Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by fumje
The only other possible best seat would be 3A, depending on the sun and which direction you prefer to view.

That said, I usually choose 1L if I can, as the galley noise doesn't bother me, and I kind of like watching what they are doing (I know that sounds strange).
3L is on the night flight returning, so I should be on the shaded side the entire way.... unless it takes a 12 hour delay and becomes a daytime flight
Old May 4, 2018, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Only 2 more weeks until my 3L experience in B773 Polaris on my TPAC itinerary!! I will post a brief summary of the experience. I'm hoping I picked the best seat in the Polaris cabin... thoughts?
There are a number of seats on this aircraft which I believe are equally desirable for a solo traveler - specifically, windows in row 3, 5, 11, 15, or 17. Which one is "best" will depend on how things work out on your flight - are the FAs in the front galley making more noise than normal? Is there a crying baby in the bassinets in the front of the Y cabin? Are the FAs letting pax from Y use the J lavs?

I've flown in 3L three or four times and would choose it again.
jjmoore likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:48 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
There are a number of seats on this aircraft which I believe are equally desirable for a solo traveler - specifically, windows in row 3, 5, 11, 15, or 17.
I currently have a 9A seat (which the wiki says is the best) how does it compare to say 11 or 3?
Old May 4, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mr8
I currently have a 9A seat (which the wiki says is the best) how does it compare to say 11 or 3?
I don't like being that close to the lavs. Others don't mind.

Also, the bulkheads (rows 1 and 9) on this aircraft have a bigger footwell, but that's not nearly the issue on this aircraft that is on the aircraft with the sCO seat. It may make a difference if you're really tall and/or have large feet, but doesn't matter to me, as I find the regular footwells just fine.
mr8 likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by mr8
3 will be quietest in terms of engine and lav noise. 9 does get some vibration from the lav flush, which can be annoying at times, but is served first. 11 isn't bad, but is close to the engine and will have the most engine noise.

I would likely take 3 over 9, if only for personal comparison to my previous flights in 9 and 11. I have taken most of my flights in 9.
mr8 likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by tht
Avoid 11A on 777-300 #2139 for the next day or 2 unless you want a $300 ETC or 15,000 Miles. Headphone jack is broken.
I had the same experience with the audio the other day. I mentioned it and the flight attendant said he would reset the audio. Then it worked. Did you try that? I never knew the audio was independent of the video until hen.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, M Life Gold, SIXT Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tht
Avoid 11A on 777-300 #2139 for the next day or 2 unless you want a $300 ETC or 15,000 Miles. Headphone jack is broken.
Is that what you got for a broken headphone jack? Interesting. Did you request and receive some written confirmation from the flight attendant? Did you pass it on to the 1K desk or what is the protocol here? Thanks!
Old May 8, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Is the reason why 9A is ranked higher than 1A the proximity to the accessible bathroom?

Considering I don't necessarily see that as that big of a benefit, should I go out of my way to change my assignment from 1A to 9A?
Old May 8, 2018, 9:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
1a has galley/light issues I think.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Hmm. I'll look into changing seats then.

Thank you!
Old May 8, 2018, 10:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
1a has galley/light issues I think.
And more likely to be FAMed vs 9A
Old May 8, 2018, 10:14 pm

I sat in 5L NRT-SFO Monday. It's basically the same as 3L - if FAs are banging carts in the rear galley, you'll hear it. Think I'd take row 3 next time - farther from the engines, closer to the door (assuming they exit 1L).

Slept seven hours. IMO this is a much more comfortable seat for sleeping than the sCO B/E Diamond (which I had flown two days earlier).
Old May 9, 2018, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by quemalo
Thanks! Still a few days until the flight, so I'll just keep checking back to see if any window seat opens. No one next to me yet, so maybe I'll just get lucky and have a throne seat in row 17
18L opened up at some point, so I immediately jumped to that. Turned out to be a great seat, very quiet. There wasn't much noise from economy through the mesh curtain, and almost no foot traffic. And even as a lowly Gold I ended up with fantastic service from the FA working my aisle. Flight went out entirely full, so I'm very glad that I moved to 18L

The only real complaint was 18G took all his overhead space, all of my overhead space, and all of the overhead space for 17G as well. So I had to put my backpack 3 rows up. He was really loud to the FA as well, pretty much a classic case of DYKWIA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 9, 2018 at 3:33 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Travelling with my wife on a 77W (SFO -> NRT) at the end of May. Shows only available center/pair seats are 11, 15 and 17 D/G.

I currently have the 11D/G picked but these are pretty much all the same, correct?
Old May 16, 2018, 8:44 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by BrianSF
I had the same experience with the audio the other day. I mentioned it and the flight attendant said he would reset the audio. Then it worked. Did you try that? I never knew the audio was independent of the video until hen.
The headphone sockets were missing (it was juts a void), so no reset would have helped, a new replacement part they did not have in FRA was needed. . I Just used my iPad and headphones to watch the Movies via the United app..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.