Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:20 am

I have flown in 1A, 9A and 9L. I am not a tall person. I like the bulkhead windows because generally do not like having people around me on all sides. A bit claustrophobic But thought maybe I would be ok on this plane if in the middle of the cabin because I am in my own cocoon. Unfortunately row 3 is already taken. How is row 5? Or do I just stick with bulkheads if 3 is not available? If so, 1L, 9A and 9L are available. I have not tried 1L. I have been reading the comments but do people find it noisier than 9L?

Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by daisyatl
I have flown in 1A, 9A and 9L. I am not a tall person. I like the bulkhead windows because generally do not like having people around me on all sides. A bit claustrophobic But thought maybe I would be ok on this plane if in the middle of the cabin because I am in my own cocoon. Unfortunately row 3 is already taken. How is row 5? Or do I just stick with bulkheads if 3 is not available? If so, 1L, 9A and 9L are available. I have not tried 1L. I have been reading the comments but do people find it noisier than 9L?
Row 5 is fine, you may get a little noise from the rear galley, but certainly quieter than row 1 or 9. Row 15 is also good, though there is more engine noise and you have people coming through the cabin during boarding. The privacy is outstanding in these seats.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Long time lurker, first-time poster. Flying SFO - FRA on UA58 later this week. I have access to E+, but my experience on the 772v4/domestic config is that the paired seats 48-52 are the best on the plane. Is row 50 similar on the 777-300ER, or do you recommend I just go for a window in E+ and hope the middle seat stays open?

Options are:
50L, 39A/L, various E+ window seats. Rows 19 and 24 are unavailable.

Appreciate all of the help -- I'll be sure to reply with how things turned out for future readers.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
39A/L. There's no point in going with 50L.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
6'4 -- is 39J (aisle) or 39L (window) better choice

Hi, all,

I have not flown economy in ages across the Atlantic. I am in the exit row (39L) now (thought it might be good to be able to lean against the window if I could sleep at all on the SFO-LHR flight) but am wondering at my height (6'4) how big a deal the door protrusion might be into my leg room. Would the aisle be a better choice (in spite of being bumped by passengers and carts)?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: CX Gold
I'm on an upcoming SFO-HKG flight. Currently 19B, 19G, 19K are all available, and 21C is also empty. Which of the four are the best? I guess 19G has good leg room, right? Any disadvantage of 19G? Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I'm on an upcoming SFO-HKG flight. Currently 19B, 19G, 19K are all available, and 21C is also empty. Which of the four are the best? I guess 19G has good leg room, right? Any disadvantage of 19G? Thanks!
If I were on that flight, I would take 19G. I don't like passengers reclining in my space so 21C is out. I don't like middle seats so 19B and 19K are out. If there's not enough legroom, you can always do what every other passengers on aisle seats do: put their legs in the aisle and being in the front of that section, there's less passengers walking around.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
If I were on that flight, I would take 19G. I don't like passengers reclining in my space so 21C is out. I don't like middle seats so 19B and 19K are out. If there's not enough legroom, you can always do what every other passengers on aisle seats do: put their legs in the aisle and being in the front of that section, there's less passengers walking around.
Thanks for the reply! We actually have similar views I really hate people reclining into my space, so 19G it is!
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by igor_s
Long time lurker, first-time poster. Flying SFO - FRA on UA58 later this week. I have access to E+, but my experience on the 772v4/domestic config is that the paired seats 48-52 are the best on the plane. Is row 50 similar on the 777-300ER, or do you recommend I just go for a window in E+ and hope the middle seat stays open?

Options are:
50L, 39A/L, various E+ window seats. Rows 19 and 24 are unavailable.

Appreciate all of the help -- I'll be sure to reply with how things turned out for future readers.
19 L had plenty of legroom if that becomes available. You could eaisly watch the movie and use the tray table. l lucked out with the middle seat open and had a very nice seatmate! We shared the middle seat and middle seat tray table!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:56 am

I will be flying on United's 777-300ER Polaris Business class for the first time this November.

Chose seats 1D and 1G for me and the wife due to extra legroom.

Does the lack of overhead storage for the center bulkhead seats cause any issues? Only planning on bringing 1 carry on sized suitcase.

Any noise issues?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by night718
I will be flying on United's 777-300ER Polaris Business class for the first time this November.

Chose seats 1D and 1G for me and the wife due to extra legroom.

Does the lack of overhead storage for the center bulkhead seats cause any issues? Only planning on bringing 1 carry on sized suitcase.

Any noise issues?
You should be able to find overhead space without trouble, but it won't be right above you.

No noise issues.
night718 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by danielonn
19 L had plenty of legroom if that becomes available. You could eaisly watch the movie and use the tray table. l lucked out with the middle seat open and had a very nice seatmate! We shared the middle seat and middle seat tray table!
TPE-SFO this fall.

Can choose between 19A and 39L. Would I have hard time getting out of 19A when my seatmates are sleeping?

Also my flight has R class available but 7L is the only window and odd-numbered seat left. I know it is near galley and lavatory. Still better than 19A or 39L?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by sfo3388
TPE-SFO this fall.

Can choose between 19A and 39L. Would I have hard time getting out of 19A when my seatmates are sleeping?

Also my flight has R class available but 7L is the only window and odd-numbered seat left. I know it is near galley and lavatory. Still better than 19A or 39L?
NO brainer
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
TPE-SFO this fall.

Business class is infinitely better than coach. If you have a GPU it’s a no brainer to use it even if it’s 7L. Odd numbered J seats are fine. No less private than the legacy international J seats.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TPE-SFO this fall.

Are you actually asking to compare the Polaris seat to 10-across economy?

If you do stay in 19A, how is your balance? A nimble person can get out without bumping, but it requires some care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.