Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by jjmoore
9L booked on TPAC ... can't wait!!!!!! Any reason this seat is noted as better (in the wiki) than odd numbered L's that are further away from lavatories and gallies?
the usual bulkhead pros and cons. Also, the entryway to the seat is a touch wider.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
On the wiki, I notice it reccomends Row 9A/L over Row A/L And a preference for A over L

May I ask why? I've flown 9A/L and thought they were fine except for the bathroom being right infront. It was slightly bothersome but not really.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by eng3
May I ask why? I've flown 9A/L and thought they were fine except for the bathroom being right infront. It was slightly bothersome but not really.
There's an ongoing debate here whether the bulkhead is better on this aircraft than seats that are two or four rows back from the bulkhead (i.e., whether 1A is better than 3A or 5A). The author of the ranking in the wiki is a believer in the latter (bulkheads better). Following that same thinking (to which I am not an adherent), row 9 is better than row 1 because row 1 (especially 1A) is more likely to be subject to galley light and noise.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Zappity
The advantage of E+ with the narrow seat is that you have the legroom to cross your legs or extend them fully, which makes the narrow seat less of an issue.
Also, in my experience, the Y+ cabin is always the last to get filled up, so you have the best chance of getting an empty seat next to you.

Last edited by phkc070408; Jan 15, 2018 at 12:45 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
There's an ongoing debate here whether the bulkhead is better on this aircraft than seats that are two or four rows back from the bulkhead (i.e., whether 1A is better than 3A or 5A). The author of the ranking in the wiki is a believer in the latter (bulkheads better). Following that same thinking (to which I am not an adherent), row 9 is better than row 1 because row 1 (especially 1A) is more likely to be subject to galley light and noise.
I typically like the bulkhead more because of the footwells but that typically means more noise/light/etc from the galley. Is that the crux of the debate?

As for Row 1 vs 9, isnt there a galley infront of both?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I typically like the bulkhead more because of the footwells but that typically means more noise/light/etc from the galley. Is that the crux of the debate?
Yes, that and some people like the shelf in front of rows 1 and 9. I don't find the bigger footwell that important on this aircraft. It's not like the sCO seat (B/E Diamond) where bulkhead is miles better.

As for Row 1 vs 9, isnt there a galley infront of both?
Yes there's a galley, but much like on the 789 it affects row 1 more directly. The lavs are right in front of row 9 and reports are you can hear/feel the flush. I hate that but it doesn't bother others.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:43 am

Yes, I do like the shelf, but even that is less important because if you have a window seat, you can kind of "store" things in the space between the seat at the window. Kind of like on the 747 but not quite. Ofcourse you could argue that wall makes the seat narrow.

In row 9, I can hear the lavs flush, especially when its really quiet and I'm trying to sleep.
I'm one of those sleepers that likes it really dark so i use the eyeshade. So the galley light is not an issue, its more the chatty crew.

Anyways, on my SFO-AKL flight row 1 and 9 are open. I'll stick to my row 9 selection.
Still not sure if I prefer 9A or 9L. I am a stomach/side sleeper. When I am on my side, I prefer my right. So when I was in 9L I thought it would be an issue for my knees but it ended up being ok because there is room for my feet to stick out to the left. I've sat in 9A but only on a daytime TCON so i didnt sleep.

I'm on a 789 (6A) coming home via SYD so either way I know my outbout flight will be better than my return
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:47 am

I'm one of those sleepers that likes it really dark so i use the eyeshade. So the galley light is not an issue, its more the chatty crew.
There have been comments about galley light in 1A.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
There have been comments about galley light in 1A.
Yes, I meant to say that galley light in row 1 is not an issue FOR ME because I use an eyeshade.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Wife and I flying SFO-NRT (too bad we can't get the pj!'s). Currently selected 15 D/G. A bit concerned that row 9 is too close to the galley.

What's the downside of 17 D/G? To me it would see further away from the galley, and even less traffic as presumably only flight crew goes between J and Y. Is the forward J cabin warmer or cooler than the rear one?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Other than some of my ticky tack complaints about the seats and the cabin.... I flew 5A EWR-TLV. I would choose this exact seat again. It's the goldilocks seat...not too near, not too far from anywhere.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 10:08 am

Sorry if this has been covered but I'm on the wait list for an upgrade from SFO to TPE. I've currently selected seat 24J, exit row aisle seat. I know 24A/24L are the worst seats on the plane but does anyone have any experience with this seat? I'm a bigger guy but have no problem fitting in a traditional economy/E+ seat and all the extra leg room in this seat is very attractive. The fixed arms are what concern me. I would hate to be stuck in an uncomfortable seat for 14 hours should my upgrade not materialize.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by DutchessPDX
Sorry if this has been covered but I'm on the wait list for an upgrade from SFO to TPE. I've currently selected seat 24J, exit row aisle seat. I know 24A/24L are the worst seats on the plane but does anyone have any experience with this seat? I'm a bigger guy but have no problem fitting in a traditional economy/E+ seat and all the extra leg room in this seat is very attractive. The fixed arms are what concern me. I would hate to be stuck in an uncomfortable seat for 14 hours should my upgrade not materialize.

Any thoughts?
Just curious... what's your status.... 1K/GS? What are your travel dates? Chances of clearing TPAC upgrades are pretty heavily dependent on day of the week, and travel season.

There are some pretty attractive P fares out there that I would personally be willing to pay to secure a seat in Polaris on some TPAC routes (PEK is an example, as I am likely going to pay an additional $1000 to upgrade the return segment for my Mrs. on a return flight in May). Keep an eye on that as well if you can afford to fork over some additional $$... some of the P fares are very very attractive, but these fares are adversaries to those that wish to upgrade because many people do end up paying up the difference for these fares, and many business travelers capitalize on those fares that otherwise would fly Y or choose different routings to save $$. If you could provide more details on your travel dates, it may be easier to give advice on this one.

If you are flying with a partner, you may want to consider row 50 if it's available as this row has 2 seats at the windows.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Just curious... what's your status.... 1K/GS? What are your travel dates? Chances of clearing TPAC upgrades are pretty heavily dependent on day of the week, and travel season.

There are some pretty attractive P fares out there that I would personally be willing to pay to secure a seat in Polaris on some TPAC routes (PEK is an example, as I am likely going to pay an additional $1000 to upgrade the return segment for my Mrs. on a return flight in May). Keep an eye on that as well if you can afford to fork over some additional $$... some of the P fares are very very attractive, but these fares are adversaries to those that wish to upgrade because many people do end up paying up the difference for these fares, and many business travelers capitalize on those fares that otherwise would fly Y or choose different routings to save $$. If you could provide more details on your travel dates, it may be easier to give advice on this one.

If you are flying with a partner, you may want to consider row 50 if it's available as this row has 2 seats at the windows.

Thanks for replying! I'm UA Gold. I'm on the waitlist for the purchased upgrade using cash and miles, and my upgrade on the return flight has already cleared. Currently the price for a cash by-up is $2700 which is a little steep for me, but traditionally I've seen these fall as we get close to the travel date. If it dropped to the $1000 range I would just pay the cash buy-up. I leave on a Sunday, which I was thinking might help improve my chances since business travellers are more likely to leave on a Monday or weekday (at least that's my rational). I'm travelling solo and prefer to be in a E+ seat if I don't get an upgrade.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:33 pm
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
Does anyone know the Economy and E+ seat length? Distance from centerline backrest to the edge of seat? I cannot find through web and have given up searching this entire thread. I am looking to buy a seat cushion that will fill out most of seat without intruding into neighbors seat or that is too long it hangs over edge towards the back of my knees. Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.