Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Do you have the points to waitlist for United business saver?
Old Nov 24, 2017, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by leland
I'm also trying to weigh the relative value of using all my CSR points to switch to NZ in J if it opens up
Very very unlikely.

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Do you have the points to waitlist for United business saver?
+1. Better value than NZ, even if it were ever available. If OP doesn't have the points, can seat an alert in EF for available business saver inventory (I) and transfer points to UA if it opens.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
So late last night the seats I needed showed up for two NZ seats in J, would have been 50k UR points / miles each. Checked with the SO first and now they're gone. She said she was against the upgrade but my call - I was leaning towards it Valuewise it did feel like a lot of my UR points to put towards the one way flight relative to the Y fare (already had 50K UA from my prior life as a 1K so just needed to top up 30k URs to get the Y leg; would be 100k more to get a very wacky routing in NZ J). Either way snooze and lose. If it comes back up worth grabbing fast I guess?

I don't have any UA points left in my account, but I have enough CSR points to transfer if it opens up. So will set the EF alert, hopefully successfully.

How can I waitlist for business saver? Suppose I need the points already in my account? If so probably won't do that as better to keep the points flexible as UR points.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So late last night the seats I needed showed up for two NZ seats in J, would have been 50k UR points / miles each.
Wow, NZ never used to open award availability on this route. I'm surprised there were two seats in January.

How can I waitlist for business saver? Suppose I need the points already in my account? If so probably won't do that as better to keep the points flexible as UR points.
You have to call. Technically you do need the miles in your account, though waitlising tends to be a YMMV experience. At least half the time, the UA agent will tell you it's not possible, even though it is a published option.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow, NZ never used to open award availability on this route. I'm surprised there were two seats in January.
Could have been phantom then? In that case really glad I didn't transfer a bunch of UR points to try to book it.

I'm not super familiar with UA availability - for SFO-AKL any idea how likely it is for two seats to open? I imagine I'd have to book them one at a time, but big relationship conflict to end up with one Y and one J on that flight
Old Dec 1, 2017, 5:37 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I had 17A on yesterday's HKG-SFO (UA862) and it was a straight ahead seat. This was obviously better than my original E+ seat (UPG with miles+$600 from the Club over the phone to 1K desk,) but compared to AA's 77W product, very disappointing. There is about 6 to 7" wasted space along the wall/window with a metal tube covered in a vinyl material padded only along the top. The seat controls are located in this tube and it makes the seat feel cramped compared to no obstructions on AA's window seat which is wide open to the wall and with the arm rest down made for a much larger sleeping area. Plus, the tray under the screen and storage cubby has sharp edges and kept me from moving my knees up without contacting it as well as the shell along the small area to get out to the aisle. There is plenty of open space on the shell, so they should have placed the seat controls over on that part of the seat. Plus, the footwell was small (I'm under 6') and found that the combination of these non-ergonomical considerations made the seat one of the more uncomfortable experiences. Definitely not worth the $2059 for the UPG offer at checkin and barely worth the $600+30k miles.

Last edited by rbAA; Dec 1, 2017 at 6:29 am
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
We are a couple travelling on a 14 hour Polaris flight. Since we booked so far in advance, the ENTIRE Polaris cabin is empty. My wife likes the window seats and looking outside but is sensitive to noise (glasses, lav doors, etc). It doesn't bother me. We are both small to medium build. I wanted to try both the windows and the center seats, she is fine with having windows both directions but is open to trying the middle seats as well. So based on feedback here, I was thinking:

9A (for me) outbound
11A (for her) outbound

3D (for me) inbound
3G (for her) inbound

Would anyone recommend anything different? (9/11L vs 9A/11A). Also, is there a risk of me getting bumped for a person with a baby on any of these seats?

Would anyone recommend anything different.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
9A (for me) outbound
11A (for her) outbound

3D (for me) inbound
3G (for her) inbound
Seems pretty good. Depending on your own preferences for quality of window and seat versus proximity to your wife, you could grab the seat right behind her (12A) and you would be able to chat a little bit at an awkward angle. Personally I might do 3/5 A instead of 9/11 just to be further from the engine, but differences are very minor.

Also, is there a risk of me getting bumped for a person with a baby on any of these seats?
Yes, but a very small one.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:31 pm

9A (for me) outbound
11A (for her) outbound

3D (for me) inbound
3G (for her) inbound
Your reasoning is sound.

If neither of you is tall though I don't see a need for row 9 (or 1). So would agree with findark with rows 3/5 for the outbound. I would take the L side for the views and slightly less traffic.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Your reasoning is sound.

If neither of you is tall though I don't see a need for row 9 (or 1). So would agree with findark with rows 3/5 for the outbound. I would take the L side for the views and slightly less traffic.
Ok, I preferred 11 as it looks like it had lots of windows but I assume rows 3 or 5 have enough windows as well : - )
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Ok, I preferred 11 as it looks like it had lots of windows but I assume rows 3 or 5 have enough windows as well : - )
11A and 11L are my preferred for the 3 windows.

Here are my 11L shots from June - the 2 windows for max view:

Here's a shot looking over your shoulder for the 3rd window - still a spectacular view:

Here's where the 3rd window is relative to the seat:

David

Last edited by DELee; Dec 4, 2017 at 12:11 am
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:57 pm

I just got upgraded on an SFO-HKG flight. I have flown Polaris twice, both in 1A. I am short so do not really need the bulkhead but like it since prefer being in the first or last row of a cabin. 1A is taken but I am now holding 9A. The only odd row seats in the mini-cabin are in 5 and 7. I know 7 is not great. The whole second cabin is open. Are there any drawbacks to 5? Thinking I should leave 9A for a taller person. Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by daisyatl
Are there any drawbacks to 5?
Congrats on the upgrade! 5 is my favourite row, having tried 1AL, 5L twice, and 15DG as well as having sat in 9AL for a little. Quietness and lack of galley proximity were really good, and the bulk vs odd-number-non-bulk difference is not gigantic. Enjoy!
daisyatl likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
What do you guys think of this one. 11hrs, 9A I've heard is great. I like to take pictures, and like to see a little bit of the wing. Do I get any wing view here? Any suggestions based on the available seats right now?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
9A/L are my fav seats on the plane, good veiws good privacy and legroom for days.

Originally Posted by NoDestinations
What do you guys think of this one. 11hrs, 9A I've heard is great. I like to take pictures, and like to see a little bit of the wing. Do I get any wing view here? Any suggestions based on the available seats right now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.