Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 4:45 pm

SFO-TLV-SFO in Y

As I like to have the "2 seaters" I booked row 50A and 51A on the 777-300. The lavratory from what I saw on a YouTube Video and online opens to the galley. Also the Aisle seat may or may not go out empty but for me its easier to step over one person than 2 people and I have noise cancelling headphones. I think this is the best option other than Economy Plus. To me I am in no rush to get on and off the plane! I have sat in the two seaters on the 747 and actually I really enjoyed it as it was quiet and my aisle seat was open!

I requested the Kosher Meals and hope they use a good caterer. A rumor stated that Borenstein/Regal caters United. I wonder how the meal will be compared to other airlines. I hope they will serve Craft Beers and I don't mind purchasing a scotch.

Your opinions on 50A and 51 A are greatly appreciated! I am a solo passenger but would rather have one seatmate than two!

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Let's face it, the -300 is a miserable bird in the back. Miserly uncomfortable super-slim seats that only a midget could fit in and horrible pleather surface that makes you sweaty and hot. . I don't see 50/51 being an advantage vs. almost every other seat on either side of the plane. Of course the middle of either the 3 or 4 rows of seats would be worse. Either aisle or window are equal in terms of someone in an adjacent seat, and so what if you have to disturb other people to use the facilities? It's part of travel.... If you can get an E+ window or aisle I'd do that. I did have 51 selected on my last TLV trip, but changed at the last moment when a window in E+ opened up. I was pleased I did as this bird often goes out full and the last 2 rows looked ghastly, lots of people standing just behind you talking and stretching, the crew yapping and making lots of galley noise and finally the ever present smell of someone who needed a #2 . I would not recommend.
BTW my experience (~3x per year, not in the vacation season) is that this plane goes out full almost every time, so don't expect that the seat next to you will be empty. It's never happened for me....

Last edited by timfountain; May 17, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Old May 17, 2018, 8:46 pm

Thanks for your reply about Row 51. I called back United and went for 19L on both legs
Old May 26, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: United Plat
Solo traveler. Not many seats left. HKG to SFO.

2A, 17D or 18L?
Old May 26, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by sfo3388

2A, 17D or 18L?
If it's like 18A, 18L is a window seat with two windows but you have to twist and stretch to see out of either of them. There's no window next to your sitting position. So it's not ideal if you want to look outside.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist

2A, 17D or 18L?
2A will be my choice because it is further away from the noisy engine, and you get served first.

Keep checking the seat Mao before the flight as last minute cancellation for business travelers do occur frequently. I have been a giver and taker of good seats due to cancellation on my part and others.
Old May 26, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
2A will be my choice because it is further away from the noisy engine, and you get served first.
Originally Posted by ajGoes
If it's like 18A, 18L is a window seat with two windows but you have to twist and stretch to see out of either of them. There's no window next to your sitting position. So it's not ideal if you want to look outside.
Thank you very much.
2A and 17D/G are still available. 2A is closer to exit and lavatory. Also I will get served first. Just wondering if 17D or G offers better privacy than 2A?
Old May 26, 2018, 7:16 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Thank you very much.
2A and 17D/G are still available. 2A is closer to exit and lavatory. Also I will get served first. Just wondering if 17D or G offers better privacy than 2A?
Row 17 will offer more privacy, but if you have any claustrophobia, D & G are very closed off, and don't have the benefit of the windows of A/L odd rows. There is a divider that goes up between the seats. It is movable, but if you move it down, you're up close and personal with your neighbor which is great for 2 people traveling together or for making new friends.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Between my last post in this thread and now, I have had a chance to sit in 3L and 9L on TPAC routes, and 5L on domestic.

3L was by far the superior seat of the three, as it was extraordinarily quiet from an engine noise standpoint, and also from a traffic standpoint. 3L is far enough from the galley that you do not hear the noise and commotion in that area. I literally fell asleep there on my PEK-SFO flight and slept a solid 6 hours before being awakened by a FA for breakfast approximately an hour before landing. I had an extremely pleasant experience here.

5L was a close second place to the 3L seat, as it was similarly quiet. I had this seat on a domestic SFO-DEN flight last weekend after returning from China, as it was substituted for the usual B772 that went mx. I would caution evaluating this seat any further since it was only a 2 hour flight, and I did not have the Polaris experience on this one.

9L was the seat I had flying SFO-PEK a couple weeks back, and even though this one had the feel of privacy, there was considerably more noise from the middle galley, and was in a prime location for a lot of foot traffic. I heard lots of glassware clanking around at all hours of the flight. Though this seat had privacy, I would not recommend it to someone looking for a good amount of sleep that is easily roused from sleep by noises.

All in all, I am very impressed with the Polaris experience. The food selections were diverse, and my significant other and I had no issue getting our first choices. The bedding was very comfy, and the makedown service was also very nice and made sleeping for longer periods not only possible, but comfortable as well.

