more comfort in Y.

I don't think the respond of "I'm not flying United again" is frankly that uncommon, particularly when the association is not just unfriendly service, but actual discomfort.

I know that I will not be found on this plane in Y, and I know that I tell others to avoid it. I am not the only one.
I don't doubt anything you are saying. I guess it's because I have a variety of ways to get to my destinations in Asia which is why I said that.
Same with you, I will probably tell all my clients to avoid this aircraft unless they are sitting in Polaris.
It's just a bit presumptuous to say that one awful experience on one specific aircraft can lead to impugning an entire airline, is the point I was trying to get across.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

On sfo-pek I would take the air china 747 over Ua, it is that bad, or better yet, connect on a decent airline over Ua.
I have taken the Air China 748 in economy, and I would agee, if judging on seat pitch, legrooms and seat comfort, Air China Y seats are better than the UA Y seats on the 77W on a long haul flight. I cannot comment on IFE and food offerings, because it is a matter of personal preference.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:52 am

I don't doubt anything you are saying. I guess it's because I have a variety of ways to get to my destinations in Asia which is why I said that.
Same with you, I will probably tell all my clients to avoid this aircraft unless they are sitting in Polaris.
It's just a bit presumptuous to say that one awful experience on one specific aircraft can lead to impugning an entire airline, is the point I was trying to get across.
I have been flying since the early 70s, when I was a little kid, and my best estimate is that I have about 4.5MM under my belt. I am not going to let a single factor turn me off, because I know enough to avoid things that are bad. However, I think with most international Y travelers, a single bad experience is enough to turn them off UA, particularity when it involves physical discomfort. I have put up with United's dog food, lack of IFE, etc for year, for $200-300+ savings on each ticket, I'll put up with United's bad service and soft product. But I am NOT going to put up with being in physical pain, and in the few times I have been jammed in uncomfortable seats, I have long remembered it (e.g. I got stuck on a 3-4-3 77W on ANA, and while they have gone back to ordering new birds at 3-3-3, I will not book them ex-SFO so as to avoid the risk of getting that plane).

as UA rolls out the 772s at 3-4-3, more than half of UA's long haul fleet, will be this bone crushing configuration, and the 789 at 3-3-3 is not much better. At that point, the entirety of UA's Long Haul offerings will not be very comfortable (expect the remaining 763s) in Y, and choice will be to fly these horrible configurations, or pick another airline to fly.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:08 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I just gave up 10A for 15A, after noticing it just opened up.

Was that a good decision?

Note this is a p.t.s. day-flight, so I don't really care for sleep.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by helvetic
I just gave up 10A for 15A, after noticing it just opened up.

Was that a good decision?

Note this is a p.t.s. day-flight, so I don't really care for sleep.
^^
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Does anyone know if 1L has the shelf area similar to 9L at the front wall?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jcatman
Does anyone know if 1L has the shelf area similar to 9L at the front wall?
All the bulkhead seats (Row 1 & 9) have a "shelf" area.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: DL G, UA G, IHG SA

Yes, 3-4-3 economy is that bad. I agree with all these comments. Just came back in seat 39L on 889. Legroom is plenty but seats are way too narrow. Also I have a "headroom" issue, my QC35 headphone scratches the wall easily when I sit straight (I am 5'11). I have a couple of trips planned for the rest of the year and no way I am flying this aircraft again.

BTW, I want to give today's UA pilots a 5-star. Total flight time is 9 hours and 40 minutes for a route normally takes 10.5-11 hours. Someone must have heard my prayer and sent a lot of tailwind to shorten my pain.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by luek096
BTW, I want to give today's UA pilots a 5-star. Total flight time is 9 hours and 40 minutes for a route normally takes 10.5-11 hours. Someone must have heard my prayer and sent a lot of tailwind to shorten my pain.
Very common for NRT-SFO to come in well under 10 hours.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:31 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Sat in 15G. Loving those new Polaris seats. Can't go wrong with any odd window seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.