Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: drewguy
United is rolling out the 777-300ER to its fleet. These planes will be the first to feature the new Polaris business class seating, with direct aisle access.

Information about the plane from the United website is here

The plane features 60 Polaris class seats, 24 Premium Plus seats, 62 Economy plus seats, and 204 Economy seats. All economy seating is in a 3-4-3 format (except for 2-4-2 in the last two rows of the plane).

Seat width in economy is 17", down from the 18" in the sUA 777-200, and slightly narrower than the 787 width of 17.3". Bassinets are provided in 20EF, 30EF, and 46EF - the center seats on the three bulkhead rows.

Polaris seats have their own power outlets; Economy seats also have power (2 outlets per 3 seats or 2 per 4 seats; all bulkhead seats have their own power). Each seat has a dedicated USB power port as well.

Detailed seating plan: AeroLOPA -- https://www.aerolopa.com/ua-boeing-77w

From sbm12:
I flew on the media preview flight this week and wrote up a detailed report on which seats are good and bad on the new United 77W. Here's a summary of my thoughts.

Polaris Seating

General notes
  • Accessible lav at 2L is the largest on board and useful for PJs changing.
  • Row 1 has no overhead bins in the center.
  • Galley at 2L/R handles crew meals so will be busier than the forward galley throughout the flight. There is also a "passthrough" at 2L/2R that is not a galley but has shelves for food prep and snacks. As a result, the front row of the second cabin isn't quite as directly exposed to galley noise.
Seating choices
  • Bulkhead seats remain the best choice for foot well reasons. "Straight" seats are second best while angled seats have a tapered foot well for the last 10 inches of the bed length.
  • The downside of the "straight" seats is the 9" notch to slide in through but overall those will remain my seats of choice. Avoid 6/7/8 for noise reasons IMO.

• Even-row "window" seats are a bit of a misnomer. The window, if any, is across a utility table and not well-positioned for viewing. They're more semi-aisle seats.
  • Row 16 has no window. Row 18 has one window far to the rear and part of another forward. The angles are such that you can barely see out of either.
Best Window Seat (best to worst):
  • 9A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 9L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise and lav should be considered)
  • 1A (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered)
  • 1L (good seat, but proximity to galley/light/noise should be considered) Picture from 1L
  • any other odd-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • any other even-numbered A/L (slight preference to A over L)
  • 7A/L
  • 8A/L
  • 6A/L
  • 16A/L
Best Center Pair Seat (best to worst):
  • 9D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • 1D/G (slight preference to D over G)
  • Any other odd
  • Any other even

Economy Plus
  • AVOID 3024A/L [seats renumbered with addition of PP at all costs. Freezing cold in flight and the narrowest seats on board. Plus no window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Bulkhead seats have good legroom, very similar to what extending your feet on a normal row would offer.

Economy
  • Row 5650 outside pairs are some of the best, though all the way at the back. A little extra space (especially under-seat stowage) and still some overhead space, something 57 lacks. Row 57 also has a misaligned window.
  • Aisle seats are a smidgen narrower and the center 4-block has legroom issues.
  • Baby Bassient Positions in Business: 9A & 9L, PP 20EF, E+ 30EF, 46EF
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-300ER

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Thoughts on 7 A/L versus 17 A/L? Engine or galley?
I would take 17. Apart from engine noise, it's actually pretty peaceful back there at the rear of the second cabin.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:10 am

Picked one of the last window seats (2L) aside from 18A for my HKG-SFO leg. I'm frantically checking every day to try to get one of the odd numbers instead. Is it awkward to look out the window from one of the even seats?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
18A has one window forward, one to the rear, and a missing middle window. Because of the missing middle window, you can barely see outside without contorting yourself.

I haven't ridden in other even seats but I think you get better visibility from them.

Last edited by ajGoes; Jul 21, 2018 at 8:47 am Reason: Insert a missing comma
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I loved 9A on my recent SFO-HKG flight BUT they need to put a stopper to stop the lav door banging. Could not hear any flushing noise but the number of people that let the door fling open (irrespective of whether they were entering or exiting was insane).