I would rank the new Polaris seats on the B773 (and now select B763 and B772) as the best seats the United fleet has presented to its customers in the history of the company (and yes... I like them more than seat 1A on the B744!!).

Can't wait to fly in these seats again. Maybe SFO-CDG will swap to a Polaris B772 later this year in time for that trip...............
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Between my last post in this thread and now, I have had a chance to sit in 3L and 9L on TPAC routes, and 5L on domestic.
I concur that 3L is a very good seat, slightly quieter than 5L because the noise seems to travel more from the mid-cabin galley than the front galley (at least on the L side). I also liked 15A, and would not hesitate to pick either row 15 or 17, as I don't mind the engine noise and those seats are relatively low traffic.
jjmoore likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
1a has galley/light issues I think.
Yup. I flew Flew NRT-SFO in 1A yesterday. Although the privacy was good, I wouldn't recommend the seat in general. The light from the gallery/toilet area was annoying - not a problem when lying facing the window, but if if facing the aisle then it was enough to be noticeable. But more annoying was the flight attendants talking in that area, which seemed to echo right to where my head was when lying down. On multiple occasions I couldn't even see where the FA's that were talking were, but I could hear almost every word they were saying...

Flew over on 16L which is definitely one of the worst window seats as listed in the wiki due to the complete lack of a window.

A few days earlier I had 9A on FRA-SFO, and absolutely no complaints about that one!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
I concur that 3L is a very good seat, slightly quieter than 5L because the noise seems to travel more from the mid-cabin galley than the front galley (at least on the L side). I also liked 15A, and would not hesitate to pick either row 15 or 17, as I don't mind the engine noise and those seats are relatively low traffic.
Kacee; you have been great with your seat assessments on this craft, tyvm! I always used to gravitate to the bulkhead due to the footwell issue on non-Polaris J product. Is your sense that the non-bulkhead footwell on the 773ER is good for space when sleeping? If so, the odd numbered window seems like the winner for solo travel. Thoughts? Thanks!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Kacee; you have been great with your seat assessments on this craft, tyvm! I always used to gravitate to the bulkhead due to the footwell issue on non-Polaris J product. Is your sense that the non-bulkhead footwell on the 773ER is good for space when sleeping? If so, the odd numbered window seems like the winner for solo travel. Thoughts? Thanks!
I guess it all depends on your size. Not too big, odd numbered window is very good. Bigger feet and bigger size all around, most probably the bulkhead is better. But 1L is better than the 1A side due to extra bright lights near the toilets and the cockpit door on the 1A side (the 3-class 772 had the same problem where in First Class Row 2 is supposed to be the best, but that light on the A side was unbearable).

On a recent flight, my wife and I had 3L and 3A. I'm an average size man and I felt cramped in seat 3A. I'm not convinced I could stand up from my seat when it's in the lie flat position. My wife is above average height but slim and she really enjoyed seat 3L.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 12:48 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I guess it all depends on your size. Not too big, odd numbered window is very good. Bigger feet and bigger size all around, most probably the bulkhead is better. But 1L is better than the 1A side due to extra bright lights near the toilets and the cockpit door on the 1A side (the 3-class 772 had the same problem where in First Class Row 2 is supposed to be the best, but that light on the A side was unbearable).

On a recent flight, my wife and I had 3L and 3A. I'm an average size man and I felt cramped in seat 3A. I'm not convinced I could stand up from my seat when it's in the lie flat position. My wife is above average height but slim and she really enjoyed seat 3L.
In addition to size, I would also say it depends upon what kind of sleeper you are. If you're a flat on your back, don't move at all, then the non bulk-head should be fine. If you move around, like to have any room to move your legs, the bulk-head would be better. The cubby for your legs seem to extend further up the legs than either of the old seats and seems much narrower. As someone who used to dangle their feet off the sides of the seat I miss being able to do that. I'm not tall, just very restless and not a back sleeper. YMMV.

Last edited by sb3; Jun 5, 2018 at 5:09 pm
Old Jun 5, 2018, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
As the prior responses indicate, it depends on size and sleep preferences. I don't have any problem with the non-bulkhead footwells on the 77W. Side sleeper, 5-7, with a size 9 shoe. The only issue I have with the Polaris seat is where to put my arms, and a bigger footwell won't help with that. By contrast, I studiously avoid the 764 because the short seat and restrictive footwell make it impossible for me to get quality sleep. 788/9 is okay so long as I can get a bulkhead; otherwise footwell is too restrictive.

Big picture, I love the privacy of the odd-numbered window seat on this 77W. Slept 7 hours last trip NRT-SFO. The downside is now I don't want to fly any other UA seat.
jjmoore likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.