Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by spin88
Every Y seat on this plane - all of which are .6" or narrower than a 737 seat - are too narrow, so the "best" is really bad... (unless you are really slight and small). The consensus appears to be that Row 19 is the best of the worst...
If the "buy up to business" offer hadn't been 4k USD per leg, I might've bit. :P So that's my only option unfortunately But thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by spin88
Every Y seat on this plane - all of which are .6" or narrower than a 737 seat - are too narrow, so the "best" is really bad... (unless you are really slight and small). The consensus appears to be that Row 19 is the best of the worst...
Interesting. I just happen to have 19L on an upcoming flight, why is 19 favored over other rows (per consencus)? Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Interesting. I just happen to have 19L on an upcoming flight, why is 19 favored over other rows (per consencus)? Thanks and Safe Travels
The seat is slightly narrower in the seat pan (but you get slightly larger arm rests, so the same size in the shoulder, which is the real issue) but slightly better leg room and no one reclining into you. Unlike the exit row, there is no door intruding with cold air.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Are 7A and 7L bad seats? Are they right next to the galley wall or open galley entrance? Does the light from galley affect sleep? Can you see the flight attendant in the galley when you stand up?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
17A/K are the best
Originally Posted by findark
How's the view? Still far enough forward to not just be wing?
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
It's not terrible, but the massive (!) engine is right outside. Still forward of the wing though.

From row 17:

Originally Posted by Kacee
You're going to get quite a bit more engine noise there. You're also at risk from the bassinets in row 19.

Altogether, I'd still rather be towards the front of the forward cabin, but that usually fills first, so it's good to know there are quality seats all the way at the back of the second cabin, too.
If you like to look out the window(s), I'd suggest 11A or 11L. You get 3 (three) windows - one immediately by your seat/next to your head, and two along the length of your Polaris seat:

Note no engine unless you sit forward and look down/back:

Here's the view forward and toward the center of the 2nd cabin:

Originally, I was upgraded into 2L which would have been good for much less noise (this flight had a mom (9D) and her two tots in (9G) - the two tots were jumping up and down on their seat literally the whole flight as well as beating each up either and lots of crying - also were engaging/pestering the guy in 10G by jumping up and hanging over the seat back). However, absent the noise factor, I'd advise for something like 11A or 11L if you like to watch the view.

David
Attached Images       

Last edited by DELee; Jul 1, 2017 at 3:18 am Reason: photobucket.com is being a pain
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:28 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Have sat in 1D (bulkhead seat with the paired seating) twice and have really enjoyed the privacy and the leg room...on Sunday, I sat in 12A (angled out seat) due to SDC-ing onto the SFO-EWR flight a bit late. The privacy factor was a bit less (I could see the legs of the person in 12D), but it wasn't as bad as I thought it could be. The main difference was the footwell, which was noticeably smaller and reminded me very much of the footwells on the non-bulkhead sCO BF seats. It was still bigger, if marginally, but have to say that bulkhead odd-numbered seats are definitely the way to go.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
have to say that bulkhead odd-numbered seats are definitely the way to go.
Have you sat in a non-bulkhead odd numbered seat?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
In the new 77W Polaris seats there is a button below the reading light. I can't figure out what that button does. Any ideas?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:16 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by warreng24
In the new 77W Polaris seats there is a button below the reading light. I can't figure out what that button does. Any ideas?
I think that button is just a dimmer switch
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
Are 7A and 7L bad seats? Are they right next to the galley wall or open galley entrance? Does the light from galley affect sleep? Can you see the flight attendant in the galley when you stand up?
I've been seated in both. They are almost at the galley wall I'd say, but definitely not next to the galley itself. There is a seat behind.

You'll hear some galley noise though it didn't bother me. Standing up you see the wall & seat across rather into the galley.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
6'7 frame with large feet size 14... in other words footwell space is important to me. That said, I cant stand being close to a lav.

I need to choose between 15L or 1D/G or 9L

Even with the pictures in this thread it is difficult to tell the difference between footwell space for a bulkhead or odd numbered window seat. Are the odd numbered window seats suitable for tall people with big feet?

As for row 1 bulkhead or row 9 bulkhead how bothersome is the light/noise pollution?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:18 pm

Side question: will I need a two prong headphone adapter to use my Beats?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by piemel
6'7 frame with large feet size 14... in other words footwell space is important to me. That said, I cant stand being close to a lav.

Even with the pictures in this thread it is difficult to tell the difference between footwell space for a bulkhead or odd numbered window seat. Are the odd numbered window seats suitable for tall people with big feet?

As for row 1 bulkhead or row 9 bulkhead how bothersome is the light/noise pollution?
I sat in 1A HKG-SFO and I will never take that seat again. The noise and light from the galley really bothered me. There are also some cabinets across from 1A that the FAs kept on opening and slamming shut and there is a door that opens to stairs (Crew rest?) so there is a lot of traffic. Having said that, the footwell is enormous compared to the other window seats. I have sat in 3A and 5A and the footwell are much smaller.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by piemel

9L hands down IMO.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Troopers
Side question: will I need a two prong headphone adapter to use my Beats?
No. I used my Bose with one prong just fine with the IFE system. You should be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.