The legroom in 9A is awesome but am trying 1L for the NRT-SFO flight. Think 9L would be even better than 1L.

Liked 1A on my LHR-SFO flight but FAs congregated near the seat and talked (which was fine on a day flight) so would not choose 1A for a red eye flight.
mikeyf likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
<snip>

Liked 1A on my LHR-SFO flight but FAs congregated near the seat and talked (which was fine on a day flight) so would not choose 1A for a red eye flight.
1A on my last flight. I also had problems with FAs talking in galley and keeping me up when it was clear that most of the cabin was trying to get some sleep. I was wearing earplugs and had on a pair of sound-cancelling headphones.

Anyone know if this is less of a problem in 1L? I should have checked, but are there more jump seats on the port side of the plane?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I loved 9A on my recent SFO-HKG flight BUT they need to put a stopper to stop the lav door banging. Could not hear any flushing noise but the number of people that let the door fling open (irrespective of whether they were entering or exiting was insane).
Originally Posted by willryu
1A on my last flight. I also had problems with FAs talking in galley and keeping me up when it was clear that most of the cabin was trying to get some sleep. I was wearing earplugs and had on a pair of sound-cancelling headphones.

Anyone know if this is less of a problem in 1L? I should have checked, but are there more jump seats on the port side of the plane?
I honestly don't understand the obsession with rows 1 and 9 unless you're really tall. Why choose to be so close to the galley and lavs? It's not like there's a legroom issue in the non-bulkhead seats. The tight part of this seat is at the chest and shoulders.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
I honestly don't understand the obsession with rows 1 and 9 unless you're really tall. Why choose to be so close to the galley and lavs? It's not like there's a legroom issue in the non-bulkhead seats. The tight part of this seat is at the chest and shoulders.
I find I get better sleep with a larger footwell. I am only 5' 7" but I turn a lot and when my feet are constricted it wakes me. It is a personal issue but the larger footwell is a necessity for me to be able to sleep.
mikeyf and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by willryu

1L is worse than 1A. The galley is directly in front of the 1L. The crew rest is near 1A. I would not pick any seats in row 1.

Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

1L is worse than 1A. The galley is directly in front of the 1L. The crew rest is near 1A. I would not pick any seats in row 1.
Thank you for answering my question. I'm OK with the "scheduled" noises of meal and drink service. I'm more bothered with noise from groups of FAs talking at random times time during the "sleep" portion of the flight. Normally I'm in 3A but on this flight there were no more odd row window seats and I had to pick a D/G center. 1L opened and I thought I would give it a try for a real world experience rather than just a reading the forum experience.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:25 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

Agreed. Not only the chatting, but the incessant banging of the carts near that seat. Not a great experience whatsoever.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Agreed. Not only the chatting, but the incessant banging of the carts near that seat. Not a great experience whatsoever.
It depends on how sensitive to the noise you are. I have sat in 1 D/G before, and if you are tired, you will be out like a light regardless of the noise.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Just flew SFO-TPE-SFO. My travels says 9L is favorite, largest business seat. Underneath footwell could store my backpack, while 5L was super narrow. That was the key difference, also 5L seemed a bit harder to get out (guess i may be a bit more hefty since i sit in planes all day and don't move). Unfortunately 5L is so secluded, they missed me for breakfast before landing at SFO...could have spoken up - but meh
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Traveling as a couple on HKG -> SFO in December and the cabin is pretty much wide open. Would you recommend 1DG or 9DG for 2 seats next to each other?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by godbreath
Traveling as a couple on HKG -> SFO in December and the cabin is pretty much wide open. Would you recommend 1DG or 9DG for 2 seats next to each other?
If I was to choose I would go with 1DG over 9DG taking galley noise over lav noise. As a solo I normally choose A or L in those rows.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
If I was to choose I would go with 1DG over 9DG taking galley noise over lav noise. As a solo I normally choose A or L in those rows.
I have a choice of 1A or 9A/9L. Solo traveler on an afternoon flight landing in Europe in the morning. Would you agree with the logic that galley noise is better than lav noise? Currently in 9L.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.