Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA,UAL Gold,AS,DL,MRD PP
B777 Row 2 or Row 9

Sorry if this had been asked and answered 100 times but on my way to NRT right now. I had row 2 for spouse and I on B777, NRT to SFO on flight 838. Just noticed it looks like they angle away from each other and table in the middle. I switched to row 9 to be together. Traveling partners are in row 1 but I figure it’s not possible to chat either way.

Any advise?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wvactions
Sorry if this had been asked and answered 100 times but on my way to NRT right now. I had row 2 for spouse and I on B777, NRT to SFO on flight 838. Just noticed it looks like they angle away from each other and table in the middle. I switched to row 9 to be together. Traveling partners are in row 1 but I figure it’s not possible to chat either way.

Any advise?
You want an odd numbered middle pair. Row 9 is a good choice if you won't be bothered by proximity to the galley and lavs. If you're sensitive to that kind of thing, you would probably prefer a different odd numbered pair (row 3, 5, 11, 15, or 17).
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA,UAL Gold,AS,DL,MRD PP
Thank you. Am I correct in we would not be able to chat with row 1 any easier in row 2 or 9. Realistically we will sleep most of the flight away.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wvactions
Thank you. Am I correct in we would not be able to chat with row 1 any easier in row 2 or 9. Realistically we will sleep most of the flight away.
If you have companions in row 1, you will be able to lean over the divider from row 2, but not from row 9 obviously. That is somewhat awkward, although not that awkward, but if you're averse to the whole idea then go for row 9. While seated no difference.

Lots more discussion here:
Old Apr 3, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The even numbered center seats are a bit awkward in that they face out to the aisle. Very little privacy. If you want to sleep, that's extra reason to pick an odd-numbered pair.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
Flew on the 773 a few weeks ago from FRA to EWR in 9A: It was my first inflight Polaris class with actual Polaris seat experience. I must say that this was by far my best business class trip on United when it comes to sleep comfort. I am 6’3 and around 220 lbs. I was able to lie flat on my back, push my knees through and could only barely touch the bulkhead wall with my toes. The privacy of this odd numbered window seat is great, too. I slept almost 5 1/2 hours straight on this 7 + hour flight and still managed to have my meal. The only issue I’ve had with the seat is the non existent arm rest on the left side. It is replaced with a divider/rail that acts as a de facto armrest (albeit not height adjustable) which “steals” a few valuable inches of space towards the window which my left arm would have loved to use to gain more space to the side. It wasn’t claustrophobic but the seat could be a little wider. Still, all in all this Polaris seat is much better than the sCO diamond seat (and no comparison at all to the sUA 2-4-2 forward/backward “business class” seat.) I’d definitely would choose this seat again.
kirkwoodj and AceReport like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: All the programs!
Traveling solo and want to get some sleep. Have 2G selected as it seems there's less traffic than the center seats further back. Not sure about odd vs even. I guess it's angled towards aisle vs. privacy but sitting close to a stranger. Thoughts?
I will keep checking for a window seat to open up.

Last edited by oopl; Apr 15, 2018 at 9:13 am
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I’d pick an odd row
iluv2fly and findark like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I’d pick an odd row
+1, definitely. The odd rows seclude you from the aisle. Choose a seat further back to avoid aisle traffic, but be mindful of the first row of economy and increased engine (white) noise. Personally I'd go with 15 or 17 middles, until you can snag an odd-numbered window.
iluv2fly and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Personally I'd go with 15 or 17 middles, until you can snag an odd-numbered window.
I would take row 15.

And keep watching for open odd-numbered windows.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: All the programs!
Thanks for the feedback. Went with 15G for now.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 12:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by oopl
Traveling solo and want to get some sleep. Have 2G selected as it seems there's less traffic than the center seats further back. Not sure about odd vs even. I guess it's angled towards aisle vs. privacy but sitting close to a stranger. Thoughts?
I will keep checking for a window seat to open up.

I have usually picked 9a/d for my flights and never notice any traffic. The seat is very isolated.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I have usually picked 9a/d for my flights and never notice any traffic. The seat is very isolated.
Looks like someone already did that, since all seats in row 9 are already taken.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:19 pm

I have an option of 17D/G or 18D/G (all that's left on the seatmap). I guess 17 is going to be slightly less-bad as a solo traveller, just because it's away from the aisle?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by quemalo
I have an option of 17D/G or 18D/G (all that's left on the seatmap). I guess 17 is going to be slightly less-bad as a solo traveller, just because it's away from the aisle?
Yup ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.