Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Madone59
Jebus5

I agree with the above that the E- section is quite narrow - I'd go E+ if I was you.

For more information you may want to check out this thread: Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER
E+ vs E- has no bearing on the width of the seats - they are just as narrow and uncomfortable - the only difference is a few extra inches of legroom. Most people find a 17" 737 seat with minimal padding generally OK for a 3-5 hour flight, but not for 9+ hours.

If one finds a very cheap international fare, but won't or cannot upgrade, it's quite worthwhile do go the 'EXTRASEAT' route and get more lateral space.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K *G; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
I MUA'd to Polaris for Monday's 78 -- the second with the 77W. Definitely think it would be worth it if you have the means.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:57 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Sat in 9L this time. Great seat with a massive footwell. Loving the 77W
cbourl likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hotels.com WR Silver ;)
The advantage of E+ with the narrow seat is that you have the legroom to cross your legs or extend them fully, which makes the narrow seat less of an issue.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:08 pm

Ok, so 19G, 19L, 39J or 39L - these are all my options for the 14 hours. Where will I suffer least?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
best seat for couple?

Just book the new plane to FRA next Feb. Flying as a couple is row 1 center seats better than 9? My husband likes a window...one behind the other could be considered. Anyone done that?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by br2k
Ok, so 19G, 19L, 39J or 39L - these are all my options for the 14 hours. Where will I suffer least?
ouch. I hope you are under 5'2" tall and weight 110 lbs. comment about the airvents not reaching you in row 19, just above. I have no 411 on that. 39 will have slightly more leg room (nothing in front of you). I would probably trade off the "people congregating in front of you" of 39L for having to climb over your neighbors (19L)
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mmack
Just book the new plane to FRA next Feb. Flying as a couple is row 1 center seats better than 9? My husband likes a window...one behind the other could be considered. Anyone done that?
I think your options are a center pair for the best "couple experience", two odd windows for the best individual experience for each of you, and two consecutive windows (one odd one even) for a compromise. You can sort of lean back & over to talk in a pair like 1A and 2A but it's not optimal.

Sadly, I think your husband will have to choose between you and a window
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Are you right handed or left handed?

Seriously.

As a right handed person, I've found that while I might prefer the J exit/bulkhead aisle seat on either the 772HD or 773, if the person next to me in the K middle seat is large, I end up tilting left or crouching forward for much of the flight because I want to move my right arm.

If you like to sleep/nap leaning to your right, the L seats will work fine when you lean against the fuselage wall. However, the slide compartment in front of 39L may both limit you extending your legs forward and the seat may be a little cold from air leaks around the door.

19L will require you to climb out past 19K and 19J in order to walk the plane, etc.

The benefits of 19G is you'll have your right arm free. However, leaning left or right in 19G, 19J or 39J into the aisle, you'll likely have people encounters with whomever walk past.

The benefits of 39J and 39L is that you can quickly step forward and take over the lavatory, lock the door and then cry if you need to.

Good luck and let us know what seat you picked and how it worked for those 14 hours!

David
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Originally Posted by Zappity
The advantage of E+ with the narrow seat is that you have the legroom to cross your legs or extend them fully, which makes the narrow seat less of an issue.
Do your shoulders and butt get narrower when you cross your legs?
spin88 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Originally Posted by findark
I think your options are a center pair for the best "couple experience", two odd windows for the best individual experience for each of you, and two consecutive windows (one odd one even) for a compromise. You can sort of lean back & over to talk in a pair like 1A and 2A but it's not optimal.

Sadly, I think your husband will have to choose between you and a window
Maybe we'll do windows over(night) and together back as that's day. Any experience with row 1 versus row 9?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:29 pm

Ok, will opt for 19G for now - only one person to step over me, and should not be much isle traffic as it's right behind C (and those guys are probably smart enough not to walk into Y).
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Ok, will opt for 19G for now - only one person to step over me, and should not be much isle traffic as it's right behind C (and those guys are probably smart enough not to walk into Y).
I take exception to that remark. I usually take a stroll into Y sometime during every flight. Usually to see what it’s like back there (I have only seen Y on the 77W once 5 for6 on upgrades) or to visit colleagues who don’t make the grade on the upgrade list.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Ive only done real Polaris 777300ER once and it was fantastic!!! EWR-SFO 1A Best seat !!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
I take exception to that remark. I usually take a stroll into Y sometime during every flight. Usually to see what it’s like back there (I have only seen Y on the 77W once 5 for6 on upgrades) or to visit colleagues who don’t make the grade on the upgrade list.
If Y is as bad as it's being described - I'd worry about a passenger revolt and being physically assaulted.

If things keep going that way, they'll need to begin installing secure doors between the Y and the C compartments.
drewguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.